Day Pupils

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Day Pupils

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Does anyone have any information about day pupils who over the years at Horsham were generally those with parents who taught or were employed at the school and therefore lived in the family home either on C H premises or nearby in Horsham? I am thinking of the offspring of J.E.Massen, Hon. D.S. Roberts , W. Armisted, L.A. Bates, cricket coach, Sergeant Major Carter , and Bandmaster Stagg. The School Clerk Roger C. Evans lived at Cranleigh
and had two sons in Coleridge B , Michael C. and Derek,C,Evans. Did some of these commute daily to their homes if outside the estate? I assume that they did their homework and had meals at school and merely slept at home. They were all certainly allocated to a house.
How many day pupils are there now at the school and do they all live in nearby villages ?
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day Pupils

Post by postwarblue »

Richard Massen certainly lived in Col B and became House captain. Robert Armistead (if memory serves) lived in Mid A.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
William
3rd Former

Post by William »

Len Bates’s son was in La B and Sgt Maj Carter’s son in Pe A. I don’t recollect their initials, but the latter left CH to go to Cranwell (the RAF College) as an officer cadet. Does anyone know how he fared there and after? He was a bright spark and could imitate his father’s idiosyncratic way of speaking very well. Both of them, like young Massen, were not day boys, but full time members of their houses.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

J.H. Carter (PA 49-56) lived in Horsham and may well not have been a day boy.
P.H. Bates was in Prep A and Coleridge B 1941-48, not Thornton A, and emigrated to New Zealand. He died some years ago. The Bates family lived in King Edward's Avenue in a tied CH house.
Does anyone know if the Evans brothers in Coleridge B were day boys ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kit Bartlett wrote:J.H. Carter (PA 49-56) lived in Horsham and may well not have been a day boy.
P.H. Bates was in Prep A and Coleridge B 1941-48, not Thornton A, and emigrated to New Zealand. He died some years ago. The Bates family lived in King Edward's Avenue in a tied CH house.
Does anyone know if the Evans brothers in Coleridge B were day boys ?

Whate era, Christopher ?

There was one Evans in Coleridge B during my time and he was definitely a border and I'm pretty sure not the son of a member of school staff.

To be honest, I don't recall ANY pupils during my time that were definitely 'Day Only Boys' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There were three Evans boys in Coleridge B. in the nineteen forties.
D.C. 39-47 and M.C, 41-48 were brothers and sons of the Clerk, Roger Courtenay Evans. BB 12-17. they also had a sister at Hertford, G. Evans Ward 4, 42-49.
The third was D.L. Evans, no relation, Prep B 40-47.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's a shame my mothers late cousin isn't still allive. Richard ('Dick') Doyle who was in Coleridge B around this time.

He went straight into the forces from school and was badly wounded, I beleive in Italy, losing part of a leg in WWII. Land-mine, if memory serves.

Eventually retired to live in South Reigate, where he passed away a few years ago. He kept very much up to date on CH matters, but Coleridge B in particular. He may well have been able to throw more light on the subject.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

'Boney' Evans leaving Col B in 1948 just overlaps with my arrival in the house in 1947. Why 'Boney' I have no idea.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

R.M. Doyle was in Coleridge B 1934-40. He was a Donation Governor.
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by 3078260061 »

My time in Col.B (1944-54) overlapped with four day boys . They participated fully in all house activities, and only went home at night. Both the Evans brothers (D.C & M.C) commuted to & from Cranleigh on the Horsham-Guildford train, although when D.C. became a monitor he started living in the house full time.
Massen and Bates had homes on the estate, and were at the House from breakfast to bedtime. I don't remember how the Evans brothers fitted in at the start and end of the day, which obviously depended on the train timetable.
Brian Polley, Col.B 1944-1953
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The doctor's son Peter Scott was a day-boy in ThB (his much older brother had been in PeB) until he became a monitor, then he became a boarder. I think this was general practice. He would arrive every morning in time for chapel.

Among other staff day-boys in my time were the Eagle brothers (LaB, the older one was killed in a cycling accident during the holidays) and the Matthews twins (ColA ?). There was a woodwork master called Norman whose son was in LaA, and so was Fish Edwards' son.

These boys were called 'non-foundationers' and I think this precluded them from boarding unless their monitorial status demanded it (monitors of course did a huge amount of unpaid work for the school, and so there was a certain logic here.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:
Among other staff day-boys in my time were the Matthews twins (ColA ?).
I certainly knew Matthews twins at the end of the 1950's but don't remember any parental connection. As trades mon I would have treated them exactly like any other boys of their year unless arrangements had been made for special treatrment. For example second year would have been on trades, being required to be in the Dining Hall at 7.05am latest and helping to clear up after meals.
A pity Ken Brown is no longer around - he doubled for me from time to time and would remember
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!