Health tips

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Health tips

Post by englishangel »

a friend sent me this in an email, I haven't seen it before but seems logivcal to me. The life it saves may be yours.

Does anyone else have any such tips?

Perhaps you are already aware of this... but, just in case...

Smile, Talk, Raise both hands. It is easy

Pass this on

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters...

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously.. Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S* Ask the individual to SMILE.

T* Ask the person to TALK . to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)

R* Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

EA, thanks for that. My knowledge of first aid is so lacking. This could become a really useful thread.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Ok, a couple of easy but common ones:

Stings: use a knife (sharp side) or man's wet razor to slide along the skin to snag and pull the sting out. No Knife? a finger nail does the job. (In fact a wasp doesn't normally leave the sting in but do it in any case so that you don't have to remember that fact). Make the victim sit down and relax - watch for shock (cold shivering, sweating). If it was a hornet (ie a huge wasp) get medical attention promptly otherwise use discretion

Small splinters: use a man's wet type razor (anything but an electric one) and "shave" the splinter out - snags and pulls it.

Cuts: if bleeding hard just put anything (a finger, palm of your hand etc.) directly on the cut and press down. Make the victim sit down relaxed and raise the injury as high as possible above the heart (ie, arm or foot up). When ready replace that with a tight bandage.

Nose bleed: (courtesy of Dr Scott at CH - works with patients with no/ reduced factor 12 - ie clotting problems but not haemophilia which is factor 8 )
Sit patient comfortably and relaxed at a table, place bowl on table and ask patient to lean head on hands, elbows on table and just let the blood drip into the bowl. No cold compresses on neck, no cold keys, no plugging the nose or anything else - just let it drip. Works an absolute treat.

Burns and scalds: place affected part under cold water for at least 20 minutes. Treatment is very uncomfortable, even painful but highly effective in preventing damage. Get medical attention promptly
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Health tips

Post by Jeeves »

englishangel wrote:If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
Wouldn't it be more use dialling 999?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well it did come from the US
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Not sure about the truth of the results but apparently all schools in British Colombia decided they would teach kids CPR. After a year the authorities reckoned a thousand lives had been saved This seems a high result but learning CPR is highly desirable.
By law somebody in every reasonable size company in the UK must be trained in this and other procedures.
At the scene it is better to do something even if it doesn't work than to stand by unable to help.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

......... and I even managed to stay away from the obvious jokes regarding 'recognising a stroke' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have today received one about what to do if you are alone and think you may be having a heart attack. However it is a .pps. Does anyone know how to get that on here?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

-----Original Message-----
To: juneflude <jkfpam>
Sent: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10.58am
Subject: ICE on Your Mobile Phone Address List (Important and Urgent)

I got this today but I have actually had ICE husband (mob and work) ICE son, and ICE sister on my mobile for a couple of years.

Sent to me an excellent idea if we all do , actually recently when as I was driving in Wales to Ireland , I thought who would they contact if there was an accident , because we saw an awful accident on the country lanes , some idiot who could not wait to pass an 42ft arctic safely , and had a head on with the car innocently travelling towards him . so my numbers are in xxx

Hi everyone,
I'm forwarding this on because I believe it to be a fantastic idea. If everyone knows about it it could make a difference in an emergancy.
Isn't it true that we all carry our mobile phones with hundreds of names/numbers stored in its memory but yet nobody, other than ourselves, know which of these numbers belong to our near and dear ones?

Let us for a moment create a scenario wherein we are involved in an accident or had a heart attack and the people attending us get hold of our mobile phone but don't know which number to call to inform our family members. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency?

For this reason, we must have one or more telephone numbers stored under the name ICE (In case of Emergency) in our mobile phones.

Recently, the concept of "ICE" is catching up quickly. It is simple, an important method of contact during emergency situations.

As cell phones are carried by majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or person who should be contacted at during emergency as ICE" (meaning In Case of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when they went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call.

He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose.

Following a disaster in London , the East Anglican Ambulance Service has launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign.

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would then be able to quickly contact your next of kin, by simply dialing the number stored as "ICE".

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before every body will know about this.

It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our mobile phones today!

Please forward to your all nearest and dearest
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Health tips - heart attack

Post by englishangel »

Again got this one from the USA, I have changed the emergency number but there may be the odd U missing.

This is good info.

We did not know that you should NOT lie down while waiting for the Paramedic

Just a reminder to all: purchase a box, keep one in your car, pocketbook, wallet, bedside, etc.

IMPORTANT READ......

Something that we can do to help ourselves. Nice to know.

Why keep aspirin by your bedside?
About Heart Attacks

There are other symptoms of an heart attack besides the pain on the left arm.
One must also be aware of an intense pain on the chin, as well as nausea and lots ofsweating, however these symptoms may also occur less frequently.
Note: There may be NO pain in the chest during a heart attack.. The majority of people (about 60%) who had a heart attack during their sleep, did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep.

If that happens, immediately take two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.
Afterwards:
CALL 999
- say "heart attack!"
- say that you have taken 2 aspirins..
- phone a neighbor or a family member who lives very close by
- take a seat on a chair or sofa near the front door, and wait for their arrival and...
~ DO NOT lie down ~

A Cardiologist has stated that, if each person, after receiving this e-mail, sends it to 10 people, probably one life can be saved!

I have already shared the information- - What about you?

Do forward this message; it may save lives
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

This is turning out to be a useful thread - I just hope everyoone is acting on/ remembering the posts.

The Heimlich Manoeuvre (SP?)
You are in a cafe / restaurant and someone starts choking. What do you do?

Get behind them and put your arms under their armpits. Link your fingers together below the ribs. VERY SHARPLY jerk upwards and inwards HARD. Repeat if necessary.
The action forces air from the lungs in a sharp gust which blows the obstruction out. End of treatment.

Next - go to the local St Johns Ambulance or British Red Cross and take a course.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There are ads in the papers at the moment about learning various first aid stuff.

What to do in case of
Heart attack
Bleeding
Chocking
Drowning
and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I have a small sheet of laminated paper attached to my driver's license that has emergency contact numbers (family and doctor) as well as key medical information. Usually one of the first things police and emergency workers will check is your license, so they will immediately get any crucial information at the same time.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

During the snow my Dad wrote his important information on a piece of cardboard and slung it on a string around his neck so if he he slipped/collapsed in the snow it would be visible when his coat was opened.