Corporal Punishment......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Greets Inn? Expensive tastes! Excellent food though.
Lynd Cross - chav pub
Crown - no thanks; don't really want to end up in a brawl
Hoars Bed - s'ok.
Bax - used to be better IMO

In fact, after extensive research, there are very few (if any) decent, pubs with honest grub and good beer at a sensible price in the Horsham area at all. So I moved.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Richard Ruck wrote: Favourite pubs when I was still at C.H. -

The Bax (obviously....)

The Hen & Chicken at Southwater - haven't been there for years.

The Bear, Horsham (still a good little pub).

The Queen's Head, Barns Green

However, as mentioned elsewhere, being in uniform most of the time meant that off-licences were a lot less risky.

If you like good beer, the Malt Shovel in Horsham is excellent (and is still a proper pub, not a converted bank/furniture shop/public khazi etc.).
Malt Shovel? Nice? Well - the beer was OK when I was last there. Didn't think much of the clientele and I know of a couple of people who've had a broken nose following drinking there.
The Bear - agreed. My sister was late for her wedding because she was in there!
Hen & Chicken - we walked in and walked straight out..... <League of Gentlemen Voice> It's a local pub, for local people

I guess none of this matters though when you're a teenager.

The only pub we tend to go to now in Hsm is the Black Jug - a bit ponsey - but no alcopops, nice food, decent guinness et c

Can someone please remind those going into town in their civvies buying fags and booze - that yellow socks poking out under their jeans are a bit of a giveaway.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Deb GP wrote:Greets Inn? Expensive tastes! Excellent food though.
Lynd Cross - chav pub
Crown - no thanks; don't really want to end up in a brawl
Hoars Bed - s'ok.
Bax - used to be better IMO

In fact, after extensive research, there are very few (if any) decent, pubs with honest grub and good beer at a sensible price in the Horsham area at all. So I moved.
Don't know about broken noses at the Malt Shovel - I've been using it for around 6 or 7 years now. Never seen even the tiniest hint of trouble. It's now the only Horsham pub in the Good Beer Guide.

The Crown - don't forget the murder last year!

The Bax could probably do with a new landlord - he has been known to be a bit unwelcoming.

Agree about the Black Jug - over 21s and no fluorescent turquoise drinks.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Maybe my Malt Shovel is residual memories of the Mitchell....

Ah well..... The only time I spend in Hsm is when I visit my olds - so I don't really get the opportunity to visit the pubs now.

As for getting back on topic - err... I think Corporal Punishment was made finally illegal a year or two before I came to CH - although there were still rumours of the slipper amongst the Junior Boys.

Drills (of the running variety) were still allowed - why were these stopped? OK - so they were pointless and didn't achieve much - but they would have been a better deterrent for me than litter picking!

Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

ok the dog and duck is a good pub....also well crowna int that bad, just dont go in too late on a saturday, and no i aint a sacally but still i will dirnkthere

also am sure there was something that my mum signed saying i was lalowed to be punisghed using corpral punishment...didnt it ewnd in boarding schoiols in 1999????
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

From Politics.co.uk

"Although the various methods of corporal punishment were steadily outlawed throughout the 20th Century - the use of the birch in schools was famously abolished in 1948 - it was not until after the 1967 Plowden report, 'Children and their Primary Schools', that the abolition of corporal punishment in state schools was treated as a major issue, and in 1986 it was outlawed altogether.

"It was not until 1998 that corporal punishment was outlawed for the few remaining independent schools that retained the practice."

I guess the 98 thing was in line with the Child Act.

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

ranking pubs in horsham is a bit academic as they're all pretty w@nk. you really get a lot more racism, homophobia and general small-mindedness in sussex pubs (not that most pubs are havens for free-thinkers!)
but anyway:
the malt shovel - don't know it so well but is the most regarded for quality drinking. they even sell Brains, the best bitter in the world! :D
the lynd - CHAV pub, yeah. but all pubs in the area (well nearly all) are CHAV pubs or 'local pubs' (for local ppl)
the crown - now THAT is a chav pub.
bax - ok. just that.
cock inn southwater (no jokes pls) - ok on the inside. charged me 2 quid for a coke though so it's awful imho
piries - tiny but ok. landlord camp as a row of pink tents, funny friendly guy.

older blues: how much homosexuality was there when CH was still all boys? not takin the pIss, genuinely interested. not just chaplains but boys too
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:ranking pubs in horsham is a bit academic as they're all pretty w@nk. you really get a lot more racism, homophobia and general small-mindedness in sussex pubs (not that most pubs are havens for free-thinkers!)
but anyway:
the malt shovel - don't know it so well but is the most regarded for quality drinking. they even sell Brains, the best bitter in the world! :D
the lynd - CHAV pub, yeah. but all pubs in the area (well nearly all) are CHAV pubs or 'local pubs' (for local ppl)
the crown - now THAT is a chav pub.
bax - ok. just that.
cock inn southwater (no jokes pls) - ok on the inside. charged me 2 quid for a coke though so it's awful imho
piries - tiny but ok. landlord camp as a row of pink tents, funny friendly guy.
Pubs in Horsham aren't too bad... always liked the Dragon when it's not a Saturday night...

