RESEARCH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

RESEARCH

Post by Foureyes »

I am carrying out some research of a 'then-and-now' nature and would be most grateful if anyone can supply me with the following information regarding C.H., please:
1. Years. Any time between 1947 and 1957.
2. Weekly programme of lessons by time (not worried about subject). Something like Lesson 1 0900-0940, Lesson 2. 0945-1025. Break ....etc etc. My recollection is that we had four lessons before lunch and two in late afternoon, but could be wrong.

The timings must have been laid down somewhere, but does anyone have a copy or suggest where one might be found, please?

David :shock:
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: RESEARCH

Post by LongGone »

I am pretty sure there was a thread that provided this information within the last year, but a quick search didn't pick it up.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

LongGone,
Many, many thanks. I have now found the thread which, to my complete astonishment, is headed 'Daily Timetable'!! Duh!- should have looked there first.

To take it a step further, can anyone remember any standard disruptions to the teaching timetable? My only recollections are: the Whole Holiday and CCF Field Day (both during Summer Term) and St Matthew's Day (Michaelmas Term).

I also recall several 'one-offs': marching to Horsham to see the very occasional film, such as 'Coronation'; also the even more occasional special holiday - I seem to recall that Monty gave one after inspecting the CCF, but there may have been others.

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

R

Post by Kit Bartlett »

A visit from the President, only two in my time in 1942 and 1947' usually resulted in the granting of an extra half holiday ,
Does anyone recall much about the late Prince Henry, Duke of. Gloucester ? Apparently he had very little conversation and was a poor public speaker. Peter Kendall, senior Grecian mentioned this to me.
Teddy Edwards told a tale about the visit of the then president in 1930'the Prince of Wales when visiting the then Manual school when he delayed the whole timetable of the visit by wanting to see a boy complete his task of constructing something.
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

Another minor and rare disruption to the morning time table occurred when morning PT was officially cancelled. (There was no outside PT on Sundays, Saturdays or Wednesdays.) This could happen if there was continuous rain or snow at about 9 30 am. In that case the Big School bell would be wrung continuously for a while (about 20 seconds?) and then the end of second period would be delayed a bit (about 15 minutes?).

If you wish to tell us what the timetable research is for, please don’t hesitate? My guess is that you are writing a murder mystery set in CH. The murderer is a teacher. Hence the timing of his/her movements, during the morning of the crime, is critical for the plot development.

Others may have alternative theories. So here’s a suggestion. Perhaps you can delay any response to my question, if you choose to answer it, to allow alternative theories to be posted. Then you can offer a (big?) prize to the most accurate guess.
JohnAL
3rd Former

Post by JohnAL »

Here are three other happenings from the President’s (Prince of Wales/Duke of Windsor) visit in 1921. After leaving the Manual School he visited Lamb A, where he joined a game of billiards (or demonstrated his prowess) and pocketed a red ball. While lunching on the dais a Col B junior poured a mug of water down the neck of another boy and this was seen by the Duke. Also he visited the Chapel and commented (ladies’ man that he was) on, “the omission from Mr Brangwyn’s cartoons of any striking types of female beauty.”
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

JohnAL wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:11 pm Here are three other happenings from the President’s (Prince of Wales/Duke of Windsor) visit in 1921. After leaving the Manual School he visited Lamb A, where he joined a game of billiards (or demonstrated his prowess) and pocketed a red ball. While lunching on the dais a Col B junior poured a mug of water down the neck of another boy and this was seen by the Duke. Also he visited the Chapel and commented (ladies’ man that he was) on, “the omission from Mr Brangwyn’s cartoons of any striking types of female beauty.”
Of course there were no females. This was a Protestant school. All stern male disciples and martyrs. Virgins? Annunciations? Pietas? Gettaway! They might have introduced a subversive element of female softness to a school and a system founded on the Protestant work ethic which served us so well in holding down an empire. "What about us?" I can hear St Catherine and St Agnes cry. "Calm down dears!" as David Cameron might have said. "You're just girls!" The historian and art critic Kenneth Clark once said that Islam, Judaism and the Protestant North had produced no great religious art: indeed sometimes positively forbidden it. And he said that no society could be truly whole by not balancing the male and female elements. Sadly we see that today where even the female Tory politicians like Theresa May come across like men in drag. Watching the TV documentary on Princess Diana's death the other night and being reminded of the almost Mediterranean hysteria, I couldn't help but think that she was the Catholic Madonna that we have never had.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 am
To take it a step further, can anyone remember any standard disruptions to the teaching timetable? My only recollections are: the Whole Holiday and CCF Field Day (both during Summer Term) and St Matthew's Day (Michaelmas Term).
Not sure if it was the Prep only but we had a day at Climping (the seaside) during the summer term. Being used to bathing in the CH pool naked we were a bit concerned about there being outsiders at the seaside. In the event we were provided with white swimming trunks - but they became transparent when wet!

