Warning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

kaaa
3rd Former

Warning

Post by kaaa »

what was with the sexual repression where you got called a "lesbo" in your squits if you dared expose your naked body without shouting "warning" first?! sheesh... how warped..... like an 11 year old even knew what a "lesbo" was.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I await Richard Ruck's comments with baited breath !

Me ????????????? I wouldn't dare !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kaaa
3rd Former

Post by kaaa »

bizarre, wasnt it?!

and you think the boys got it bad..... god, the ribbing the poor girls would get if they had their first period, or if they didnt get their period when everyone else had, or if an un-cool girl got hers before the cool girl did

seriously warped.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think the boys worst night-mare in upper school was acne.

Usually referred to as sh@g-spots, though each 'spot' was invisaged as a symbol of having indulged in an act of 'self-abuse'.

..... and some wag had the foresight to name one of the characters in 'Captain Pugwash', as Master Bates. And then to cap it all, there was Seaman Stanes.

Don't yer just luv it ?
kaaa
3rd Former

Post by kaaa »

ach, girls & acne were just called "pizza-face" :shock:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Warning

Post by Richard Ruck »

kara wrote:what was with the sexual repression where you got called a "lesbo" in your squits if you dared expose your naked body without shouting "warning" first?! sheesh... how warped..... like an 11 year old even knew what a "lesbo" was.
Plus ça change.....

In Barnes A, when I joined in 1972, any attempt to shower 'tackle out' after sports was greeted with shouts of "Queer!". People tried to shower properly while wearing bathing trunks......

Don't know about other houses - we really didn't ask about such things.

Likewise, when bathing in the lav-ends, a flannel had to be delicately floated over the rude bits.

All very ridiculous. We dispensed with this silly behaviour when we ascended to the lofty heights of the L.E.

And yes, physical development (or lack thereof) was the subject of constant and ribald comment.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Interestingly in Maine B, people used to shower naked in the showers without any problems.

A boy came down from Thorn B into our house and couldn't believe this - within a week it was if e had eaten the forbidden fruit and all had covered up!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Gripper
2nd Former

Post by Gripper »

We were very liberal in Leigh Hunt A. Showering wasn't just a necessity after sports it was a social activity, indulged at bizarre times often involving coffee, loud music and guests!
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

Same in Maine A... Ali Muir cleverly rigged up the entire changing rooms and loos for sound so we could all listen to his appalling punk and goth music whilst showering/changing or taking a sh1t..

:)
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember on hot summer mornings, we all had to line up in the junior dorm for a 30 second cold-bath each - strictly controlled by house monitors.

No place for modesty there !
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

kara wrote:bizarre, wasnt it?!

and you think the boys got it bad..... god, the ribbing the poor girls would get if they had their first period, or if they didnt get their period when everyone else had, or if an un-cool girl got hers before the cool girl did

seriously warped.
Well, it could be quite bad for boys...

I think that my introduction to the concept of irony was the way one poor bloke acquired the nickname 'Knobber'.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:I seem to remember on hot summer mornings, we all had to line up in the junior dorm for a 30 second cold-bath each - strictly controlled by house monitors.

No place for modesty there !
Not much to see, though, in a cold bath..... and the perfect cure for the horn in the morn. :lol:

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

yep, i remember having to use the open showers and have a comprehensive wash with bl**dy swimming trunks on.

it's strange that CH seems to do well as regards being racism-free (unless you're jewish or asian, so okay, maybe not)
but even in the liberal 21st century homophobia is still embarrassingly rife at CH. how does it manage to be so self-perpetuating? i'm sure the BNP would pay the foundation millions to spill the beans!

also strange how the most homophobic boys seemed to act the most queer, such as spanking your arse while you were in the lavends cleaning your teeth, or yanking back the shower curtain knowing full well somebody was in there (the bath curtain was worse as you actually had to get out to close it again). no names. master crocker.

i also remember how much fun the Leigh Hunt girls had peeking through the gaping holes in our frosted windows by the ground floor showers. god knows why, barely pubescent boys having freezing showers in a freezing changing room. presumably they brought binoculars. :lol:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Interesting that Hendrik - when I was in Maine B - (92-95) we showered in the open showers without swimming trunks - no one really cared...

As for homophobia - goodness knows what the problem was... there was a girl on my year that was very open about her sexuality - I remember people going "Your a lesbian haha" (or something equally puerile!) and she'd say 'yes - and?'. They soon shut up as they realised she didn't care...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A 'Shrink' friend of mine told me that homophobia is normally displayed by only those who cannot accept their true sexuality !

The more homophobic - The more closet Queen ??

(Thinks....... "'Smacked bottie's in the showers ???' :oops: Hmmmmm !!! Speaks volumes..... ")