First time visitor

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

All I can add is: Let's see what we can all do to help/make it catch on!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Bagnaj97 wrote:Why does everyone think I have a BNP ideology:?: Just to clarify the matter, I DON'T HAVE A BNP IDEOLOGY!!!
my most sincere apologies to you then. but at school you, matt and that briley guy were renound for being neo-nazis. i'm glad that's not the case :)
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
jenni
2nd Former

Post by jenni »

this is a great way for those of you who have left to keep in touch with those of us who havent yet had the priviledge..... :wink:
snashy
2nd Former

Post by snashy »

indeed, and if the word is passed on via e mail as i recieved from my darling sister, i feel numbers will grow fast. 8)
Col A 1996-2002 GrW 2002-03
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

snashy wrote:indeed, and if the word is passed on via e mail as i recieved from my darling sister, i feel numbers will grow fast. 8)
yay! that's coz i sent one to hannah who sent one to jenni! see, chain mails work. :)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Keep the chain going - the more the merrier! Over 55 registered users now - we're growing!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
harsha
2nd Former

Post by harsha »

Hi there people, *waves*. Hendrik dude, looks to me like you're not spending enough time with those sheep and posting way too much. :P Seriously though, this seems like a pretty good idea. A few things to think about though, I find that in every forum I go to there are always new people who aren't sure how to get pictures as part of their message. You should have a mini tutorial somewhere. I'm guessing that the creator of the forum isn't hosting any pictures for free, so simply
- register at http://www.photobucket.com
- click browse and find your picture on your harddrive
- click upload
- copy the link underneath the photo the link should look like [img.]http://www.photobucket.com/name/blah.jpg[/img.]
- paste that into your message, and the image will appear.
If you want an image for your signature or avatar, then you simply copy the link without the [.img] tags. Pretty sure that's how you do it.
Maybe you could also have a new fader/flash, for up and coming events at CH. Or it could just be filled with random funny comments.
Also at some point someone will illegally spam this forum, and they can be pretty difficult to get rid of. They can have a proxy and write a script to attack your site. So when you have enough users go to your admin control section and force only registered users to be able to see the main threads. That way the spammer can fire away at a duff thread. Sorry the overload of information, but it happened to my forum in the summer.

pz

oh yes, and i'm still doing comp sci 8-)
jenni
2nd Former

Post by jenni »

[quote="snashy"]indeed, and if the word is passed on via e mail as i recieved from my darling sister, i feel numbers will grow fast. 8)[/quote]

Thank you my dear it is nice to know you are alive! :D
If everyone passes on this link then we can build it up and get loads of people involved....
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

squish...

Post by Hendrik »

harsha dude, don't mention the sheep. hannah will get jealous...
glad everythings going well with comp sci. :D

I'm sure that advice about spamming etc will be greatfully received, have you PM'd Julian to the same extent :?:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Message received, and PM'd in response.

I've got flood control switched on, and once we've got a good membership then I'll make it a private forum, with a welcome topic visible only.
Until then, I'm keen to keep it self-authenticated and visible whilst un-registered, so that we get people quickly able to get involved easily, without waiting for registration etc. etc.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
hannah
2nd Former

Post by hannah »

(to julian)-how on earth do you have time to do this? I swear you're always logged on. anyway, thanks, is really appreciated by everyone I'm sure. :D
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

The real answer is "I don't" - I'm checking it as often as I can, and I've got wireless at home, so can keep checking occassionally!
Needs the effort while it's young (and while I'm still emailing one year of Friends Reunited each night!)....and it's beginning to show rewards for the effort with the increased membership (84 at the moment) and the number of topics/replies...

Thanks for the positive comments - glad the effort's appreciated.

Keep pulling people in, and keep contributing!

Cheers,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
GW2000
2nd Former

Great Site

Post by GW2000 »

Julian

Great site. Well done. Just shows what can be done.

Guy Wilkes
Lamb 1985-1992
timdogman
2nd Former

Post by timdogman »

Guy - were you a monitor in Lamb B along with Taffy and Olie?
Tim
LE (Little Erasmus)

Hello there

Post by Tim »

Hello all... I got Simon's message in Friends Reunited and here I am!

Tim

(Tim Benjamin, Pe B, Pe A, then Mid B, left 1993)