"Doss" lessons....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

"Doss" lessons....

Post by jtaylor »

Reading the new Harry Potter book (sorry, but I do like them!) - she mentions a lesson being a "doss"....a word I'd completely forgotten!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

New word to me ! - Explain Julian.

Haven't got round to starting the new book yet. Reading a large book about Dr Shipman. (Nothing like a bit of 'light entertainment').
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Doss: meaning to scive (or is that skive?), bunk off, mess about, not do much, divert attention from curricular activities. A 'doss lesson' would usual involve an easily side-tracked teacher (such as Smeggy O'Meara) or even better - no teacher at all. Does anyone recall the 15 minute rule - if the teacher hadn't turned up within 15 minutes of the lesson starting you could leave.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:Doss: meaning to scive (or is that skive?), bunk off, mess about, not do much, divert attention from curricular activities. A 'doss lesson' would usual involve an easily side-tracked teacher (such as Smeggy O'Meara) or even better - no teacher at all. Does anyone recall the 15 minute rule - if the teacher hadn't turned up within 15 minutes of the lesson starting you could leave.
No 15 minute rule in my day.

I don't ever remember a teacher NOT turning up.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I think the best teachers were the ones who were able to get "sidetracked" into something far more interesting than the lesson in hand and still ended up teaching a useful lesson!
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

the 15 minute rule was genious! always tried to modify it down to a 5 minute rules tho.. :wink:
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Doss Lessons

Post by jhopgood »

Never remember a 15 minute rule but we certainly invoked something.
We had Roger Biddick?? for Russian in the top classroom nearest Big side in the Maths block. (For those who remember, Pop Massen's room).
Our class started at 10.55 I think.
He was nearly always late and once we waited until 11 struck and a bit more and then as quietly as possible, went down the stairs and out of the block, scattering along the quarter mile.
As I came out I looked right and saw a bemused Biddick under the arch, watching us all leave.
We only had Russian once a week, a sort of elective for Grecians, and the next week, he was on time and made no mention of the Great Escape.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Russian, eh, John ?

Did you make it to a Cambridge Uni ????
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Some of the best lessons were sidetracking teachers... in most cases, it was oh so easy!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

Tom Keeley was the best for that.. I deliberately got into the bottom set in Latin so I could get him.. He either fell asleep or read from Lord of the Rings...

top chap

I seem to remember geog with Gunning to be pretty cool.. Half the lesson spend shooting the breeze about anything we liked and then the other half doing geog...

Nice, because this garnered our respect for him and thus we all wanted to concentrate in the second half of the lesson.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

slater was always a gooddun for sidetracking about the sewers in rome, or smeggy about the shrapnel in his head.

i don't think the 15 minute rule ever formally existed. it was certainly infamous though. you had to be really quiet when waiting outside the classroom otherwise the teacher next door would come out, bitch at you, and send for a replacement teacher from the school office. :evil:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

We tried the 15 minute rule when Mr Fleming was late for a 3rd form latin lesson once... we were all walking out of the prep block when he strolled in... that didn't go down too well!
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Mr Fleming rocks! He was the reason I actually enjoyed Latin on my Squits - nothing like learning how to swear to make classes interesting. "Flocci non facio" is still one of my most favourite phrases.

I was also very fond of his euphemisms; who remembers what Caecilius and Metella got up to in the horto? That's right, they were "having a chat"... apparently. :lol: This meant huge hilarity when another master inadvertently used one of the phrases that Mr F had hijacked. That way he got us on side early on and we respected him for gently taking the mickey out of the other masters. Pure genius.

Food and Nut was generally a "doss" lesson, plus we got something (vaguely) edible out of it... or RE/History/etc when the teacher couldn't be bothered and a Black Adder/Monty Pyton/etc video was guaranteed to keep us amused!
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i think i only had mr fleming for one lesson. he was covering for his wife, so he put on 'chelmsford 123', a comedy series about the romans in britain. legend.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I loved that programme! :)