Attitudes to sports

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Attitudes to sports

Post by J.R. »

Foureyes wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:14 pm Talking of sport, oldies among us will remember the athletics track, which was dug up some years ago and turned into a carpark. Now, under a revolutionary plan, the carpark is to be dug up and turned into - would you believe? - an athletics track. That's progress. No wonder the school has to keep advertising for funds.
David :shock:

Don't forget the new swimming pool. That'll be a few bob as well.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Foureyes wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:14 pm Talking of sport, oldies among us will remember the athletics track, which was dug up some years ago and turned into a carpark. Now, under a revolutionary plan, the carpark is to be dug up and turned into - would you believe? - an athletics track. That's progress. No wonder the school has to keep advertising for funds.
That’s not the plan I’ve seen - I understand that the athletics track would go on the field behind the sports centre... it’s been long overdue as athletics was hardly done at all in the 90s...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:38 am
rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:31 pm . It was only much later in life that I discovered rock climbing and snow and ice climbing, the activity that I was physically designed to do. That wasn't on the menu then. Do they have an indoor climbing wall these days?
We used to climb at Stone Farm Rocks every couple of weekends - difficult sandstone but not too much exposure. A couple of extreme overhangs. Tried Harrisons one weekend but a bit too far, crowded and nowhere to pitch a tent

Kent sandstone David. The blunt northern Don Whillans (one of Bonington's partners in the big ranges) judged them as "'ard, scruffy little climbs". There's better sandstone at St Bee's Head in Cumbria. Stone Farm, Harrisons and High Rocks have become dreadfully smooth and blackened over the course of the years. I seem to remember you saying you'd climbed in Langdale many years ago? Brilliant crags, lovely valley and as much exposure as you want. Have you done anything on Raven Crag or Gimmer?
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Erm, wrong car park!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"Erm, wrong car park!"
OK, so I was misinformed about the actual location of the proposed running-track. But that does not effect my point that the former athletics track was dug up only a few years ago and is now being replaced. Nor does it effect my point that if so much money is floating around, even if some of it is coming from an Old Blue, why does the school need to have such high fees and be constantly asking for money? Not to mention, of course, the payouts it may well have to pay to victims of sexual predators in times gone by!!
David :?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I remember compulsory netball, hockey, cross country, athletics, swimming, badminton, tennis and squash (the latter two with Karim) during the 90s. In fact I don’t remember a choice of sports at all, the choices were mostly for non-sporting actives such as drama or textiles.
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

I became a swimmer to avoid spending afternoons fielding at long-stop on Big Side! Fortunately Thornton B had a strong tradition in swimming beginning with Reynolds in the 1940s. I made the xvi for the rest of my time and never had to suffer the boring cricket.Also meant I could getaway earlier to go fishing! I still indulge but not in a duck-pond.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I think I may be repeating a story I have told on another thread but it is relevant here.

As the Hertford girls' school was run down sports was a major casualty and the attitude to sport of the girls who arrived in 1985 was appalling.

I remember umpiring a girls' house hockey match in the early days and signalling a goal at one end, only to see several girls at the other end sitting on the goal back board. Both defenders and attackers.

This had been transformed by 1990 by which point CH had become a serious girls hockey school. And Ajaz Karim was a key part of that transformation.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Golfer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm I think I may be repeating a story I have told on another thread but it is relevant here.

As the Hertford girls' school was run down sports was a major casualty and the attitude to sport of the girls who arrived in 1985 was appalling.

I remember umpiring a girls' house hockey match in the early days and signalling a goal at one end, only to see several girls at the other end sitting on the goal back board. Both defenders and attackers.

This had been transformed by 1990 by which point CH had become a serious girls hockey school. And Ajaz Karim was a key part of that transformation.
Sorry Tim, but I don't get your point.

Are you suggesting that Karin was the shining light of girls sport at CH as far as they were concerned after his appointment ?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

He helped transform girls' sport at CH. Yes.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Golfer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 pm He helped transform girls' sport at CH. Yes.
I don’t understand why you would post something so provocative. I’m sure he was an excellent hockey coach but unfortunately that becomes irrelevant once you are convicted of sexually assaulting those you were coaching. I’d have happily swapped Karim for a less talented coach who didn’t make me feel so uncomfortable as a young teenage girl.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:01 pm [ I’d have happily swapped Karim for a less talented coach who didn’t make me feel so uncomfortable as a young teenage girl.
And so would I.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

So why make the comment about Karim in the first place? Clearly he was a talented coach otherwise he wouldn’t have had the career that he did, there’s no need to compliment him on his good work on these forums. It’s like saying that Jimmy Saville was a great television presenter- possibly true but entirely unnecessary to mention it.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I object to the STALINIST tendencies of this site to stifle debate.

It was Karim's excellence as a sports coach that enabled him to abuse. Both girls and staff were on his side as a result.

Why should I be prevented from referring to that excellence in a threat about "attitudes to sport" since he transformed those attitudes anong the girls?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sorry but I'm losing the track of this thread.

If we need to discuss modern day Stalinism then maybe we should be discussing Comrade Corbyn and Co.