If you were a member of staff, which house would you live in

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

If you were a member of staff, which house would you live in

Post by Great Plum »

I've lived in 3 of the staff houses, Maine B attached, Peele A attached and 4 West Gun Copse...

The houses I've always wanted to live in are:

1. My favourite - Stammerham - the section were DNP lived, now lived in by Mr Potter - the place is huge and rambling with 2 staircases and a fireplace you can walk into...

2. Mr Sillet's old house, now lived in by the Maddren's - I can't for the life of me remember it but it is superb...

3. Finally, East Lodge - FRP lives there presently - great house with an upstair's living room!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Without a doubt - Stammerham. Definitely. And I'd knock the two halves back together again into one. Beautiful garden in DNP's time too. I loved the sitting rooms in both the North & South. The beams, the fire place...

sigh... Can't afford such a house at the moment.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:Without a doubt - Stammerham. Definitely. And I'd knock the two halves back together again into one. Beautiful garden in DNP's time too. I loved the sitting rooms in both the North & South. The beams, the fire place...

sigh... Can't afford such a house at the moment.
I can't afford ANYhouse at the moment! ;)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

which one's stammerham? sounds nice.

my short list would be:
the one in bird sanc.
head masters house - a bit central, but incredulous garden and tennis courts etc.
franks house, yeah it's awesome.
dr wines' house by peele seems nice. train line tho.
sillett's old house. i'd deserve it too. the amount of gardening i did for next to no money.
that now derelict one that used to be the station house. it's actually quite nice and has lot's of potential (ahemm.....allegedly :wink: )
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:which one's stammerham? sounds nice.

my short list would be:
the one in bird sanc.
head masters house - a bit central, but incredulous garden and tennis courts etc.
franks house, yeah it's awesome.
dr wines' house by peele seems nice. train line tho.
sillett's old house. i'd deserve it too. the amount of gardening i did for next to no money.
that now derelict one that used to be the station house. it's actually quite nice and has lot's of potential (ahemm.....allegedly :wink: )
The bird sanc one - Junction Cottage is great - very well designed inside - it was converted from 3 smaller cottages - however, it was converted by muppets (why does the school pay for cowboys) and there has been a lot of probs with damp - hence the whole of one side being tiled...

Dr Wines (West Lodge) is very good too - nice living area...

Which 'station' house?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

A couple of the "conversions" that have been done, were done by the people that lived in them (or so I've been told). I think one such example was a pair of houses by Peele Bridge. I think these may have been "re-converted" following that member of staff leaving.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:A couple of the "conversions" that have been done, were done by the people that lived in them (or so I've been told). I think one such example was a pair of houses by Peele Bridge. I think these may have been "re-converted" following that member of staff leaving.
I've heard that too - i think at one point they were knocked together as one house... I think...
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

I can remember other chats about the station cottages too. They were nice little abodes. But rather small... And I gather some houses have had to be completely stripped (and in one case I heard aboout, fumigated!) when residents moved out!!! Ewww.....

Isn't the oddest house supposed to be the Porters (?) House behind the sicker? I gather it was originally designed as the reception area for new boys so it's kind of a walk through building with odd original flooring (along the lines of washable flagstones - obviously covered by the incumbents as the years go on). Enter one end as a civvie, get checked over (t.b. et c) and exit as a housey boy. Any unsavoury clothes (e.g. ones with lice) were burnt at the end. I'm not sure the house was all that necessary as the 20th century progressed.

The 1902 attached houses always seemed tardis like to me - much vaster on the inside than they appeared on the outside against the boarding house.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The house behind the sicker is truely a strange beast - I have never been in there though!

I did love living in the attached houses as they had those huge ceilings and in Peele I lived in the 2 attic rooms - originally for the housemaster's butler and maid...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I well remember The Coleridge B Housemasters house, (one down from the Head-Masters ??).

N.T. Fryer had it in my day. A wonderful, friendly family house.

He used to hold bird-ringing parties in the garden in the summer (NO PLUM. Not those sort of birds !)

Sadly, I learnt a couple of years ago that N.T.F. shot himself after leaving C.H. to take up a post at another school.

I heard rumours of dark clouds over his departure from Horsham !

Anyone know anything more on that subject ??
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deputy head lives in that house now...