Threads being moved

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Threads being moved

Post by rockfreak »

When I checked the "First Time Visitors" section which heads off the list of categories I noticed with interest that some of the threads that were previously on the "CH Stuff" site had been moved on to the former section. Including threads like "God in the Quad". Now why should this be, I wondered. Are the moderators perhaps Born Again Christians who hope to bury the robust discussions we have been having about religions matters on a section which they believe will be less visited? Is this section to be a repository for all embarrassing comments which may in some way demean the glorious name of Christ's Hospital? Perhaps these threads were there in the first place and I didn't notice. This might be a possibility at my age. But clearly they are in the wrong place. When I first pioneered the Politics thread there were complaints from some quarters that my thread was somehow inappropriate as CH stuff. Are the moderators subtly brushing some threads under the carpet or am I just paranoid?

On second thoughts maybe they were there on First Time Visitors all along. Maybe there are other people as confused as me about computers to get things in the right place. In which case, apologies to the Moderators. A Funny Thing happened on the way to the CH Forum.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Threads being moved

Post by J.R. »

Not sure I know the answer.

Julian might.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:41 pm When I checked the "First Time Visitors" section which heads off the list of categories I noticed with interest that some of the threads that were previously on the "CH Stuff" site had been moved on to the former section. Including threads like "God in the Quad". Now why should this be, I wondered. Are the moderators perhaps Born Again Christians who hope to bury the robust discussions we have been having about religions matters on a section which they believe will be less visited? Is this section to be a repository for all embarrassing comments which may in some way demean the glorious name of Christ's Hospital? Perhaps these threads were there in the first place and I didn't notice. This might be a possibility at my age. But clearly they are in the wrong place. When I first pioneered the Politics thread there were complaints from some quarters that my thread was somehow inappropriate as CH stuff. Are the moderators subtly brushing some threads under the carpet or am I just paranoid?

On second thoughts maybe they were there on First Time Visitors all along. Maybe there are other people as confused as me about computers to get things in the right place. In which case, apologies to the Moderators. A Funny Thing happened on the way to the CH Forum.
To the best of my knowledge, having followed the thread with interest from inception, 'God in the Quad' started and remained in 'First Time Visitors.'
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Sorry! It's probably just down to me having le vieux tete up le vieux derriere as I get older.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Have I got the gender of "tete" right (see above)? I did French for six years at CH and was recently struggling to give the most basic directions to some French tourists in London.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm Have I got the gender of "tete" right (see above)? I did French for six years at CH and was recently struggling to give the most basic directions to some French tourists in London.
Does gender enter the equation ?

I haven't actively spoken French for years, but I knew exactly what you meant.

And while on the subject of politics and the French. Any bets on the Sunday election result ?

OK - You all know I'm basically a right winger. So - If Marine Le Pen wins, that'll be the end of the now very COMMON market.

Ooops - I fear another Brexit referendum coming on. BIG YAWN !!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

If France wants Frexit, surely they'll just face the same problems that we are going to have with Brexit. The mindblowing attempts to unravel forty years of legislation. The so-called populist right failed in Austria and Holland; if they fail in France that will be the end of any so-called "domino theory" of EU disintegration. I still maintain that freedom of capital is more of a problem than freedom of movement. It has created massive inequality, damaging speculation (as the uber rich throw their excess wealth about rather than investing it in anything useful), and as the rich get richer so the poor get poorer and emigrate to the richer countries with predictable social upheaval.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Have I got the gender of "tete" right

Seeing you ask, no. :)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 4:36 pm Have I got the gender of "tete" right

Seeing you ask, no. :)
and he forgot the circumflex ê as in la tête

Don't worry, John, even the French get it wrong sometimes
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

and he forgot the circumflex ê as in la tête

Yep. As Arthur Rider said, hats have heads, phantoms have hoods and hotels have roofs.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:36 am and he forgot the circumflex ê as in la tête

Yep. As Arthur Rider said, hats have heads, phantoms have hoods and hotels have roofs.
I guess that you are lucky; my laptop died permanantly and I had to get an HP. What a disaster; the old one had all the accented letters, tildes, circumflexes, umlauts etc as keys as well as French, Portuguese and English spellchecks preloaded. (I don't know about Spanish). Makes a difference when a third of correspondence is in a foreign langauge. HP forgot the lot!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm
michael scuffil wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:36 am and he forgot the circumflex ê as in la tête

I guess that you are lucky; my laptop died permanantly and I had to get an HP. What a disaster; the old one had all the accented letters, tildes, circumflexes, umlauts etc as keys as well as French, Portuguese and English spellchecks preloaded. (I don't know about Spanish). Makes a difference when a third of correspondence is in a foreign langauge. HP forgot the lot!

The joys of technology !!
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I seem to remember him telling us that a circumflex was a sign for a missing 's'. So pâté-->paste, hôtel-->hostel etc.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm

I have a little flag at the top off the screen which tells me which language the keyboard is using. Pretty useful as I normally write in English on a Spanish Keyboard.
By clicking on the flag I can switch languages.
My French daughter in law has a French keyboard which infuriates my son, when he forgets to switch to the English keyboard.
I use Apple but my son is stuck in a Microsoft warp.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

The circumflex has been dealt with well.

Now what about the same sign ( ^ ) when it is placed under the line of letters, meaning that something written above the line must be inserted? What is this sign called and why?

(I learned this from The Oil in a Latin class, so I suppose there is some vague relevance for this forum. Also I am happy to show off.)