Deputy Grecian-2007+

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

We had compulsory house leagues on monday lunchtime and on thursday had to do some form of activity (mines was aerobics) so Tuesday, Wed and Fri spent napping. Although on Grecians in Grec W the tele went off after lunchtime neighbours and not allowed back on until tea time- so it was work/nap or go annoy someone else!

Horsham has improved there is a Topshop and Beales has some nice stuff!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

It sounds as if I`ll be seeing Gemma this afternoon .
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:I think we must have done trades etc after breakfast at Horsham, before 8.30 chapel,
Was that just juniors? I don't recall doing any trades at Horsham.
cj wrote:but the Hertford routine was still the same, with roll call in dayroom at 7.30 before duties
That must have depended on which house you were in as we didn't in 2's - or at least I don't remember having roll call :lol:
cj wrote:1s had a cooked breakfast once a week on a Monday. All the other houses had it twice a week!!!! It still rankles now. (Can you tell?)
I think 8's had cooked the same day as you didn't they (or had it closed by your time). 2's had theirs on a Tuesday along with 7's.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

gemmygemmerson wrote:New Col is a lovely place. Even though they stole our back entrance to put in a public toilet.
xxxxxxxx Gemma
I feel I must point out a bad choice of words Gemma, before someone accuses me of 'missing the obvious'

However, I take it that CH have eventually removed those porta-cabin loos between Coleridge B and the Dining Hall, and constructed proper loos at last !

DBTS:

Many thanks for your timetable. It brought bacckl so many memories, almost identical until C.M.E. Seaman left.

Didn't we get an extra hour in bed on Sunday mornings ? The bell going around 8:00, as I recall !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
gemmygemmerson wrote:New Col is a lovely place. Even though they stole our back entrance to put in a public toilet.
xxxxxxxx Gemma
I feel I must point out a bad choice of words Gemma, before someone accuses me of 'missing the obvious'

However, I take it that CH have eventually removed those porta-cabin loos between Coleridge B and the Dining Hall, and constructed proper loos at last !

DBTS:

Many thanks for your timetable. It brought bacckl so many memories, almost identical until C.M.E. Seaman left.

Didn't we get an extra hour in bed on Sunday mornings ? The bell going around 8:00, as I recall !
we got an hour and a quarter, bell going at 8:15 unless you were spud-bashing when it was 7am as usual.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

J.R. wrote:However, I take it that CH have eventually removed those porta-cabin loos between Coleridge B and the Dining Hall, and constructed proper loos at last !
Not quite...As Gemma has pointed out, they are inside the back ash entrance to Col B, and simply replaced the loos that were there already in the house, also closing off this exit and bricking up the wall into Col B
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Some time in the early '70s the morning at Horsham was changed to give five 40 min lessions before lunch. Morning PE had already gone and the houses had the improved changing rooms/loos.
Also each person only had to make their own bed.
As you moved up the school (to a senior house) things we a little less strict, you might get away with making your bed before breakfast..

Only marching into breakfast (no band except for the last day of term) and lunch (with either full band or the lesser brass & drums only).
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

'Also each person only had to make their own bed. '

My goodness, who else's bed did you have to make?!

At Hertford, if one had a 'crush' on someone, the most one did was to prepare their 'basket' (wicker basket, geometrically placed under the end of the bed, containing carefully folded dressing gown, nightdress as well as slippers etc. - and then at bedtime washing things from the locker).

With regard to the (yes, Monty Pythonesque!) references to the very regimented timeframes for bedtime, waking up, getting up, etc., two aspects appear to have been omitted so far :-

a) The practice of waking early, staying under the bedclothes but wriggling into your underwear so that as soon as the bell went, you could leap out of bed and be the first in the bathroom;

b) After lights out, reading by torch under the bedclothes - though (SADDO!) my recollection of this relates to my panic-stations revision for A Level when I was in 'Little Dorm' with only two others, at the top of the House, in my last year. Although at some stage I bet I read Lady Chatterley (in a brown paper cover), maybe by torchlight, under the bedclothes...

Wish I was young again, and had a CHOICE for breakfast!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

kerrensimmonds wrote:The practice of waking early, staying under the bedclothes but wriggling into your underwear so that as soon as the bell went, you could leap out of bed and be the first in the bathroom
wriggling into underclothes? bathroom! ?? My goodness! That's a bit namby pamby - 15 naked chaps rushing for the one cold bath in each lave-endis more like the Housie of our time.

In anycase, the Housey issue pants and vest were rather too large to be wriggled into - more like entered.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:I think we must have done trades etc after breakfast at Horsham, before 8.30 chapel,
I'm sure we had trades in the am at Horsham. I went on my LE - you were a senior.
Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:but the Hertford routine was still the same, with roll call in dayroom at 7.30 before duties
That must have depended on which house you were in as we didn't in 2's - or at least I don't remember having roll call :lol:
I was in 1s with Mrs Hitler don't forget. Rotas for use of each handbasin were in use to get us all clean by 7.30am, no smiling or looking like you were enjoying yourself. It was just as well to make friends with the silverfish in dayroom to break the stony silence of dusting before breakfast.
Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:1s had a cooked breakfast once a week on a Monday. All the other houses had it twice a week!!!! It still rankles now. (Can you tell?)
I think 8's had cooked the same day as you didn't they (or had it closed by your time). 2's had theirs on a Tuesday along with 7's.

Yes, 8s had shut by the time I started in 1983. I don't understand even now the missing breakfasts of my youth.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:
I'm sure we had trades in the am at Horsham. I went on my LE - you were a senior.
That's it then - I don't remember doing anything remotely helpful at Horsham :lol:
cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:
I was in 1s with Mrs Hitler don't forget. Rotas for use of each handbasin were in use to get us all clean by 7.30am, no smiling or looking like you were enjoying yourself. It was just as well to make friends with the silverfish in dayroom to break the stony silence of dusting before breakfast.
:lol: Rotas for the handbasin :shock: :shock: Well we definitely didn't do trades before breakfast in 2's. I think I've said elsewhere, my job was to clean the brass upstairs but as the senior in charge didn't give a toss I only ever did it a couple of times :lol: And certainly not BEFORE breakfast :shock:
cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:

Yes, 8s had shut by the time I started in 1983. I don't understand even now the missing breakfasts of my youth.
You poor deprived child :cry:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Gemma, what did you think of the school disco?

I used to hate them... I ended up wandering around and laughing at all the drunkards...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Drunkards at CH?? Surely not?? :wink:
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mrs C. wrote:Drunkards at CH?? Surely not?? :wink:
Amazing that concoctions we made only ended up in hangovers (and sometimes pretty bad at that) and not something considerably more final.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

I learned that its possible to open a Bacardi Breezer with a fork at a CH disco :D
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02