Mr.Grimshaw.......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:Funnily enopugh that was how it struck me too.

We are showing our age JR. (and I didn't even LIKE Norman Wisdom)
....even though he speaks very highly of you, Mary ???????????
I didn't dislike him personally, when he was on Parkinson or anything like that I thought he was fantastic, it was all that falling about, silly little man stuff.

I don't like 'unfair', 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Hancock' were two others I didn't like.

I like my comedy to be upbeat.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:
J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:Funnily enopugh that was how it struck me too.

We are showing our age JR. (and I didn't even LIKE Norman Wisdom)
....even though he speaks very highly of you, Mary ???????????
I didn't dislike him personally, when he was on Parkinson or anything like that I thought he was fantastic, it was all that falling about, silly little man stuff.

I don't like 'unfair', 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Hancock' were two others I didn't like.

I met Norman Wisdom when I was a lad (pre CH days!) as we found ourselves renting the beach hut next to his on holiday in Bournemouth. He was a really nice bloke as I remember him playing beach cricket and the like with us and his own children.

His son, Nick, (if I remember his name correctly after all this time) was a very useful spin bowler, good enough to play 2nd X1 cricket for Sussex.

I have to say I loved (still do) Norman Wisdom's comedy also Hancock and Fawlty Towers!

What comedy do you like then EA?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Re-reading this thread, two things came to mind:

1. The name of KHG's dog was "Cuckoo". The dog would be sent into the smokers' dens with a cry of "Fetch, Cuckoo!"

2. My mum (not an OB) was at school with Norman Wisdom's daughter... Small world.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

FrogBoxed wrote:Re-reading this thread, two things came to mind:

1. The name of KHG's dog was "Cuckoo". The dog would be sent into the smokers' dens with a cry of "Fetch, Cuckoo!"

2. My mum (not an OB) was at school with Norman Wisdom's daughter... Small world.
He never was very tall !! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

J.R. wrote:
FrogBoxed wrote:My mum (not an OB) was at school with Norman Wisdom's daughter... Small world.
He never was very tall !! :oops:
*groan*!!
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
DC
2nd Former

Post by DC »

I never quite knew how to deal with Grimshaw as he could be a bit unpredictable. If he got the hump with you, you always knew about it.

He used to run the RAF CCF and he came with our sorry little ragamuffin outfit to RAF Wittering in 1987 (I think) for the summer camp. Now as we all know, smoking wasn't permitted at CH but on the first day at the camp it was announced that anyone over 16 was allowed to smoke. Of course at this news we visibly rejoiced and Grimmit had a face like a smacked bum. That said, we knew it was more than our lives were worth than to rub his face in it by smoking where he could see us so we still used to sneak around behind the back of the houses having crafty cigs out of sight.

Sadly, such deference counted for nothing with the man and when he found an old fag butt under the gas fire in the living room during a house inspection (that obviously had been there for years), he still had us out on the parade ground burning shoe leather for an hour just to remind us he was still the daddy.

Overall, my recollections of the bloke were that he was 'a bit straight' but decent. In my senior years, I used to nip down to Maine B on my bike to get the key for the Manual School when I was working on the 'The Blue' layouts on an evening. I can still hear his voice now but I have trouble placing his accent. Was he from Lancashire?

DC
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I don't like 'unfair', 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Hancock' were two others I didn't like.

What comedy do you like then EA?
Ronnie Barker (funnily enough I liked Open All Hours although that was 'unfair' on poor Granville), 'Allo 'Allo, Peter Kay, The Fast Show.
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Norman Wisdom

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Norman Wisdom's biographer (Norman Wisdom, A Career in Comedy, T C Farries & Co, 1991) is an Old Blue, Richard Dacre (BaA, MdA 1961-67).
Last edited by Doctor Smellcroft on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

FrogBoxed wrote:Didn't he have a dog he used to send into the Cut and other such smokey dens?
His dog was called Rambo... Little sh1t ...
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

DC wrote: I can still hear his voice now but I have trouble placing his accent. Was he from Lancashire?

DC
He was from Liverpool.

I wonder if the dog you are all talking about is the same Jack Russell pup that always tried to bite my ankles when I used to visit him and his wife in their flat, circa 1974. I think it had a bit of a fettish for yellow stockings (that's the dog not Ken) !!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If it is it would have been very old.
DC
2nd Former

Post by DC »

No Rambo was kicking about during the 80's. From what I remember, he was a little black muscle on 4 short legs. Not the sort of dog you would go up to and pet, unlike say, Tigger ( a good-natured overweight mongrel owned by Peter 'Pinky' Wright), that didn't look as though he would hurt a fly.
MB1981
2nd Former

Post by MB1981 »

Mr.Grimshaw unsuccessfully tried to teach me woodwork in the 2nd form, he failed due to my complete lack of any talent.

He also along with the infamous Cuckoo caught me smoking behind the manual school. :(

His other talent I remember was as a football ref.
Crippen
3rd Former

Post by Crippen »

Mr. Grimshaw lost his bike, which had apparently been thrown into Doctor's Lake by one of his many disgruntled pupils, where, I dare say, it still a-rusts undisturbed...
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Ash wrote:His dog was called Rambo... Little sh1t ...
probably the most accurate post I've read today....