Did the Christian Union kids end up as Satanists?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

:lol:

interesting about religious wars. basically just:
Country 'A' has the predominant belief that fairies live at the bottom of the garden.
Country 'B' has the predominant belief said fairies actually live under the shed.
'A' and 'B' smash the sh1t out of each other
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Interesting analogy, Hendrik.

Personally, I've always found MOST of the fairies living in Brighton. !

:shock: :oops:
malteaser
2nd Former

Post by malteaser »

they most certainly did!!
i woz a member of CU untill summer last year n all they acheived woz to make me convert to paganism!!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Careful, your age is showing ( It becomes really noticeable when you start "dad dancing" at weddings.)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

AKAP wrote:
Great Plum wrote:and lose all ability to spell? ;)
Careful, your age is showing ( It becomes really noticeable when you start "dad dancing" at weddings.)
It's what happens if you have an english teacher father...
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Katharine wrote:Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
There is now - it started on my senirs towards the end of the 90's....

Interestingly I'd go by what the school chaplain said - the CU at uni were appalling...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:
Katharine wrote:Did you have CU at Horsham? We were actually warned against joining one at uni by the school chaplain before we left.
There is now - it started on my senirs towards the end of the 90's....

Interestingly I'd go by what the school chaplain said - the CU at uni were appalling...
I went once, discovered it was next door to the bar in the delightfully named Vauxhall Dining Centre (think about it) got diverted and never went again.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

As I have no idea what a Christian Union actually does, could someone give us a quick explanation?

Is it a case of sitting around in someone's living room with tea and biscuits talking about what a nice bloke God is, or is there perhaps a bit more to it?

Was there one at C.H. in the '70s, or is it ( and I really don't intend to offend anyone here) an development of the growing 'happy-clappy' wing of Christianity?

For the record, I suppose I would count myself as an agnostic in that I don't really believe in the concept of a Supreme Being, although I 'm open to suggestions about what (if anything) was around before the Big Bang. My wife, on the other hand, leans towards what could be described as paganism, a belief system which is very attractive due to its non-judgmental, non-political nature.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jan and I are on the same wave-length as Richard, (post above), on this one.

I have been advised by 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', NOT to comment on the BIG BANG, however.

Regarding the 'Supreme Being', she informs me he is alive and well, and living in Dorking.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

Richard Ruck wrote:As I have no idea what a Christian Union actually does, could someone give us a quick explanation?

Is it a case of sitting around in someone's living room with tea and biscuits talking about what a nice bloke God is, or is there perhaps a bit more to it?

Was there one at C.H. in the '70s, or is it ( and I really don't intend to offend anyone here) an development of the growing 'happy-clappy' wing of Christianity?

For the record, I suppose I would count myself as an agnostic in that I don't really believe in the concept of a Supreme Being, although I 'm open to suggestions about what (if anything) was around before the Big Bang. My wife, on the other hand, leans towards what could be described as paganism, a belief system which is very attractive due to its non-judgmental, non-political nature.
Erm, well....

I 'm one of the current CU (known as bigfish) leaders in CH - having taken over from Mr R. Castro at the beginning of this academic year. We don't drink tea in the meetings, although we are lacking refreshment altogether!

All we aim to do is to tell people about what Jesus Christ did when he came down to Earth - which was to come as sacrifice for us, and to give us a personal relationship with God. There are different themes to meetings, but that's the gist really.

Perhaps CH tends to eliminate people's ideas about things...?
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

darthmaul wrote: Perhaps CH tends to eliminate people's ideas about things...?
Quite the opposite, I would say.

Thanks for the info, anyway. Sorry to hear about your lack of refreshments........

Is everyone who attends these meetings a 'believer', or do people just pop along to find out what it's all about?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I'm suprised CU lack refreshments - most Christian societies have a lot of refreshment...
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

Now come on guys...aren't we being a little unfair here? CU (now known as Big Fish), has changed a lot over the last year and is now being run by a small group of seniors. What's wrong with wanting to share beliefs and help others who want it? It's not like people are forced into going!!
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.