Help for Parents and future pupils?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:... nuthouse ?
( as the new Mums will swiftly discover, most OBs are a trifle deranged, and have a terrible sense of humour - read the "Jokes" thread....)

Welcome to you all - I am both an OB and a former CH-Mum, so I understand your situation !

(btw, why only Mums and no Dads???)

B.
They think if they get involved it will bring back (bad?) memories of their own schooldays.

And by the way JR it is called a forum, after you have posted it says in the window "click here to return to forum". this is the thread
If five people post, does it become a Fivum ?? :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

angel (and believe me, that's a word I've used for few people in my life), I have to disagree. The forum is the whole set-up here. The option you refer to is 'return to forum index'. A new forum would be a completely separate entity, at least as I understand it. Someone will be along soon to give us the proper terminology, but that doesn't change the fact that your idea was a good 'un.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:If five people post, does it become a Fivum ?? :oops:
OK, JR, let's get it over with here and now. Six people becomes...? :wink:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A Sixum ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

whatevah!

The forum index gives a list of all the forums (fora?)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Euterpe13 wrote:(btw, why only Mums and no Dads???)

B.
V. good question... we tend to talk more ? (steady!)
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

lonelymom wrote:
huggermugger wrote:Agree that Mrs C cannot carry the weight of all new parents on her shoulders. To be fair I don't think that was the suggestion, but rather a lighthearted reference to how much help she's been. Maybe she should be available on the NHS...
Thanks huggermugger, that's exactly what I meant. You obviously have a better way with words than I do (as it apparent from your postings compared to mine - lol).

I didn't mean to cause offence to anyone.
You're very welcome. I understood you! It's hard being a newbie, isn't it? Maybe we're getting a taste of what our kids are going through! :wink:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

huggermugger wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:(btw, why only Mums and no Dads???)

B.
V. good question... we tend to talk more ? (steady!)
recent (last couple of months) research has shown that we don't.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Sorry, been stupidly busy for the last few weeks and everything non-urgent seems to have suffered!

It's great to see some parents posting, and if the forum can fulfill another role in Old Blues supporting parents, and parents supporting other parents, then I'm all for it - we'll do whatever we can to help.

To answer a number of questions:-
1. It's easy to setup a new section, which could be called "Parents section"
2. Re. overheads, I don't see this being a big issue, although usage might increase a bit - but we could cross that bridge when we come to it. Viewing pages is the big cost, so lurkers do currently cost us - but it's not a big issue.
3. The CHA is specifically an Old Blues entity, with no remit for parents(either current or past) It is however an interesting source of information for parents, showing what Old Blues are up to, and what their children could get involved with post-CH - hence, I'd see it as being of interest, but unable to provide any specific services for parents.
4. Links from other websites are obviously at the discretion of those who own and manage each site - as I sort of own the CHA website via my position on the CHA Board, we proposed the list of links, of which the CH Forum was one, but with the "The CH Association is not responsible for the accuracy or content of external sites." comment on the links page.
To get a link on the main CH site, people would need to approach the relevent people at CH (?the School Office) with the suggestion.
5. Google currently indexes the Forum - and comes out 6th when searching for CH, with the site description as:-
Unofficial Christ's Hospital Forum
Welcome to the Christ's Hospital Forum - the unofficial forum for discussing everything CH/Old Blue related. All pupils, families, staff, Old Blues and ...
So in short, if there's enough interest I can easily create a new section, move this topic into it to start it off, and see where it goes from there?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Sounds good to me - thank you! :D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nice bodyswerve away from what is a forum and what each bit of it is called Julian :lol:
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Sounds good to me too, thank you.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

And me! :lol:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

englishangel wrote:Nice bodyswerve away from what is a forum and what each bit of it is called Julian :lol:
Yes, I was hoping to get away with it!

The headings are called "Sub-Categories" and each discussion section is actually called a "Forum". So we're talking about a new "Forum" really....
What we're therefore supposed to call the collection of Sub-Categories is therefore confusing.....but I think we'll let Forum be used for both!
I was thinking Fora might work??
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've now created the "Parents - Past, Present & Future" section, and moved this topic into it.
Any wording suggestions for a "Sticky" topic most welcome - maybe add suggestions to this topic??
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992