being woken up in the morning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice »

We still had horsehair mattresses in Barnes B till my UF in '95 and then we went into studies with desks under the beds. That was some of the first modernisation wasn't it??

Bab 92-99
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Who know's Stacey, I had a comfortable bed at home! :p
Hobbit
3rd Former

Matresses/Wake Ups

Post by Hobbit »

Well i started in 96 and Lamb B lower dorm still had the horse hair matteresses and we did so unitl the end of my 3rd form when they got replaced by beds with cupboards underneath. As for the wake ups the best as i remember were Mr Howard, came in singing and telling the news, weather and exact time...also the memorable pengu impression. Mr Torkington, came in with a rugby flag and opened the curtains so he wouldnt have to enter a bed area.....

The most shocking i ever had was Sgt Major INgram coming in and tipping a bed over with ocupant still in it....scary
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Tim »

peele b memories :

(in 1992) Mr Phillips: "good morning, gentleman - we started bombing Iraq last night..."
I REMEMBER THIS!!! but it wasn't Mr Phillips, it was Mr Long who was replacing Mr Cunningham teaching Russian for Mr Cunningham's sabbatical. I clearly remember him saying:

"Morning gentlemen, last night we declared war on Iraq..."

Mr Long was a fantastic Russian teacher, but then so was Mr Cunningham. Spasibo Balshoe!

Also Mr Long's wife was the business...

Mr Flemming: "GET UP!!!!!" + random skiffing of beds.
Dr Maddren: "wakey wakey rise and shine, greet the brand new day!" I still say that, to my gf, especially when it's p1ssing down outside :)
Mr Gladding: "cough", "cough", "cough", *roll up a fag*, "cough"

I remember Mr Snook in Mid B one time walked in, sat down on the nearest bed and farted, got up, and walked out again! LOL!!
Tim Benjamin
PeB: 87-90 :)
PeA: 90-91 :(
MidB: 91-93 :D
http://www.timbenjamin.com
Clements Theory: http://www.clementstheory.com - E-learn music theory!
Study guides and thousands of practice questions for Associated Board Grade 5 Theory
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

CDT

Post by eloisec »

I'd forgotten all about Mr Snook! Didn't he teach CDT? Anyone remember Mr Grimshaw? He used to make me laugh with his funny ways. Think he went abroad somewhere after CH. CDT was great for a doss lesson, until I sanded some of my knuckles ouch.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: CDT

Post by Great Plum »

eloisec wrote:I'd forgotten all about Mr Snook! Didn't he teach CDT? Anyone remember Mr Grimshaw? He used to make me laugh with his funny ways. Think he went abroad somewhere after CH. CDT was great for a doss lesson, until I sanded some of my knuckles ouch.
Mr Snook was a legend in Scout circles - for a number of years after he left CH he used to come on the Norfolk Broads and captain a yacht....

Many famous incidents ensued - he once rammed Tempest into another boat deliberately because they were 'going too slow' and on my 3rd from I remember being on Shippen's cruiser on my 3rd from cruising up to Coltishall - he was lying on the front deck having a snooze when Snook came past under full sail and motor viciously rocking our boat in his swell.

Shippen then stood up and peeved in his loudest voice 'F@*K OFF SNOOK!!"
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

but then so was Mr Cunningham. Spasibo Balshoe!

Also Mr Long's wife was the business...
you remember mr cunningham? hows this for 'small world': mr cunninghams son, phillip, has now been with my auntie for a few years now! surreal. owing to this, i went and had tea with mr cunningham snr and his wife in horsham (where he still lives i believe). shall i try and get him on the board? well, both of them if possible.

mr long's wife? - steady. "so here's to you, mrs robinson...."

broads: i can't believe they're STILL using those bl**dy yachts. to quote from miss hargreave's epic poem: "spindrift was a bathtub, it was very big and blue..." well, that pretty much WAS the peom.

shippens cruiser was a laugh, but usually only when he threw a mega-peeve at andrew mansargh/guy wilkes/ miss helyar/ dobbs/gimber.
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Tim »

you remember mr cunningham?
Mr Cunningham was outstanding!

