Loyalty - to CH, or to your Uni/HE?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you feel more of a loyalty to.....

Christ's Hospital
88%
Your University/College
12%

Total votes: 17

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Loyalty - to CH, or to your Uni/HE?

Post by jtaylor »

A thought which was mentioned as part of the CH Club discussions was whether CH Pupils are beginning to feel more of a loyalty for their University/College, than for Christ's Hospital, once they've left?

Would be interested in your votes, and in your opinions on this?

Personally, I feel absolutely no committment for my Uni whatsoever! Went to Aston Uni, and although I got a good degree and a great bunch of friends, nothing compares for me to the 7 formative years at CH.

Your thoughts?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

well i feel some towards my uni but then again i have only been here since september and also theres 8000 students here so well i cant be known by name. as to CH i think everyone goes through patched where u feel lots and then very little...suppose how busy u are...tho both have their benefits at this moment i am chosing CH
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Its a different type of Loyalty really, at Uni my loyalty lies in the area of wearing the uni hoddie and ensuring everyone thinks Southampton Uni is the greatest uni on earth (My Aunt though the Soton uni babygrow for my cousin may have been a little extreme, but the kid wears it)!!
However CH is a place I can always come back to and be welcomed, its where I grew up and became who I wanted to be, thats why even if old blues do drift in and immediatly after uni they will never forget CH.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Definately have more affinity with CH - although I enjoyed Exeter a lot it doesn't hold the same for me that CH does...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

I find this a rather large question. Its like "are you loyal to your country" which is a very old fashioned Idea, all very ncie and dandy, unless your country does bad thing.... (i will comment no further because this will turn into an essay)... Am I loyal to CH? Do I need to be? Am I ever required to choose sides in a war? I am not sure what this question intends to answer. I have a greater feeling for CH, deeper roots, as it were, but I am sure, in time, I will have others else where.
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Why's this important? I guess I'm asking because CH relies on the loyalty of ex-pupils to fund and support its future. Having received a subsidised education from a charity organisation, do the ex-pupils feel a loyalty to it to fulfill "The Charge" later in life?

If the answer to the above is NO, then we have a problem - CH will need to readjust it's funding model, finding new ways of fundraising/support, if that's indeed possible.

If the answer's YES, then we need to understand why that loyalty isn't reflected in the activity levels of recent Old Blues, and hence adjust the engagement mechanisms we use to keep Old Blues interested.

Thoughts?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Yes to both for different reasons.

In terms of parting with cash - my husband and I prefer to give to a neutral educational (Livery Company) fund that supports pupils at both his school and CH (so as to avoid marital dischord). As we both went to Southampton (we're not the sort to buy branded baby grows though!) we haven't yet felt the inclination to give cash there as our careers are still developing. And besides, the departments we were in are quite high profile and are doing well enough without our token amounts. If we were donating there, we may provide something more specific such as a hardship fund - engineering and law books are rather expensive.

As for fulfilling the charge - been there; done that. Got the rather fetching polo shirt. Spilt bleach down it. Turned it into dusters.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I wouldn't give money to Exeter university because of the disgraceful way they treated the music and chemistry students there recently - I would give money to CH if I had any - i think I would have to specify where it went though...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

ah now this is a different question.
I take the charge seriously. Even if I dont give back very much I am *definately* going to give back something at sometime. CH did so much for me. Its is something I will never ever forget. Univeristies get enough money from foriegn students...
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

he he the babygrow is a new thing in the student shop and I brought it for a laugh, but my aunt puts little Ellen in it so I guess she does want her to be a Soton graduate when she grows up!!
On the other hand, as far as cash is concerned CH pissed me off in my last years, but I still want to donate money, but I'd rather know that the money I give would be going to something that was important to me like the museum, cdt school or theatre. In the last few years it became a bit of a joke what money was being spent on, gravel paths in the top ten money wasting resources followed by it consultants and maybe car parks instead of running tracks. As far as I can see everyone at CH has a place they relate to and when they leave will want it to continue, if the school bears this in mind they would get the right funding.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice »

I didn't go to University - gasp shock horror!! Mainly because I didn't want to end up with a huge debt to the Government when trying to set myself up for the rest of my life, and also the career i wanted to take started with a further education college course at the fraction of the cost of Uni. My loyalties however would lie with CH regardless of the above, because not only did they educate me, but they also helped me grow up and become who I am today, which I think is very important.

I would like to when I can afford it, to donate money to the school or help to sponser a child, but at the moment I think that I'm doing enough (as lack of cash!!) by emotionally supporting a close friends daughter who has just been accepted into CH, as I have already experienced what she is about to go through.
Stoice
Ba B 92-99
Cleopatra
2nd Former

Post by Cleopatra »

I feel loyalty towards myself, my life, my loved ones, my faith, my principles and ethics...

I don't feel "loyalty" towards any institution, and fail to see why anyone would.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

How about the loyalty to give back the benefits you received??
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Cleopatra
2nd Former

Post by Cleopatra »

jtaylor wrote:How about the loyalty to give back the benefits you received??
I received many benefits from CH, I wouldn't deny that.

But if we're going to be even-handed about this, then CH would also need to recognise the large amount of pain and sufferring that it allowed to be caused to not just me, but a great many individuals.

I know that I'm not the only one from my year, and others, that has had to do a lot of psychological healing since leaving.

Like I say though, a great many benefits as well. The end result of this for me is a fairly neutral stance towards the school.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Fair point. I guess that we as Old Blues should be extremely concerned Edit - by which I mean care a lot) about the activities of the school, as that's what we're supporting if we financially (or otherwise) contribute - otherwise we're perpetuating something which could be damaging, or at least not wholely good, for the future......not a good thing.

J
Last edited by jtaylor on Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992