OPEN DAY

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

OPEN DAY

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I took my 15 year old son (Louis) to CH Open Day yesterday.
It was very lovely.

I was most impressed, but having listened to the Director of Studies talking about the Tudor uniform and having watched the band parading around (splendidly I thought) and having watched the whole school march into lunch...and last but not least...having discovered that there was no Computer Science A level:Louis said

" It's a bit too old fashioned for me Mum,lets go! "

So we did.

I enjoyed it....thanks to everyone involved.

I must confess that I feel a slight relief that the possibility of him leaving home at 16 has passed ;and it was nice to see the Sussex countryside in all it's early autumn glory on such a beautiful day.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

On the subject of the uniform... they do a fantastic PR job on it as my DS's reaction was much the same at first - "I'm not wearing THAT!". However, by the time we were on our journey to school on the first day he was saying "I can't wait to get my uniform". They refer to it as "the much cherished Housey" and, against all the odds, that's what it is. Mind you, I'm not saying they keep it clean or anything...

As for the countryside - CH's glorious surroundings were one of the main reasons we (DS & I) fell in love with the place. The view from his room is one of fields & cows, which he really appreciates. And I appreciate the fact that he is in an unpolluted atmosphere a fair way from the temptations of shops & street corners! :wink:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

huggermugger wrote: And I appreciate the fact that he is in an unpolluted atmosphere a fair way from the temptations of shops & street corners! :wink:
Ditto.

Also, having witnessed the teenagers from the local schools, with their skirts hitched up so high they barely cover their bums, cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and a language I don't even recognise sometimes (not that I'm a prude but there appears to be a whole new 'slang' that it completely alien to me!), I am extremely happy to have my daughter at CH. The uniform may be traditional, the skirt may be long, but I much prefer it that way! :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: OPEN DAY

Post by sejintenej »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I took my 15 year old son (Louis) to CH Open Day yesterday.
It was very lovely.

I was most impressed, but having listened to the Director of Studies talking about the Tudor uniform and having watched the band parading around (splendidly I thought) and having watched the whole school march into lunch...and last but not least...having discovered that there was no Computer Science A level:Louis said

" It's a bit too old fashioned for me Mum,lets go! "

So we did.

I enjoyed it....thanks to everyone involved.

I must confess that I feel a slight relief that the possibility of him leaving home at 16 has passed ;and it was nice to see the Sussex countryside in all it's early autumn glory on such a beautiful day.
­­´´­­´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´Old fashioned it ain't

Sorry to read that Alexandra. The uniform might be old fashioned but it is "different" - not like the uninspired all-the-same garb that you see wandering around the streets of our major conurbations these days - but you get used to it within hours - not even days!.
I must make one exception to that - there is a girl's school in Bishops Stortford whose pupils wear well cut plaid coloured ankle length skirts - they really look smart and well dressed.

The facilities are far from old-fashioned - I suspect that they are "ahead of the game" in many respects, though of course I cannot speak for individual courses.

Did you remind him that it was CH pupils who were chosen to travel to San Francisco to open the Rose Bowl - perhaps the USA's equivalent of our FA Cup final? Did you remind him that it was CH pupils who were chosen to entertain at Twickenham before an international recently? And who was it who did the lead in on national TV for Motorhead at Hammersmith last year but our own Euresto and gang from CH. (Given his international reputation, what other school would have even considered let alone dared to import that American as a teacher using an untested teaching method and concept even if only for a few weeks? We have heard from third parties of the effects of that experience on the participants - very positive indeed, but would your local comp try it? - No way)
These are just a few recent and high profile events but there are hundreds of others which are so routine inside CH that they are not commented upon - events which are outside the radar of most ordinary school kids.

Louis is not going to get those sort of opportunities at the local Comp! As for you; yes, it would have been hard but what would you really like to happen? (Don't answer that question.) We have a couple of mothers of pupils on this thread who are going through what you feared; they are better able to advise you - my kids left home years ago - so my memories are faded.