The MaltShovel is fine enough too -

Always got a soft spot for the Bax - visiting my parents means I can walk the dogs down the old railway line...

The couple that run the place are a little eccentric but the beer's good, the food's fine and my parents win the quiz - what else do you need!

Otherwise, best pub around is probably the Dragon at Dragon's Green - not many other pubs have a grave in their beer garden!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Dragon's Green - yup.
Countryman at Shipley was OK last time I went. Wasn't that wowed though.
Dragon in town - I was told not to go there because it was a Wacky Baccie pub..... (when your Dad was in Customs, these things were important).
Lynd - my brother goes there - it's gotta be bad!
Bar Vin was OK ish in a better than some of the others type way (used to be a temperance pub/hotel of all things!)
Just never, ever be tempted to try the Fountain. Woeful.

I echo Hendrick's question. It never occured to me until today that such a thing could possibly have happened at CH (how nieve). I was surprised re the response about being caught with a girl c.f. with a boy.

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Hendrik wrote:older blues: how much homosexuality was there when CH was still all boys? not takin the pIss, genuinely interested. not just chaplains but boys too
I think there were a few very odd boys who had gone down a parallel existence, there were also a few sexual bullies, and there were the poetic types who were not actually gay but either posed as one or just fell in platonic love with someone of the same sex and perhaps went off to read poetry together - this was extremely risky at Peele B because the housemaster was obsessed with catching boys doing this sort of thing - I know someone who is now happily living with a fabulous lady and plump and squealing baby who was interviewed by said master after a poetry reading walk, (hand in hand on big side) for HOURS and the question repeated was "Do you LOVE ------- ------?" I think he even asked if they had kissed! So hopeful was he to hear the details!

It was tempting to pretend to be like this to taunt the master

I do think homosexuality at CH was extremely rare as far as acts go but friendships could sometimes get quite passionate in an emotional way
dogger
2nd Former

Post by dogger »

huntertitus wrote:but friendships could sometimes get quite passionate in an emotional way
not talking about homosexuality as such....... but I think that`s still true - by the very nature of the people and the place . After all , children are at CH for all sorts of reasons and if close relationships are formed this can only be good in many ways. Adolescents are by nature emotional and often need someone in their confidence - be it peer or adult, a friend they can trust. Most of the adults in the school are extremely caring - as you would expect them to be -" in loco parentis" - and some pupils also have quite an emotional attachment to them and probably vice versa - how can you not become attached to someone who trusts you enough to confide in you? I`m surprised there aren`t more staff/pupil "relationships" actually, given the intensity of the place. It shows that the staff are truly professional though.
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

Hendrik wrote:
older blues: how much homosexuality was there when CH was still all boys? not takin the pIss, genuinely interested. not just chaplains but boys too
It's a difficult quesion to answer because it wasn't something that possible partners trumpeted to the world. You have to remember that the school was more like a prison in those days (early 50s), no girls (apart from house maids who were late teens/early 20s) and staff daughters - not many) and freedom to roam outside was limited, plus no half term and only 2 parental visits allowed per term.

Obviously there were lots of rumours (850-odd hormonal teenagers cooped up together) but very little firm evidence. I recall only one major scandal in LaA when one guy was booted out, mind you he was pretty promiscuous. Interestingly, he was allowed back after about a year and went into MidA or B ( a very rare case of house changing). There may have been people from other houses but I don't recall any.

One housemaster got the instant sack - who reportedly (allegedly) visited the junior dorm one night after coming back pissed. There was also a chap (allegedly) who apparantly had a tendency to slip his hand inside one's shirt - easy with no buttons - but I'm not aware if it went any further. Most of the staff were unmarried so the chances of a high gay count was good.

Amonst the boys, I think most physical activity was between age peers with no romantic attachment - a quick mutual w**k in the woods or, a favourite place, the new bogs (less visited than the main bogs).

On a lighter note, one Speech Day (1953 or 54) the head, HLO Flecker, in his report said "This year we have accomodated 852 boys in 840 beds". Sounds of suppressed giggles from the assembled throng. :shock:
A healthy mind is a sign of a mis-spent youth
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

It's good to see that the OB product can still debate God, booz and sexuality in essentially the same breath. I just read that less than 40% of beer sold in the UK is done through pubs. I do hope they are not dying, that would be a real tragedy.

It is pubs that made England what it is.

The previous poster on the subject of single males in the priesthood is correct - Protestants have never adhered to that fallacious concept. We had three ordained ministers in my time and only one was married.
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Great shame when King and Barnes stopped, Horsham pubs will never be quite the same. Nor the town now that the brewery has been replaced by awful postmodern flats. There is a great beer shop though - Beer Essentials, run by an ex-King and Barnes man. Useful info for all you current Blues?!!!
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

eloisec wrote:Great shame when King and Barnes stopped, Horsham pubs will never be quite the same. Nor the town now that the brewery has been replaced by awful postmodern flats. There is a great beer shop though - Beer Essentials, run by an ex-King and Barnes man. Useful info for all you current Blues?!!!
King and Barnes brewed decent beer...

I am pleased to say that Mr King ( a relative of the original) has his own micro brewery by his pub - The Lamb at Lambs Green...

And the chap that runs the Beer essentials - is that the one in the station yeard? I think they brew Red River Ale - v. good!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99