Silly things you did at school that could have killed you

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:Oi RR - I think AKAP was trying to be discreet.

Anyway - talking of bombs - didn't one contemporary of ours (German + motorbikes) build a bomb and nearly blew up one of the houemasters flats at the back of Peele in the late 70's???

I went to his stag night yearts later and the lady entertainers took a look at the wedding party and b*ggered off!!
Discreet? After all this time? No-one's going to get rusticated now!

No, I don't really recall the attempted bombing of the Peele flats. Nothing like putting those chemistry lessons to good use, though.

Didn't Crater-Head live in the Peele B flat for a while? I seem to remember going there for some Grade 6 theory classes.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Can't remember ever going to Craterhead's flat -
There again - can't remember much these days.
But I did do music theory -
Playing 'summertime' tomorrow night (Miles Davis version)
at some jazz evening over here....
Reminds me of old times.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I'm hoping to see the C.H. Big Band at a couple of forthcoming gigs.

I don't think I've ever been to one of the gigs since we were in it!

chris the crisp
2nd Former

Not quite blowing up a flat....

Post by chris the crisp »

but my trusty companion in mischief, Frazer Mare, did bring in a couple of shotgun cartridges he found in his Grandad's attic.

When i look back on the incidents that followed i do cringe just thinking about how wrong it all could have gone but pouring out and lighting the gun powder on back ash did make me feel a bit like a pirate lighting a fuse that was going to scuttle a ship!
Anyhoo, being pyromainiac 13 year old tykes, we were sure that other components of the shell were flammable too, especially the bit that looked like compressed cotton wool.....cue the whole of back ash looking to precisely where we were standing as the primer charge made an almighty bang as we held a lighter to it! We were also both temporarly deaf for at least 3 hour after.....didn't get caught though!
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

We did light our farts while sitting on the straw in the cow sheds and smoking pot.

Had to stamp out a couple of small fires.

:oops: :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

How male!!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:How male!!
Just some males.

Not all males.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AKAP wrote:
englishangel wrote:How male!!
Just some males.

Not all males.
Too true! Not all of us were into smoking pot, you know!

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

:lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

huntertitus wrote:There were some of us who used to bury aerosol cans in the bocker's bonfire at the back of Barnes B and we would lie in wait to see the bocker jump when the can exploded
At the end of my first job we had to clear up and dispose of unused stores. This latter included a considerable number of Camping Gaz cylinders - the 4 inch high ones - which, obviously, were unused. So, a couple of doxen on the firewood and apply blazing branches .................

The bosses were not amused. Since we were on low volume rations for thye duration there were numerous attempts to get a cylinder to explode underwater, thus making available a good supply of char; failed :cry:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

On our LE in Col.B we climbed out the lav end windows one gloriously sunny afternoon to sunbathe on the roof of the house tutor's flat - about 6 of us were out there. I have pix somewhere.
Naturally we all denied it that night to Jude Avenell who had stormed into dorm that night with characteristic fervour demanding culprits. Who? Us? But someone had left a communards tape, a towel and a french vocab book out there, so we were done for. It wasn't until the following day that we discovered that the reason she knew was because we had inadvertently given the tuckshop queue below a good show ....

The windows were welded shut that week.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Bleh... nanny state!

:evil:
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I don't remember doing anything really crazy other than smashing ****** around the head with a cricket bat becused he had really annoyed me. It was a true testament to being a hardy Yorkshireman that he survived said attack. He even bought me a half pint in the Grecian's club that night.

I do remember Mid B dorm raids being dangerous to everyone involved, instigators and victims alike
Last edited by UserRequestedRemoval on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Happy wrote:On our LE in Col.B we climbed out the lav end windows one gloriously sunny afternoon to sunbathe on the roof of the house tutor's flat - about 6 of us were out there. I have pix somewhere.
Naturally we all denied it that night to Jude Avenell who had stormed into dorm that night with characteristic fervour demanding culprits. Who? Us? But someone had left a communards tape, a towel and a french vocab book out there, so we were done for. It wasn't until the following day that we discovered that the reason she knew was because we had inadvertently given the tuckshop queue below a good show ....

.... hmmmm ..... can we see them?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Not quite blowing up a flat....

Post by LongGone »

chris the crisp wrote:but my trusty companion in mischief, Frazer Mare, did bring in a couple of shotgun cartridges he found in his Grandad's attic.

When i look back on the incidents that followed i do cringe just thinking about how wrong it all could have gone but pouring out and lighting the gun powder on back ash did make me feel a bit like a pirate lighting a fuse that was going to scuttle a ship!
Anyhoo, being pyromainiac 13 year old tykes, we were sure that other components of the shell were flammable too, especially the bit that looked like compressed cotton wool.....cue the whole of back ash looking to precisely where we were standing as the primer charge made an almighty bang as we held a lighter to it! We were also both temporarly deaf for at least 3 hour after.....didn't get caught though!
We were all fairly adept at making a wide range of explosives and incendiary devices. Nitrogen triiodide made a good (though very risky) detonator for homemade bombs and thermite was a regular favorite. Mostly set off in Sharpenhurst wood. We also created a variety of lethal gases and ignited sinks containing chloroform. We were lucky to avoid mercury poisoning since we routinely stole and played with it and survived eating wild birds eggs cooked in the lab and eaten with dissecting instruments. I think we could have taught a survival course on the edible plants and animals of Sussex since we were always hungry enough to try anything.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg