Need help with an issue!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Deb GP wrote:I didn't really believe in anything at school. But chapel was one of those guaranteed times that I could be still and quiet for a while and I enjoyed that immensely. That hour of escapism kept me sane.

I enjoyed the singing and joined the choir which also made it worth while.

Some of the sermons were certianly worth listening to. PD James, the chief Rabbi, the Anglican Chief exorcist, Simon what's his name who was injured in the Falklands spring to mind.

For what you can gain from attending the school, 90 minutes a week sitting still is a small thing to do and I don't think you'll be compromising your beliefs nor lack of them.
Simon Weston is the chap you were trying to remember.

And if there is one thing CH teaches you, it is to be broad-minded, as I think you can see from all the other posts on this forum.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I have to be honest, I found chapel rather restful. As for the paintings along the walls, I studied them all in minute detail. I was a great time for inner reflection.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

soc wrote:I have to be honest, I found chapel rather restful.
So you managed to catch up on some sleep, then!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

LOL - "No sir, my eyes were closed because I was praying, not because I was asleep" And quite often, I'm sure the staff would have said the same thing to us about whether they were snoozing or contemplating.

Senior school chapel in the week was essential for last minute vocab learning.
Ariel
2nd Former

Post by Ariel »

Firstly, thank you for the in-depth replies and kind comments - I'll try and respond to all the main points.

I think perhaps I could live with chapel attendance, perhaps I have been slightly close-minded - I can't stop people expressing their religious views in the public domain, nor would I wish to. If I can live with that, I could sit down and listen to somebody express a view I don't share for a while. My real concern was overt religious pressure, which thankfully doesn't seem to be the case.

Please note my anti-religion is subjective, philosophical and respectful. I don't go around denouncing the faith of others just as the majority of Christians don't make uninvited comments to atheists or agnostics.

Anyways:
DavebytheSea wrote:The fact is that chapel is a core part of the community experience of Christ's Hospital. Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist - all meet there to share a common experience. For some that may be perceived as a Christian experience, but for plenty others it is not - nor does it have to be for you. The music is rich, the sermons occasionally interesting and the murals endlessy fascinating. In my opinion, if you cut yourself off from this, you will inevitably be the poorer for it. No one at the school will try and force Christianity down your throat, but they will hope to engender a respect and a toleration of the beliefs of others. Please do not insist on cutting yourself off from such a central part of the CH corporate life; to do so would be to demonstrate the very intolerance which you, with some justification I think, perceive in some of us who would call ourselves Christian.
I don't really think a lack of attendance is tantamount to intolerance. Imagine if you were forced to attend a synagogue, mosque or a secular lecture on the irrationality of faith. Presumably you would be uncomfortable in such a situation, being told something that actually contradicts your position as if it were irrefutable fact and being forced to listen.

There are of course intolerant, even dogmatic atheists of a zealous nature that rivals even that of the most fundamentalist Christian. I judge by the individual in all circumstances.
jtaylor wrote:I would suggest attendance at the services - as previously suggested, this could be an interesting intellectual learning experience to hear the other views, and encourage intelligent debate.
Religion without intelligent debate is dangerous in my genuinely humble opinion....(happy to be argued with!)
I value debate highly, but that isn't the purpose of a religious ceremony - you are expected to sit down, shut up and listen. I can see where you're coming from, though. It would promote understanding if nothing else.

Remember, I do understand the theistic position to an extent - I used to have faith myself, though it was a confused mixture of Judaism and Christianity - sort of like Messianic Judaism, though that itself is a confused term.
Richard Ruck wrote:I often didn't really appreciate having to attend, say, a maths lesson on a Saturday morning, but I just got on with it.
Presumably you didn't find maths offensive! Still, I could sympathize if you did.
soc wrote:Being Catholic I was given the option of not attending ANY chapel services. I decided to go for the sake of being a part of the group. I also joined the chior because I enjoyed singing.
I'd find it pretty troubling if that were not extended to atheists - there is a marked tendency to view atheism as not a hard metaphysical stance at all, but as a state of indecisiveness or weakness that is merely transitory.

