Moving houses at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

So with all the moving of houses that everyone seems to be doing at CH these days, what's happened to the "house loyalty" etc. when it comes to sport?
Having been part of the Leigh Hunt team to win the Rugby A Cup Ties (with a drop goal in the last minut of extra time!) in the very last year of Leigh Hunt as a boys house, and hence to never have lost it back to anyone, I know how the rivalry went, and how much house loyalty there was.

Has that disappeared now? Or have the government banned it, as nobody is allowed to lose these days!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
hannah
2nd Former

Post by hannah »

grecians houses are messed up,idea was to have houses together in pods, but that hasn't even happened this year due to numbers, so some houses are completely slpit up within grecians. occasionally get asked to go back to house for dorm duties, but thats been twice this term so far. Would have worked with a bit of communication between grecians and previous houses, but where's the time to keep going back, especially when they mix up east and west sides of the av neway. know the Flemmings chuck grecians out to play sport at least.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i never felt a whole lot of loyalty cos i was only around for two years. and hated sport.

i loved grecians houses. they were working well when i was there, it seems to have gone skew if now.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

That's a shame the camaraderie has gone - used to be a highlight of the house feel, the friendly but tough rivalry between houses.

Leigh Hunt, Maine, Peele all majorly into sport. Thornton - never did work out what they were into, and Lamb were the arty bunch, music, scouts etc. etc.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

is scouts really 'arty'?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Slip of the pen - most scouts tended to be in Lamb - wasn't meant to be linked.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
harsha
2nd Former

Post by harsha »

I spent 3 in MaB, 1 in MidB, 2 in MaB (yes again),1 in GreEast.
House masters: Suttcliffe, Phillips, Reid, McCulloch, Walsh.

I'll tell you all now, the day MaA+B took on the school at Fives and won by a half a dozen points was a good day. hehe. I also remember being last in field events and then coming 2nd(just) because our runners were the best by a mile. I remember when jackson scored that beauty of a penatly in the top left. I remember when Andrew headbutted the cricket ball, and when my mate walked up on stage and accepted being head boy. I definately feel proud to be part of Maine B. I don't feel any affiliation with Mid or East.

Having said that my final year in East was the best by a mile. I found that as a dep I really didn't want to deal with the responsibilities of having to deal with 11 to 14 year olds. So when I moved over to East I relished the loosening of the chains. There were also complications with our year group and our house master at the time... I think senior houses and grecian houses are a great idea. The only problem with that system are the LE year. They're 14 and have the power of gods, so obviously the squits and 3rd form get a bad deal. I think either way someone looses out, either the top year of the school or the bottem.

Finally grecian's houses are great because they force you to live with the opposite gender...which in my case meant finding Sophie. Although we did get suspended (my only ever punishment), I don't care. We're still together.
Gr E 02-03
Ma B 00-02
Mid B 99-00
Ma B 96-99
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

harsh man, that brought a tear to my eye. am so glad you and sophie are still going strong.

i know what you mean about maine b. that will always be my house i suppose. i spent longer in that house than in any other (only 3 years though). i remember stuff like 'gripper', steeple chase (argh!), ice cream, house bull-dog on the grass out the back of house (no longer possible as it's been tarmaced for car-parking :evil: ).

happy days (well, mostly)
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

BB, u bad, not allowed to call them 'Squits' any more.
when that rule came in Miss Sims kinda went over the top,
it was like use that word and get DT for bullying. Crazy.

As for houses, I was always proud to be part of LHB, even if we didnt win everything, and I am glad that I stayed there for as long as we did. During my junoirs teh house rivalry was still really quite intense, and that was when we actually used to win! But as you go through the school you tend to care less. I am quite sad now that I will never see LHB as it was, all revamped and key coded blah. Never again will be able to smell TV rooms multi 'cultural' carpet *sigh*.
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

LOL Gripper! god that brought the memories flooding back!! "now look hear young man" was his favourite expression, used to wind me up no end!

Barnes B 1981-83?
Mid B 83-85
Mid A 85-86
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

sutcliffe left in july 98 to go and run a retirement home in the westcountry. after that it's anyone's guess.
he was an ok housemaster. lots of people knock him but he was alright.
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Post by srcudlipp »

Hendrik wrote:sutcliffe left in july 98 to go and run a retirement home in the westcountry. after that it's anyone's guess.
he was an ok housemaster. lots of people knock him but he was alright.
I liked him - very odd, but very fair - only thing wound me up was the way he used to spin his head around in circles when he was talking - oh, and his ability to run and run and run.......(especially when chasing smokers :( )
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

srcudlipp wrote: I liked him - very odd, but very fair - only thing wound me up was the way he used to spin his head around in circles when he was talking - oh, and his ability to run and run and run.......(especially when chasing smokers :( )
a problem i never had as a second and third form. few teachers bother baiting smokers anymore anyway. he used to run and run when taking us on steeplechase. ugh. and ugh again.

head rotations. had totally forgotten about that. his obsession with philosophy. his strange drone.
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Post by srcudlipp »

Hendrik wrote:
srcudlipp wrote: I liked him - very odd, but very fair - only thing wound me up was the way he used to spin his head around in circles when he was talking - oh, and his ability to run and run and run.......(especially when chasing smokers :( )
a problem i never had as a second and third form. few teachers bother baiting smokers anymore anyway. he used to run and run when taking us on steeplechase. ugh. and ugh again.

head rotations. had totally forgotten about that. his obsession with philosophy. his strange drone.
And his annoying humming!

Did he still have that weird medieval painting in his study - the one with all the villagers running round with strange u-shaped hard-ons? Difficult to keep a straight face when he was bollocking you, and you caught sight of that on the wall :roll:
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i remember some strange artefacts in his house generally but no, no feudal serfs with banana-boners.
maybe he conceded that it took the edge off of his philosophical rhetoric, and binned it.
the man's a legend. he deserves his own thread really.
happy days :)