First days at school

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

sure do - when the machine`s working! Has been out of action most of this term so far, unfortunately
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

That must be frustrating for the kids!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

blondie95 wrote:I just remeber my mum's face when i got to my halls at demontfort and she saw how bare and small the room was-oh my stomach lept as i realised what i was doing!

Amy, I thought that you were a nice girl (a nice nice girl rather than a nice girl); how on earth can you make such an admision?

A while ago, during the Pope's rampages your Mr de Montfort was outside the gates of Beziers and ordered all Cathars to be killed. The question was asked "how do we tell the (estimated 200) Cathars from the rest (about 20,000) to which de Montfort's bishop replied: "Kill them all; God will know his own"

A little later your Mr de Montfort was beseiging Carcassonne when he heard that Lavelanet (home of the ex Man Utd goalie) was playing up. He took 200 prisoners to Lavelanet, cut off their tongues and ears and removed all their eyes except one eye of the man who had to lead the rest around the town walls.

Having dealt with Carcassonne in his normal inimitable manner he beseiged Montsegur which was the last Cathar stronghold. The Cathars all committed suicide and the rest - mainly women and children - agreed to surrender when he promised that they woud be spared. They came down and the next day he burned the lot.
Normal practice in those days (contrary to public opinion) was to kill the person first or at least render them unconscious and then burn them - in this case they were burned alive and kicking.

How any self respecting community can honour such a murderous b****rd I cannot understand. How you can admit any connection .......

Oh Amy....

BTW - the Cathars were strict Christians.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

David, I think there are two different people here.

Simon de Montfort, the persecutor of the Cathars, was the father of the Simon de Montfort after whom the University is named.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Wasn't Simon De Montfort eventually killed after losing the battle of Evesham in an attempt to become King of England.

Althougth there was the 5th (I think) Earl of Leicester, Simon De Montfort who went off to fight the 4th crusade and then ended up a leading member of the army that put the Cathars down so brutally. This De Montfort died during a seige of more Cathars or some other band unlucky enough to have annoyed the Pope.

Dear God, I think I did pay attention in History