First time visitor

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Jenny, dear , that's just Alzheimer kicking in ! Of course, wasn't all bad , but still neolithic by current standards... I mean, I can remember being lectured " en masse" in my lower VI about the dangers of using tampons... and being made to sew up your pockets for putting you hands in them ( what else were they for ?????) - I could go on ....
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I was at Hertford for 4 years and then Horsham for 3 years so got to experience both schools. Hertford was much more strict than Horsham. There were major differences between the schools. Hertford was soooo small compared to Horsham and the fact they had broken bottles stuck to the tops of the walls surrounding the girls school didn't help :shock: The teachers at Hertford were all (with a couple of exceptions) getting on a bit and most seemed very set in their ways. Moving to Horsham was an eye opener - we had much more freedom and even the Grecians Club that sold ALCOHOL!!! No such privileges at Hertford. The closest thing they had there I guess was for the final year at Hertford (1984-1985) whan 8's was shut down and then used by the Upper V1 (maybe the Lower V1 too - can't remember :? ) - not sure exactly what went on in there but I doubt very much if alcohol was legally allowed!!!
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Well, anything that can be done to try and keep the Old Blue community in some sort of cohesive form must be a good thing.

Best of luck with the site.

Ben
rebel
3rd Former

Post by rebel »

First time I've looked in here. I was very interested in Vonny's post - she must have thought she'd died and gone to heaven moving to Horsham. Quite a culture shock. I was glad to see the posts from the over fifties who were at Hertford- not that I am trying to create a sob club - but at least I don't feel quite as much a pariah in terms of my reaction to the experience. And I was even before their time, so that much worse. I only wish things had changed for us as much as they did for the boys since Charles Lamb's time, when the boys, too, had hard times - enough to get CH into the world encyclopaedia of cruelty. Anyway, like the other girls of my vintage, I would like to learn more of the more recent things that go on at the school. The only thing I did like was being in the choir, when we did have access to some lovely anthems.This was the only opportunity we had to listen to any music except on Sundays when we were given special permission to listen to Sunday Hymn singing on the radio for half an hour. I did begin to learn to play thepiano but had to stop because we couldn't afford it, and I could only have lessons free if I agreed to play the organ in chapel. I was too terrified, at 11, to even consider this so that was that.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Just a quick "hello" really at this stage.

Post by Mid A 15 »

I stumbled across the link to the site when browsing old blues . com.

I think the forum is an excellent initiative and I have spent far too much time reading the threads over the last day or two. This has triggered mixed emotions as seems the case with most of you from reading the threads.

One observation. It is very easy to forget that opinions of what is acceptable change over time. Therefore the older amongst us should perhaps try to view negative aspects of the School in the context of what was socially acceptable in those days even if scars (mental or physical) from those days have taken time to heal.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Just a quick "hello" really at this stage.

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:I stumbled across the link to the site when browsing old blues . com.

I think the forum is an excellent initiative and I have spent far too much time reading the threads over the last day or two. This has triggered mixed emotions as seems the case with most of you from reading the threads.

One observation. It is very easy to forget that opinions of what is acceptable change over time. Therefore the older amongst us should perhaps try to view negative aspects of the School in the context of what was socially acceptable in those days even if scars (mental or physical) from those days have taken time to heal.
I think what you say is quite right, although in this day and age of 'hoodies' and 'base-ball caps', perhaps just a little more discipline and respect for ones elders wouldn't go a-miss !

I don't bare mental scars and can now appreciate the severe regime of education in the early sixties !
JackD
2nd Former

Post by JackD »

I think Mid A 15 is correct (I was Mid A 16). Also one needs to think of the school experience compared with the alternatives available in our time. It is very clear to me that my alternatives were very much worse from 1940-48 and the school was great for me from both the educational and social points of view. Without Housey I would also have had small exposure to sports that have been a happy part of my whole life, so far.
NP
2nd Former

Post by NP »

Just thought I'd say that I've just found this forum and think it's such an excellent idea for all these OBs to keep in touch. Well done.
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Another old f@rt joins the forum - from the golden era of the 70s with happy memories of friends, grecian's club :wink: , punk, "cattle markets" :D and sport!
BaB, ColB 1973-80
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

43 ?????????

OLD ?????????????????

I MUST BE PREHISTORIC !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Must be something to do with hitting 40 J.R..........and when one's eldest child becomes a teenager. I'll gladly move the goalposts!
BaB, ColB 1973-80
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Our eldest Grand-Daughter is taller than 'Er Indoors !

(P'raps I AM prehistoric !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.