If you see him again soon, please pass on my best regards... and tell him that I'm still keeping the Russian up. If he would like to correspond to give me some practice I would be very up for that!
mr long's wife? - steady. "so here's to you, mrs robinson...."
Maybe you never saw her... :shock::shock::shock: - was the general reaction when she walked up to their flat past our dorm in Peele B!

Cheers
Tim
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Beds? Horsehair - I suppose so but it felt like coarse wire wool. the mattresses were supposed to lie on wooden boards of which there was a shortage - and even greater shortage if one got broken - or, more commonly half-hitched. Therefore one couldn't afford to get too overweight!

wake up - 6.55 bell every morning, Trades in the hall by 5 past and AFAIR houses marched in at 7.20 am - every day of the week.

If you didn't get up when the bell sounded it was simply tipped over - if you were lucky.

sejintenej
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

On my LE, my first Matron tried getting us up by throwing her dog on our beds... that stopped shortly after two of the girls on my year (who shall remain nameless) fed her dog bran...

Matron then resorted to wrenching off duvets. Obviously that all called for us to put things in our bed to look like we were still in them, scuttle off down to the lav ends and watch her disgust as she tried to wake us up - and none of us were there... such japes. She stopped doing early morning dorm duties after that.
Fenix4500
2nd Former

Waking

Post by Fenix4500 »

Cheers Hendrik, i had forgotten that classic "Wakey wakey, hands off snakey", he did also once use "Put on your socks, hands off your ****s, but he only did it once :) There was also classic Master Vitt, who refused to tick you off at breakfast unless you called your number in German. Oh, and Matron Breakwells "Matt, get up, mr dobby says you're not at his lesson....have you had breakfast? (Stupid question really.. :roll: ) Oh, ok, go heres some eggs and bacon, go and make yourself some breakfast and ill tell anyone who calls that your ill....." She only did it once but she had my respect ever since.
jfdawson
2nd Former

Post by jfdawson »

sejintenej wrote:the mattresses were supposed to lie on wooden boards of which there was a shortage - and even greater shortage if one got broken - or, more commonly half-hitched. Therefore one couldn't afford to get too overweight!
sejintenej
Ah yes, I remember practising the "skill" of trying to sleep when you only had three or four boards. Very uncomfortable! Of course, these also led to one of the most ubiquitous pranks... "setting" someone's boards. Basically, they would be balanced so that as soon as someone put any weight on them (i.e. got into bed), they would clatter to the floor (quite noisy on those old wooden floors!).

Particularly amusing if you knew someone was going to be late to bed - the whole dorm would wait in silence, pretending to sleep, while the person got undressed as quietly as they could, before they got into bed and - CLUNK! It often led to the mattress following the boards to the floor, which just made it even funnier! (Even if you were on the receiving end, as I was once or twice...)
Jeremy Dawson
Lamb B/A 1987-94
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I was always a morning person anyway, a fact which was accepted when in BaA however, the good staff of Grecians West really didn't get this. I always rememberthe disappointed looks on Mrs Flemings face when she came charging into my room at 7:30 only to be always greeted by me fully clothed (shen managed to make up for this post A level, when even though she knew mine were over she came storming in and woke me up!! )
The classic wake up calls came from Miss Larive though, you'd be in your room and hear the clunking on feet on the stairs, thehall door would crash open,and she'd shout as loud as she could (all with her French accent) 'Good morning, it is a lovely day time to get up!' this was then followed by the hall door being thrown open again and the clunking sounds of shoes going back down to the floor below where you could hear the whole thing happening again!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Fenix4500
2nd Former

post b day wake up

Post by Fenix4500 »

I had similar situations Jenny, b day, got really REALLY drunk and ended up getting bundled and all my stuff emptyed all over me (it was half term as i recall) got to sleep around 6ish, but at 7, in rushes laura and annouces in a bright and cheery voice that we're going to do cross and candles. :shock:
"Sorry guys, Im just SO horney, i haven't had sex since Sunday..........but Katie.....ITS MONDAY!"
I have solutions for world hunger, was doing world peace but now i'm working on how England will win the World Cup.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

In my time it was Hammer Alexander with his f*cking bell. Romping up and down the dorms with the bell was never a great way to be woken.

Anyone got any idea what happend to Hammer?