FORUM UPGRADE - now completed!

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: FORUM UPGRADE - now completed!

Post by J.R. »

I purposely didn't post when our illustrious leader decided to press forward with the upgrade.

Being a member of a large (VERY), footy non-league web-site that has also recently upgraded, I knew that it takes time to adjust to change.

I think I've just about got used to the 'new-look' !

Nice one J.T.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Getting used to it - the new look is starting to seem to be 'normal' but I still have to hold on to my right hand from sliding the mouse to the right side to click on 'View new posts' - reminds me of Peter Sellers in the film Dr Strangelove.
Thanks Julian and Best Wishes to All
John
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Julian

is it possible:

a) to increase the contrast like post normal text in bold and bold text even darker?
b) to do something about the page numbers in a topic - either have the boxes larger (so that I can get the pointer on them easier) OR to reinstate the "Next" and "Previous" texts which are larger targets?

c) there seems to be a server problem in that posts are taking a (timed) over one minute to get to the server

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Not sure about darkening the text - might be possible, but could look a bit too "in your face". What do others think?

Re. the Server time - was that a temporary thing, as I don't see an issue at the moment?
Re. Next/Previous or bigger boxes, I'll see how easy that would be to change.....I agree, they are a bit small...
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

How's that?? Too big, or just right??
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

post deleted; it was the following post but omitted the last line(s)
Goodness knows what is going on
Last edited by sejintenej on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jtaylor wrote:Not sure about darkening the text - might be possible, but could look a bit too "in your face". What do others think?

Re. the Server time - was that a temporary thing, as I don't see an issue at the moment?
I've only posted twice or so today and it was the same each time; also slow moving from one page to another (say between pages of a thread and also between different threads) even now. That said when I previewed this post it came up almost instantaneously
jtaylor wrote:Re. Next/Previous or bigger boxes, I'll see how easy that would be to change.....I agree, they are a bit small...
New ones look good - thanks.

Have emailed you about pm addresses not working

subsequent addition - this would not "submit" in reasonable time!!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Anyone else seeing speed issues?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Nope.

But all I want for Christmas is the option to return to the main index at the bottom of the page as well as the top.

Please, Santa?
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

And while I'm having a little whinge, I keep clicking on a topic to find I'm on page 1 of 12234598999147834. Was it different before, or am I having even more senior moments than ever? Is it possible to click on a topic and be sent to the latest page (which is surely more logical)?

Sorry to be a nuisance, jt, I like the new layout, I appreciate all the work you've done, and these problems aren't keeping me awake at night, but if they're easily remedied I'd be a happy man.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I am now used to although one thing-where has the who is online and upcoming birthdays gone?
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Amy, you can still see who is online at the bottom but I can't find the 'birthdays' feature.

Philip, you can return to 'Board Index' at the bottom too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Not sure about the speed issues but there are one or two quirks, which might or might not be related to the fact that I use Firefox.

I have searched for things and the full search does not appear. For instance, trying to find the thread on the Carol Concert, I searched on Carol Concert but only got a passing reference in someone's posting, not the thread itself.

Having logged in to look at new posts, I then decided to post on this topic and was asked to log in again.

I tested both of the above to make sure it wasn't just me but got the same reaction both times.

General comment is that upcoming birthdays are not shown, so we can only congratulate on the day itself.

Other than that it just looks more modern, rather like upgrading from Hotmail to Live, but with no noticeable benefit, although I am sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Ajarn Philip wrote:And while I'm having a little whinge, I keep clicking on a topic to find I'm on page 1 of 12234598999147834. Was it different before, or am I having even more senior moments than ever? Is it possible to click on a topic and be sent to the latest page (which is surely more logical)?
Sorry to be a nuisance, jt, I like the new layout, I appreciate all the work you've done, and these problems aren't keeping me awake at night, but if they're easily remedied I'd be a happy man.
If you clicked on the topic title before, you'd have also started a page 1. BUT, there was the option to click on the latest post....
and it's still there.
See the little mini-page icon with an arrow, next to John's name in the image below?
Click on that next to each post, and you'll jump straight to the latest post - voila!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I love the snowflakes!!

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.