Also I think it was three days off for a couple of days early in June 1953 for the coronation.

Didn't Monty ask for a day off lessons during the General's inspection late in the 1950's?

I think that we got a half day off lessons for half term.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Foureyes wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:11 pm I am carrying out some research of a 'then-and-now' nature and would be most grateful if anyone can supply me with the following information regarding C.H., please:
2. Weekly programme of lessons by time (not worried about subject). Something like Lesson 1 0900-0940, Lesson 2. 0945-1025. Break ....etc etc. My recollection is that we had four lessons before lunch and two in late afternoon, but could be wrong.

The timings must have been laid down somewhere, but does anyone have a copy or suggest where one might be found, please?

Would this research cover 'the other place', David?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am
Foureyes wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:11 pm I am carrying out some research of a 'then-and-now' nature and would be most grateful if anyone can supply me with the following information regarding C.H., please:

You're starting to sound like a member of the House of Lords in Westminster, Katharine !! :shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:02 pm
Katharine wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am

You're starting to sound like a member of the House of Lords in Westminster, Katharine !! :shock:
Remember I'm an Oxford graduate, there 'the other place' has a different meaning!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Katherine,
Of course.I only happen to be doing the boy's bit first and will turn to Hertford when that is complete.

All,
I now have the Horsham calendar for 1951-52. It is all pretty straightforward but while not part of my research there are a couple of activities which I cannot place:
1. 'Weighing'.This entry appears on the first Sunday of each term, half-way though the term and on two days in the penultimate week of term. Can anyone recall what this was about? Measuring weight, obviously, but how and why?
2. 'Divided Services'. This appears about once per term. What was this?

Also, I note that there was a half-holiday for 'Founders Day' on Monday 22 Oct, and that the following day is marked as 'Founders Day. What happened on that day and was teaching interrupted?

David
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

[rockfreak post_id=138738 time=1496260042 user_id=2156]
Of course there were no females. This was a Protestant school. All stern male disciples and martyrs. Virgins? Annunciations? Pietas? Gettaway!
David, oh David! Where did you go to school? Not CH Horsham by the sound of it! We had all those delicious young ladies(?) from the continent who worked in the kitchen, we had those nurses to cool our fevered brows (or whatever), Peele had the eponymous ladies from the Bridge and, if you played your cards right there was a young " ladies' " boarding school not far beyond Itchingfield.
Of course it did take a certain amount of nerve initially to arrange "scout camps" on bicycle trips for weekends every fortnight in summer, tents, equipment and food supplied! Stone Farm Rocks was the favourite destination

To use your own phrase, Gettaway.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Ahem. most readers will think that you are addressing me (David Miller) whereas you are actually addressing David Redshaw.
In any case, in my time the young ladies -who lived above the Wardrobe, as I recall - were from Southern Ireland. The name Eithne springs to mind.
David (NOT rockfreak).
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Foureyes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 pm Katherine,
Of course.I only happen to be doing the boy's bit first and will turn to Hertford when that is complete.

All,
I now have the Horsham calendar for 1951-52. It is all pretty straightforward but while not part of my research there are a couple of activities which I cannot place:
1. 'Weighing'.This entry appears on the first Sunday of each term, half-way though the term and on two days in the penultimate week of term. Can anyone recall what this was about? Measuring weight, obviously, but how and why?
2. 'Divided Services'. This appears about once per term. What was this?

Also, I note that there was a half-holiday for 'Founders Day' on Monday 22 Oct, and that the following day is marked as 'Founders Day. What happened on that day and was teaching interrupted?

David
As I remember weighing was done at the Infirmary and included height, weight, biceps, elbow and chest measurements.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg