Warning

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

East Gun Copse
2nd Former

Post by East Gun Copse »

J.R. wrote:I seem to remember on hot summer mornings, we all had to line up in the junior dorm for a 30 second cold-bath each - strictly controlled by house monitors.

No place for modesty there !
What's this about cold baths on hot summer mornings. We had to queue up for them every morning except Sunday. I think starting the morning this way meant that you had lost all self consciousness about your anatomy. The monitors who were having a lie-in would check the towels to see if any were still dry indicating the owner had not had the statutory dip. As you can imagine there were ways to circumvent this check but in those days it was considered 'cool' to have a cold bath.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm pretty sure it was only in the hot summer season.

Wouldn't mind it one bit if it was re-introduced now, especially in MY old house !

I'd check the towels for dampness, any day !

(Taxi for J.R. !!!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:I'm pretty sure it was only in the hot summer season.

Wouldn't mind it one bit if it was re-introduced now, especially in MY old house !

I'd check the towels for dampness, any day !

(Taxi for J.R. !!!)
I think you've missed your calling, J.R.!

Here's a nice equal-opportunities scenario for you :

When we were boys, our matrons were always ladies 'of a certain age', so perhaps there is now a need for matrons in the girls houses to be gentlemen 'of a certain age'.....

Brush up your sewing, and the job's yours!!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
gneuss
2nd Former

What about the 'trough'

Post by gneuss »

Lots of talk about showers but in my first few years I seem to remember we had a 'trough' which would take about six people (usually all covered in mud) all scrunched up in a long line. No swimming costumes then. I do remember Chris Miller taking a photograph to aid the publicity to raise the funds for the showers and changing rooms that eventually replaced it. At least he said that was why he was taking it.........

Geoff Neuss Barnes B 1959-66
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: What about the 'trough'

Post by J.R. »

gneuss wrote:Lots of talk about showers but in my first few years I seem to remember we had a 'trough' which would take about six people (usually all covered in mud) all scrunched up in a long line. No swimming costumes then. I do remember Chris Miller taking a photograph to aid the publicity to raise the funds for the showers and changing rooms that eventually replaced it. At least he said that was why he was taking it.........

Geoff Neuss Barnes B 1959-66
Arrr, the old 'horse-trough' ! More memories flooding back. The good old days, (NOT) !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

those days aren't that old. when i left olney rugby club in the nineties they still had troughs. swimming around in other peoples dirt, mmmm.....