being woken up in the morning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

being woken up in the morning

Post by Hannoir »

imagine my discontent aged 16 when i was awoken for the first time ever by matron, after however many years at home waking up myself!
truly shocking.

sorry, my current thing is getting up, so please share CH waking up stories.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Miss Lindsay in BaB - anyone remember her waking us up?! Couldn't really forget! :shock:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was lucky enough to be be a non-foundationer so I got up myself! :)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

match quotes to members of staff:

'the sun is shining, it's a beautiful day...' (even if it was absolutely pIssing it down)

'wakey wakey hands off snakey!'

'Morning chaps!' (R.I.P., you legend)

'WAKE UP!' [screeched, en accent francais]

'time to get up pleathe!'
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

my fave was
"your name is hannah, its weds morning, its 8am, the sun is shining and george bush has been confirmed as the new US president"

seriously if she said that to me this time round there would have been trouble think i woulda taken to myself to the sicker on mental health grounds!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

Maine B and the curious combination of a dog and a madman (sorry Matt!) singing Van Morrison. I have been scarred for life.

Lights out was always quite amusing as well!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Andy Friend wrote:Maine B and the curious combination of a dog and a madman (sorry Matt!) singing Van Morrison. I have been scarred for life.

Lights out was always quite amusing as well!
It's OK, you didn't have to live with him! ;)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ha, werne't matrons great? :?
marty
Grecian

being woken up

Post by marty »

peele b memories :

(in 1992) Mr Phillips: "good morning, gentleman - we started bombing Iraq last night..."

Dr Maddren would wake us accompanied by his very young daughter Claire. The trick was to get changed without her seeing you naked...she once climbed into bed with Richard Corfield

Mr Flemming would simply rip your duvet off of you regardless of what you were wearing (or doing) and throw it in the ends

The worst thing was having to get up extra specially early if you were on "early trades" - thankfully these were abolished on my third form. Also, you had to "roll your bed" (fold the mattres over) to air it and then had to make it when you came back from breakfast. Why not just buy us new mattresses if they were so old ??
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Jenny L-C wrote:shows a lot about the quality of the mattresses if you could actually fold them over! Here, have a thin layer of foam to sleep on, nice and comfy!

Were these still "horsehair" (in fact a plant fibre of some kind) these need to air every so often so as not to rot! Certainly that is what we had (1970's) but the idea of "must air the mattress" may have outlasted the mattresses that needed it..

The horsehair pillows were fun too, mild concussion being a fequent result of pillow fights as they were fairly heavy. Also caused many ripped pillow cases
marty
Grecian

foam mattress - if only

Post by marty »

I wish the mattresses had been foam...they were horsehair...i had to sleep on those bl**dy things til I got to the deps ! We also had no carpet (not even on my GE) and we didn't get curtains until the L.E. so if a teacher didn't wake you the sun got you. I sound like an old git - supposed it made me the strapping young man I am today !!!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Claire Maddren... she's 21 now I think!
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

now, my maths ain't brilliant, but if marty's only 5 years older than her, then she can't have been that little. :?
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When he was a squit, she could have been 6!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

you're right, Great Plum. Claire's dad was only housemaster for my first 2 terms before handing over to Mr Gladding. She would have been 5 or 6 at the time - certainly too young to realise the dangers of getting into Corfield's bed !!