For any parent - if your child has the remotest chance of getting in, GRAB IT, GRAB IT and hang on to that chance.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I agree- in spite of all the things I have said about the school I am glad that I had that chance.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:I agree- in spite of all the things I have said about the school I am glad that I had that chance.
Same here !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Different -

Post by Angela Woodford »

I don't know.

It's such an individual thing, and if Louis feels that CH is not the place for him, and Alex is attuned to the reasons he expresses by saying "old-fashioned" I think mother and son may have made the right decision for them.

I've often thought what might have become of me if I hadn't gone to CH. That enclosed education in no way fitted me for employment in the outside world, although the more clever, academic and original of us seem to have found suitable fulfilling careers.

But I don't have special abilities. CH, although I picked up a basic education in some ways, made me too "different" to fit in with the rest of the world. I can't say how many times I've been told I'm mad, or peculiar or eccentric. I really admire those girls who have gone out from CH for brilliant promising or just conformist futures, but I've never been able to shake off being "different".

In particular, the lack of encouragement by DR and the persistent system of intimidation by senior girls wrecked the healthy self-confidence I felt on admission. Still, these days, a nice compliment or a bit of positive stroking has me really excited!

However, I accept everything that's happened in the past. It's just the way CH turned me out to be. But if Alex and Louis feel that the CH life is not for them, OK! Louis is a very clever boy! Love to you both, Alex.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

As has been said elsewhere every child is an individual and what benefits one may not benefit another.

My guess would be that Alex, having experienced a boarding education herself, is as well placed as anybody could be to evaluate the pros and cons for her own child.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Thanks everyone for your replies

...and especially Munch and Mid A 15 for not missing the point... which was really to say thanks for the kind effort made by all and simply to express
the view of one 15 year old.

Having felt that my own identity and individuality was not always respected
while I was growing up I do try to allow my son his own. Although at 15 he has much to learn about himself and a sometimes unforgiving world ,I accept his evaluation of the suitability of the school for his own development.

I was at CH Hertford myself for seven years and am very familiar with the uniform,which in those days was worn only by the boys. The description "old-fashioned" was Louis' and not my own and I respect his right make up his own mind and to voice his opinion.

I felt that his rather simplistic comment covered all kinds of other insecurities he may have felt and rather than seem to distrust his adamant opinion by probing beneath the surface I felt it was more empowering to him to accept it.

Louis has attended an extremely "bog-standard" comprehensive( failed OFSTED and just out of "special measures") since the age of 11. Despite this he has managed to pass 3 GCSEs a year early and hopefully will succeed with the others he takes next year. Until the last couple of years,being well behaved and perceived to be "geeky", he was dreadfully bullied and ostracised; then he grew quite tall and started to excel in computer studies and English ( a "late developer" ). He is now proud to be a Prefect and outside of school about to achieve his "Black Belt" in Karate as well as doing his Duke of Edinburgh award.

Many of his erstwhile tormentors at school were of the "Hoodie" ilk and he has announced that he will never vote for Mr "hugahoodie" Cameron :D

I remember that when I was at CH, like Munch, I too felt "different" from others of the same age ...but the truth is, in many ways, I wasn't at all.

My son seems to have survived his secondary school (bated breath) despite all its disadvantages and I hope he will eventually enter the adult world with a realistic and shrewd attitude towards his fellow human beings.

I was rather naive at that stage in my life and ill prepared for the real world.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Thanks everyone for your replies

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Well said Alex.

Louis is a lucky boy to have such a mother.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS: recently found my autograph book, while hunting (unsuccessfully) for more photos. May I have your permission to scan and post your contribution, which is remarkably apt at this point in time, although nothing whatever to do with this thread. Would you like to see if before dis/approving?

xx
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Thanks Caroline,

I am intrigued to know what I wrote in your autograph book ! You are welcome to openly post it here as long as I didn't say anything too embarrassing :? I trust your judgement.

One of my abiding memories of you is your essential reliability. Really. xx