one for the phone

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Did a spybot check but no trojans - only a few tracking cookies easily disposed of (they couldn't have sent a message home in any case)

Got it now but the music almost drowns out the singing. I wouldn't have even recognised it
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Has anybody got a copy of the whole song that they could upload onto the forum from a past cd or something?

Thanks
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Failing to Praise The Lord

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alas. Still perhaps if I ever get a more complicated phone I'll do it one day!

(More dreadful worries are intruding on my wish for upgraded phone though. How to afford the dentist? I was "dentally fit" when I gave up nursing, having worked a lot of nights to achieve this. Now I need more stuff done! I shall be a toothless crone in the darkest corner of a Sunshine Home. Sorry everyone, off topic!!!)

In anxiety

Munch
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

peter2095 wrote:Has anybody got a copy of the whole song that they could upload onto the forum from a past cd or something?

Thanks
DBTS ( Davebythesea) has it - a lovely version too !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

peter2095 wrote:Has anybody got a copy of the whole song that they could upload onto the forum from a past cd or something?

Thanks
Well, I have the whole thing beautifully recorded on mp3 (and it has been my ringtone for a year!). Before I make it accessible to all, can someone tell me if there are likely to be any copyright considerations?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

DavebytheSea wrote:

Thanks
Well, I have the whole thing beautifully recorded on mp3 (and it has been my ringtone for a year!). Before I make it accessible to all, can someone tell me if there are likely to be any copyright considerations?
I'm not a lawyer but it is my belief that copyright ceases after a certain time (?60 years not sure though).

I believe it was Rev Upcott who composed the hymn late 19th or early 20th century so I would have thought copyright would no longer apply.

Just found this site that MIGHT help. I've not looked at it in any depth.

http://www.nodanw.com/copyright/index.htm

Click on idiot's guide. No reflection on you David :!: :oops: :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:I'm not a lawyer but it is my belief that copyright ceases after a certain time (?60 years not sure though).

I believe it was Rev Upcott who composed the hymn late 19th or early 20th century so I would have thought copyright would no longer apply.

Just found this site that MIGHT help. I've not looked at it in any depth.

http://www.nodanw.com/copyright/index.htm

Click on idiot's guide. No reflection on you David :!: :oops: :wink:
Thanks for the reference - perhaps I was right according to this.
OK so Upcott's work can be performed freely.

However (one third of the way down the idiots guide) if any professional musician (such as a music master arranging the piece, conducting the choir/musicians or playing an instrument) is involved then the (now) 70 years starts from the date of the recording and that professional's permission to record his/her labours is required and he may have to be paid for such permission.

There is another possibility. If you have this on a mobile phone then when it rings the music is broadcast to everyone in the railway carriage, shop or whatever. This is a bit like having a radio in an office staff coffee room; you need a broadcasting licence to have the music from the radio heard by any other person. (I kid you not - that is all too true!) I think the requirement lapses if the music/recording was produced more than 70 years ago.
I assume that with downloaded ring tones they re-record and release the broadcast rights or otherwise get round the rules - you have to check the laws which are generally outside my ken. (I was involved when the question of the radio in our office rest room was raised so I know about that)

Complicated? Yes -and I've hardly started!

No reflection on you Andy :!: :oops: :wink: You don't have a twisted mind (and I'm sure that will come back to haunt me)

I've got so many tee shirts from looking at all the twists and turns all the time I can't think straight any more. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon considering the jurisprudence relating to the current complaints about bank charges. Based on existing case law most customers probably don't have a foot to stand on (but get me representing the customer I can twist even that the other way round in three legal systems)
As for refusing to let a London cabbie carry out an on-the-spot medical examination on you if you are 18 or 78, female and/or attractive - well, just don't try to refuse if you know what's good for you!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thanks everybody. Having read all of that (including the idiot's guide). I suspect that there is a copyright in the recording if not in the words and music. (Apparently the very reverend Dean Upcott, God rest his soul, was a beater of great prowess and frequency as well as a author/composer of that wonderful hymn. I'm sure he won't mind, but what about his successors ..... ?)

Erring possibly on the side of safety, I am not willing to publish my recording here; however, if anyone cares to PM me ...........
(Mod: ......then I will of course reply saying I couldn't possibly share this copyright material!)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)