Accents

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:North America is such a big country you really can't generalise.

Same goes for Australia.

My kids (born in NZ, raised in Australia) are often taken for Poms when they visit the Eastern states.

South Australians have a softer (hence, more Pom-like) accent than Victorians or New South Welshies. The latter say schooooool and poooooool and dance as opposed to darnce. Some Queenslanders sound like Kiwis.

My favourite Aussie v Kiwi put down (it can be reversed)?

Q: Why do Kiwis wear jandals? (alternately, why do Aussies wear thongs?)

A: Because they are too dumb to tie their shoe laces.

Quick translation: Aussie thongs = Kiwi Jandals = Pommie flip flops (or Japanese sea boots, as my ex-Navy ex-husband calls them).

As for Kiwis sounding like South Africans - oh d-d-dear :( Not the same at all.

All this coming from someone who used to be able to pick a Battersea accent from other London accents, but who recently kept asking a German student if he was sure he was German, as he sounds so French. Resorted to asking where in Germany he is from. Nowhere near the French border, but he has been working in South Africa for some years. Would have thought that would make him sound more German.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

No, I know that they arent the same - it was the first frantic phonecall to the NZ embassy that made me think that (and my first real contact with an NZ accent, when I've used to South African all my life).

North America is a continent not a country!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hannoir wrote:No, I know that they arent the same - it was the first frantic phonecall to the NZ embassy that made me think that (and my first real contact with an NZ accent, when I've used to South African all my life).

North America is a continent not a country!
I know that, but I was generalising, the North and south of the US is more different than crossing the border from US to Canada
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

If you are having problems with accents then this bit of software may help . . .

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/FrenchChars/Ty ... acters.htm

:lol: :lol:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hannoir wrote:North America is a continent not a country!

Depends whether or not you are including Canada :)
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Canada is in north America, no??
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:Canada is in north America, no??
Of course it is. I think somebody was trying to be clever. :)

Geographically, at least part of Mexico is also in North America. But the term is often used here to refer specifically to Canada and the U.S. That's especially true when it's describing the boundaries of some product or service.