1968 and all that

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Re: 1968 and all that

Post by rockfreak »

In reply to John Hopgood's references to Warwick University, I'd be interested to know whether Warwick has a tradition of radicalism. In 1972 I was working for a music magazine publisher who produced a new monthly called "Let It Rock". Editorial meetings usually featured the presence of one Simon Frith who, I was told, had some connection with Warwick University. Frith used to sit there looking impassive and vaguely amused as rabid discussion took place about who should review the latest Rolling Stones album and how political the verdict should be. Frith looked a bit like a member of the MC5 but without the guitar chops. But he was radical all right. Then a few years later, I saw him on television with a haircut, a penguin suit, and standing up making a portentous speech at some music industry awards function, banging on about the dignity and prestige of the industry. Well of course it doesn't have any dignity. That is the point of it. When I was younger you could usually rely on Status Quo or some other bunch of liggers to turn up and start throwing food around. Looking up Frith now on Wiki I see that he has indeed made a career out of turning rock music into opportunities for endless earnest PhD essays. This is the trouble. All these sort of people have sold out.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: 1968 and all that

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm In reply to John Hopgood's references to Warwick University, I'd be interested to know whether Warwick has a tradition of radicalism. In 1972 I was working for a music magazine publisher who produced a new monthly called "Let It Rock". Editorial meetings usually featured the presence of one Simon Frith who, I was told, had some connection with Warwick University. Frith used to sit there looking impassive and vaguely amused as rabid discussion took place about who should review the latest Rolling Stones album and how political the verdict should be. Frith looked a bit like a member of the MC5 but without the guitar chops. But he was radical all right. Then a few years later, I saw him on television with a haircut, a penguin suit, and standing up making a portentous speech at some music industry awards function, banging on about the dignity and prestige of the industry. Well of course it doesn't have any dignity. That is the point of it. When I was younger you could usually rely on Status Quo or some other bunch of liggers to turn up and start throwing food around. Looking up Frith now on Wiki I see that he has indeed made a career out of turning rock music into opportunities for endless earnest PhD essays. This is the trouble. All these sort of people have sold out.
Anything to make a bob or two and promote themselves, eh Freaky ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.