Lent - does anyone give anything up anymore?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I'm giving up giving things up...

Why DO people give things up for Lent when they're not religious? Do you go to church at Christmas? If you can't stand an hour of bad carol singing in December why put yourself through forty days of enforced abstinence in March? It's a mad world...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:I've given up pints of beer and chocolate, in a healthly eating way. So tasting other's beer is ok, as is the occasional biscuit (usually a biscuit is breakfast). Trying to cut down on bread too.

Bread's the hardest thing not to eat. CH taught me how to live off toast and I've never looked back (stomach too big to turn round :lol: ).
Half pints are fine then? And, is the chocolate melted before it goes in with the beer, or does it just float in the top?
Thornton 85-92
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

marty wrote:Why DO people give things up for Lent when they're not religious? Do you go to church at Christmas? If you can't stand an hour of bad carol singing in December why put yourself through forty days of enforced abstinence in March? It's a mad world...
The same bizarre logic that means people who never go to church insist on getting married there and having their children christened, promising to adhere to a system of beliefs that they don't understand and that means b*gger all to them. Nice background for the photos though.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I think I should get major kudos this year as am goving up alcohol and pizza deliveries!!! Doesn't sound like much? I'm a student if that puts it into perspective!!!
:drinkers:
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

A friend of mine at uni used to give up fast food, alcohol and chocolate. I think it did her more harm than good!
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

My housemates came in to find me rocking back and forth on the sofa muttering 'Dominos'. I think they'd agree with you!!

:partyman:
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Making your own pizza is much more fulfilling!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99