newspaper article re Peter Webb's departure from CH

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

newspaper article re Peter Webb's departure from CH

Post by LHA »

Would be great if anyone could dig up a copy of this. I had heard it was in the Sun, others think the Express. The Express seems to have a pretty complete online archive but it doesn't seem to be traceable from that. I believe the headline was 'Goodbye Mr Chips'. If not, the date it appeared? Presume copies would have reached the school, inside Common Room and outside.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: newspaper article re Peter Webb's departure from CH

Post by wurzel »

We all got the standard newspaper deliveries (despite rumours to the contrary) so there was definitely a copy in LHB because otherwise i would not have read it and we were all warned to beware of reporters ringing to try and get extra details (in those days we had just had the understairs phone fitted rather than call boxes behind Pe, LH & Wardrobe)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

At the risk of rousing Avon from his slumbers I might mention that the proverbial Nick Duffell says in his books that when the press started to pick up on his discovery of Boarding School Survivor Syndrome they led with headlines like "Mr Squeers laid to rest" and "New bugs get squashed".
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Have looked into this. Some newspapers have an online searchable database. The Sun does not but you can order back copies from www.historic-newspapers.co.uk for the "bargain" price of £34.99 - although you would probably need to know the exact date of publication. Otherwise you could try emailing them to see if they could search for the article first info@historic-newspapers.co.uk
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

This press article happened during my tenure as Senior Grecian in 1984. I think more Lent Term 1984.
The headline was indeed "Goodbye Mr Chips" and I am pretty sure it was the SUN newspaper.
I recall Baker desperately pressing me to find out who had leaked the story but not really my cup of tea that.

As a 3rd Former (1978/1979), we all had mandatory Manual School which broke down into Metalwork with Keith Stratton, Woodwork with Webb and Architectural drawing or Design with Perry.

Webb taught us how to make a bedside lamp and for years after I still used mine before one move too many finally took its toll on the piece.
I recall that Webb was always singing and whistling in class...

Oh my how things have all become dark and ugly since...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

CHAZ wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am This press article happened during my tenure as Senior Grecian in 1984. I think more Lent Term 1984.
The headline was indeed "Goodbye Mr Chips" and I am pretty sure it was the SUN newspaper.
I recall Baker desperately pressing me to find out who had leaked the story but not really my cup of tea that.

As a 3rd Former (1978/1979), we all had mandatory Manual School which broke down into Metalwork with Keith Stratton, Woodwork with Webb and Architectural drawing or Design with Perry.

Webb taught us how to make a bedside lamp and for years after I still used mine before one move too many finally took its toll on the piece.
I recall that Webb was always singing and whistling in class...

Oh my how things have all become dark and ugly since...
I still have my bedside lamp!
And the coffee table which Perry helped me finish.
Perry stood in for Webb after he left, and I remember him being exasperated.
It seemed to me it wasnt because of the inconvenience, it was because of the man's conduct.
You had much more contact with Baker than many of us, particularly at this time.
Do you think Baker covered up for Webb or do you think he was taken in?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

CHAZ wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am
I can't remember who my teacher was but the lessons I learned there were enough to get my drawings approved by French building planning inspectors
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Marty: the British Library has all the newspapers.