Bob Sillett's horror/ghost stories....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Bob Sillett's horror/ghost stories....

Post by jtaylor »

All the talk about dormitory antics reminded me of Bob Sillett's horror stories he used to tell in Leigh Hunt B the first term each year, after lights out?

One of them was about a parrot that was fed people to eat....can't remember the rest.

Anyone else remember these, and could recount them here??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well after my time I'm afraid, JT !!

Prep B dorm was a 'ghost-story' in itself.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Jolyon »

Grimshaw used to do that from time to time as well. But none of the them stay in the mind sadly
In a little place in our hearts we never leave
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe was 2 years ahead of me and told dirty jokes my first night, I don't remember any ghost stories, but then I am more of a joke person.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

In 1982-84 Roger Martin read vampire stories to the juniors, quite possibly Bram Stoker's original. I still have a blanket in a cupboard somewhere which has knots in the tassels that were tied, one per night, while "Dodger" paced the pitch-black dormitory, reading from his book by torchlight. It was my favourite part of the day.

Bob Sillett would have terrified the life out of me at age 10! He turned out to be a nice fellow though - I used to have a very quick drink with him on Lord Mayors Days while the band were loading up the coaches. Never could bring myself to call him anything other than "Sir" though... old habits die hard. I wonder how retirement's treating him?
Barnes/Thornton 1982-1988
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Reuben wrote:In 1982-84 Roger Martin read vampire stories to the juniors, quite possibly Bram Stoker's original. I still have a blanket in a cupboard somewhere which has knots in the tassels that were tied, one per night, while "Dodger" paced the pitch-black dormitory, reading from his book by torchlight. It was my favourite part of the day.

Bob Sillett would have terrified the life out of me at age 10! He turned out to be a nice fellow though - I used to have a very quick drink with him on Lord Mayors Days while the band were loading up the coaches. Never could bring myself to call him anything other than "Sir" though... old habits die hard. I wonder how retirement's treating him?
When last seen by me at CH a few months ago - he`s thoroughly enjoying himself! Busier than ever.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

What were Bob Sillet's dates at CH ?

The name rings a bell from my days at Horsham.

Was he teaching there in the early 60's ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:What were Bob Sillet's dates at CH ?

The name rings a bell from my days at Horsham.

Was he teaching there in the early 60's ?
He was certainly there in '65 when I started.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:What were Bob Sillet's dates at CH ?
Robert David Taylor Sillett
About Bob Sillett
In September 1963, Bob Sillett was appointed to the staff of Christ's Hospital by the then Headmaster, George Seaman. Gordon van Praagh was instrumental in this appointment since he was keen to find a suitable replacement for Bill Kirby, who was retiring after many years' service to the school. Bob's specific remit was to teach science to the lower sets, which he has done for the last 38 years.

He married Denise in the summer of 1965 and in the following years they had three children, Tanya, Kate and Joe. The girls both completed their 6th form education at Christ's Hospital and Joe was the first non-Foundationer to have his father as Housemaster when he joined Leigh Hunt B in 1983.

Among the many roles Bob enjoyed were fourteen years as Housemaster. He was Chairman of the Games committee, rugby coach, referee and cricket coach. In subsequent years he became Third Master, Second Master and Deputy Head.

Other responsibilities included being Master in charge of Pageantry, President of the Band and he was a member of the Sports Centre building committee.

In July of this year (2002) Bob and Denise moved to their new home in Billingshurst, not a million miles from Christ's Hospital. Bob, Denise and their three children are now Governors. This will mean a continued link with the school for all members of the family as they present the child of their choice and support them during their time at Christ's Hospital.
Last edited by Vonny on Thu May 17, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

"Bob's specific remit was to teach science to the lower sets, which he has done for the last 38 years."

I was taught by him :lol:

His daughter Kate was on my year and also in BaB.
Reuben
3rd Former

Post by Reuben »

I was taught by him too! Two years of Biology up to O-level. I wasnt terribly hardworking back then, so only just managed to scrape through that one...

I also remember his daughter Tanya was heartstoppingly beautiful. For some reason Tanya Sillett and Sidonia Porteous were, for at least a term or two preceding the merger, the only two girls amongst hundreds of boys. I never dared speak a word to either of them, but I've often wondered if they ever forgave their dads for their time alone among so many boys... :)
Barnes/Thornton 1982-1988
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Reuben wrote:In 1982-84 Roger Martin read vampire stories to the juniors, quite possibly Bram Stoker's original. I still have a blanket in a cupboard somewhere which has knots in the tassels that were tied, one per night, while "Dodger" paced the pitch-black dormitory, reading from his book by torchlight. It was my favourite part of the day.
I was at school with Roger Martin and at that time we were read 'after lights out stories' by one of the House Monitors who sat in the middle of the dormitory with a torch reading books like "The Rain of Death". (I think the stories were only read on Saturday nights)
I am so pleased to hear that Roger Martin carried on the practice when he returned to CH.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Reuben wrote:For some reason Tanya Sillett and Sidonia Porteous were, for at least a term or two preceding the merger, the only two girls amongst hundreds of boys.
I remember that. Tanya was helping us all out on our first day with uniforms etc. I think she was only there for a year more after the girls joined.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

He had another daughter called Kate and son Joe who is the founder of wormwood who do the cricket bats.

I ended up at CH becuse of Mrs Sillett who was deputy head at my primary school in Slinfold (near Billingshurst where they now live)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I think you mean Woodworm - http://www.woodworm.tv/
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.