So, are Catholics still excused to your knowledge? If so I can't see on what grounds its denied to others, though I wouldn't be surprised.
englishangel wrote:And if there is one thing CH teaches you, it is to be broad-minded, as I think you can see from all the other posts on this forum.
Well, you don't criticise somebody for not choosing to read a book of revisionist history which could possibly offend. Certainly there is much in the Bible (specifically the Jewish Bible) that offends me, even if it is in my view fictional. Violence, racism, sexual deviance, genocide, bigotry, human rights violations - its all there.
Great Plum wrote:Even the most ardent teenage athiests/ agnostics went to chapel...
If they chose to do that, thats cool, but I'd really prefer not to. I would try it of course, but if I find it uncomfortable I don't like the idea of being forced to attend.
Mrs C. wrote:As EA points out, state schools are generally required to have a daily act of religious worship - CH only asks this of its pupils twice a week!
In state schools with religious elements its a legal right to be excused altogether, at least for the time being.
Great Plum wrote:I think one thing to note is that the school is a religious foundation, so to expect no religious attendence at chapel etc would be wrong.
I don't expect it at all, which is why I'm asking you guys. If Christian belief is instrumental, I want to know about it so as to avoid any trouble from the offset.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Ariel wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Even the most ardent teenage athiests/ agnostics went to chapel...
If they chose to do that, thats cool, but I'd really prefer not to. I would try it of course, but if I find it uncomfortable I don't like the idea of being forced to attend.
If you would be uncomfortable with attending Chapel , which IS COMPULSORY for ALL pupils, perhaps this is not the school for you after all. There is no question of "trying" it - it is done . End of story.
Last edited by Mrs C. on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Ariel, I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you. It's but a part, and a small part of school life. It's like marching to lunch and sports cup ties at the end of term. It's just something that's done. Life's like that.
Last edited by Deb GP on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Mrs C. wrote:If you would be uncomfortable with attending Chapel , which IS COMPULSORY for ALL pupils, perhaps this is not the school for you after all. There is no question of "trying" it - it is done . End of story.
And so it is like that with much of life. I can think of many worse things to be obliged to do.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

i agree with mrs C its a part of the life you either lump it and get on with it or you dont come to the schol. Religion is by no means forced upon you, although i didnt always enjoy chapel i enjoyed singing and sometimes the people talking there had things to say i would not have normally got the oppoutunity to hear.

If you really feel this strongly i dont suggest you go as you will find yourself constantly battling with something that has been going for hundreds of years!

We all have to do things we dont like or find uncomfrtable in life its up to you whether or not you think all the postivies of school out do the issue?
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Indeed. It would be like not going because you didn't like the idea of Marching in to Lunch as it might force on you a militaristic mind set. Or not going because sometimes you had to go to the Theatre for English home-work. Or not going because you had to wear a funny uniform.

It really bothers me when parents say things like "Jimmy didn't want to go because of the uniform".... Utter, utter wallies. Do they really understand what Jimmy would be missing out on??? More like Jimmy was a spoilt, little oik (and to be honest, it was probably better for the sanity of everyone else that he didn't go!). I'm not saying that you are in that camp Ariel - I commend you for your principals (sp?) - but believe me, CH isn't God Squad (obviously you get the one or two which you'd get anywhere but they're the exception).

Don't waste a marvellous opportunity - unless of course you've had a better offer with guaranteed A-level grades and two fun filled years of whatever you want them to be with everything at your fingertips.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Actually (sorry to DP again) - it must be a bit of a bother being staff and having to go to chapel - particulary on what is probably your one day off per week and possibly you may have had some friends round to lunch, have shared a bottle of wine, and then, instead of settling down for a relaxed evening watching Top Gear (or whatever) you've got to go and sit in a Chapel for an hour with a bunch of teenagers and try to set an example of looking/behaving engaged with what's going on and not to nod off.

Suddenly the drudgery of the 9-5 doesn't seem so bad.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Staff are only expected to go to chapel when they`re on duty, I think !
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Ariel, have you considered making a visit to CH? You could speak to some of the students (the vast majority of whom I expect share your feelings on religion and compulsory chapel) and you could even attend a chapel service.

I understand your position with regards chapel; it's not the content but the compulsory aspect. All I can do is reiterate the point that chapel services are rarely extremely religous affairs and many of the sermons are quite surprisingly refreshing and diverse. Quite "unreligous" infact (I'm still thinking of that guy who shouted at us that we would go to hell for eating meat - nutter). Point is, chapel, while compulsory, isn't what you expect. There will be little of the christian/juden/islamic/whatever intolerance that you are expecting and instead a wealth of educational and thought provoking talks. Some you will, of course, disagree wholeheartedly with, and some you may find offensive to your beliefs. Many will enlighten you though, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what it has to offer.

So, yes you ae forced to go, which sucks, but you are not being forced to attend for religous reasons, but so that you can hear interesting guest speakers. There is a splattering of religous singalong to build community spirit etc, which you are within your rights to not participate in.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

This Saturday is Admissions Open Day for 6th form entry 2007.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Graham - well put. And you've just reminded me, I can't remember anyone ever saying Amen in a full school service after the priest had said something like a collect or the intercessions unless it was part of either the grace or the lord's prayer and even then, many people didn't join in from beginning to end. When I was in the choir I can remember the choir being coached to actually say "Amen" for special services like the Spital Sermon, Carol Service or Speech Day so it didn't sound too silent for the visitors - and even then some chose not to.

IIRC, No one was told off for not singing, praying et c - so long as they stood and sat down when everyone else did and generally showed respect for those who did want to join in.