Paul Simon Wembley Arena 10th November 2006

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Paul Simon Wembley Arena 10th November 2006

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fantastic!!!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

I have to agree! I recently saw him at the MEN Arena in Manchester and he was terrific. 5 encores with a stunning version of Mrs Robinson and an acoustic solo of Homeward Bound.
As a bonus everyone on leaving the venue was given a free cd too.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Hi Shoz - although I have no idea what this topic is about, it's nice to see you back!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Blimey Dave, even you, tucked away in your corner of the country must have heard of Simon and Garfunkel. The thread is about the eponymous Paul Simon and his current concert tour.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I thought he was an American actor? ...... or was that Dustin Hoffman? It was so long ago that I saw the film.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Oh I remember now - "Sounds of Silence", Mrs Robinson etc. Was that the same Simon?

How was I to know? What happened to Gar Funkel?
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

DavebytheSea wrote:Oh I remember now - "Sounds of Silence", Mrs Robinson etc. Was that the same Simon?

How was I to know? What happened to Gar Funkel?
I think you have everyone mixed up here! Simon and Garfunkel wrote some of the music for the sound track of the film The Graduate, a film starring Dustin Hoffman.

Paul and Arty split up in the early 70s as Garfunkel wanted to concentrate on his acting career. They have made a couple of comebacks since, Arty recently did a UK tour and now Paul is doing the same thing.

Thanks also for the welcome back, it's very much appreciated!
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Beware of friends bearing flowers

Post by sejintenej »

Seeing as Shoz has shown his face again (at long last -= welcome back and don't make it so long next time) a word of warning about bouquets which concerns him and other feline lovers

Don't give lilies or a bunch of flowers containing lilies to anyone who has a cat.

All parts of virtually all lilies (and that includes the pollen which falls on the floor) are fatal to cats in the smallest doses. Death is by kidney failure over about 48 hours. My son ordered a bouquet for the wife of a friend - with those results; she has got distinctly unpleasant about it even though even she didn't know about the danger.

Now about those dang cats which chase the birds in my garden ........
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

shoz wrote:I have to agree! I recently saw him at the MEN Arena in Manchester and he was terrific. 5 encores with a stunning version of Mrs Robinson and an acoustic solo of Homeward Bound.
Someone told me that he composed Homeward Bound whilst waiting for a tube train in London.
I was told this in 1968 by someone who who was a friend of Paul Simons' whilst he was staying in London.
Never found out whether it was true or not.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

more likely British Rail train - he`d have had plenty of time then!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

No, definitely the Blunderground. He used to stay somewhere around Notting Hill I think.
As far as I can work out, certainly on the suburban lines that I use to visit my mother, the times and the duration of the journey have not changed since the mid 60's. It's the buses that don't run.Once on a trip from Valencia to my mothers, 20% of the travel time was spent waiting for the bus at the end. I got so bored I did the calculation.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

jhopgood wrote:
shoz wrote:I have to agree! I recently saw him at the MEN Arena in Manchester and he was terrific. 5 encores with a stunning version of Mrs Robinson and an acoustic solo of Homeward Bound.
Someone told me that he composed Homeward Bound whilst waiting for a tube train in London.
I was told this in 1968 by someone who who was a friend of Paul Simons' whilst he was staying in London.
Never found out whether it was true or not.
You're almost right here. He did compose this at a station in England while travelling from gig to gig but it was actually Wigan Station. There is a plaque there to commemorate this but it is constantly being stolen.
Can you guess that S&G are my all time favourite singers?
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Beware of friends bearing flowers

Post by shoz »

sejintenej wrote:Seeing as Shoz has shown his face again (at long last -= welcome back and don't make it so long next time) a word of warning about bouquets which concerns him and other feline lovers

Don't give lilies or a bunch of flowers containing lilies to anyone who has a cat.

All parts of virtually all lilies (and that includes the pollen which falls on the floor) are fatal to cats in the smallest doses. Death is by kidney failure over about 48 hours. My son ordered a bouquet for the wife of a friend - with those results; she has got distinctly unpleasant about it even though even she didn't know about the danger.

Now about those dang cats which chase the birds in my garden ........
Thankyou for the welcome, I have made a promise not to say anything contraversial this time, so I should be here to stay!

I will also keep my moggie away from lillies from now on!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I would have loved to have gone to that gig! Did he play anything from Graceland?

His new CD is meant to be good as well...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:I would have loved to have gone to that gig! Did he play anything from Graceland?

His new CD is meant to be good as well...
Yes he did a couple of Graceland tracks. The format (more or less) was one track from Surprise and then an older number. I like going to see Simon and Garfunkel or Paul Simon as I'm usually relatively young compared to other audience members.

However there were a lot of youngsters there too which was good to see and they seemed as enthralled as us old farts.

It was a great atmosphere and Paul looked as though he genuinely enjoyed it and appeared touched by the applause he received.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72