FORUM UPGRADE - now completed!

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: FORUM UPGRADE - now completed!

Post by jtaylor »

Thanks Jeremy for the kind comments.

Snowflakes also now gone - they were fun while they lasted!

David - I'm not sure what to suggest. You don't mention which version if IE (Internet Explorer) you are running.
Also, might be worth running a rather nice CleanUp utility which I've relied on for ages - does get rid of more than the standard built-in windows one does.
Download the following file and run it:-
http://stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp40.exe

The only other thing I can think of is that your internet connection may be stuggling for some reason - either generally slow (is it OK for other websites?) or periodically slow? It might be that the new forum software is more bandwidth-intensive, and hence why you're seeing the issues.
If you open a command window (Start --> Run) and type in ping bbc.co.uk /t - leave it running for a few minutes, and check the "time=" bit - is this consistent, changing randomly, or what?? And what values do you get roughly?

Also worth trying the http://www.five.tv/gadget website for a broadband speed test.
http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/speed_test.htm
What do you get from that, and if you run it a few times, is it consistent?

Sorry you're experiencing problems - other don't appear to be (or haven't said anything!) but that doesn't mean I'm not keen to sort it for you......

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

jtaylor wrote: Also, might be worth running a rather nice CleanUp utility which I've relied on for ages - does get rid of more than the standard built-in windows one does.
Thanks for the link to the CleanUp Utility Julian...
It does a good job on Vista, if a little disconcerting when it deletes 5,070 files... :shock:

Looks like it could be a good program for David as you suggest. Also perhaps he could give Firefox a try. (I don't use Internet Explorer at all after using Firefox for a couple of years).

All the Best for 2008. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
John.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jtaylor wrote:Thanks Jeremy for the kind comments.

David - I'm not sure what to suggest. You don't mention which version if IE (Internet Explorer) you are running.
Thanks Julian
I have IE 6.0 but never use it because I suspect most viruses etc are designed for Microsoft products; I always use Firefox 2.0.0.11 instead (that seems to be the latest update).
That said, IE seems to use fewer resources than Firefox so, because of the problems, I did try it to see if it would run the Forum better; it didn't.
jtaylor wrote:Also, might be worth running a rather nice CleanUp utility which I've relied on for ages - does get rid of more than the standard built-in windows one does.
Used "Tuneup Utilities 2008" which helped with some other programs a bit. Will download and try this.
jtaylor wrote:The only other thing I can think of is that your internet connection may be stuggling for some reason - either generally slow (is it OK for other websites?) or periodically slow? It might be that the new forum software is more bandwidth-intensive, and hence why you're seeing the issues.
If you open a command window (Start --> Run) and type in ping bbc.co.uk /t - leave it running for a few minutes, and check the "time=" bit - is this consistent, changing randomly, or what?? And what values do you get roughly?

Also worth trying the http://www.five.tv/gadget website for a broadband speed test.
http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/speed_test.htm
What do you get from that, and if you run it a few times, is it consistent?
My son, who is the IT whizkid has already done those tests and had (to him) satisfactory results; I have to suspect that it is this PC.

Regarding other sites most are almost instantaneous. Netscape Mail = AOL (which my wife still used :twisted: until I forced her off it last week) has always been sloth-like. My own "free.fr" mail facility was a bit slowish but the recent clean-up has brought that site up to reasonable speed comparable with Yahoo etc. Google search is lightning fast. A French forum I follow which seems to use your old software is intermittently slower but it has far far more throughput so server overload could be a problem there.

So; we are waiting to receive more RAM, I'll try your suggested cleanup facility and see where we go from there.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I'm finding my way around ok and have managed to send and receive PMs.

The only point I would make concerns real names being on display. Under the old system you could hide your real name on the general forum but logged in members could go to the profile and see it.

It could well be my ineptitude but I cannot see how to hide my real name.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

sejintenej wrote:
My son, who is the IT whizkid has already done those tests and had (to him) satisfactory results; I have to suspect that it is this PC.

Regarding other sites most are almost instantaneous. Netscape Mail = AOL (which my wife still used :twisted: until I forced her off it last week) has always been sloth-like. My own "free.fr" mail facility was a bit slowish but the recent clean-up has brought that site up to reasonable speed comparable with Yahoo etc. Google search is lightning fast. A French forum I follow which seems to use your old software is intermittently slower but it has far far more throughput so server overload could be a problem there.

So; we are waiting to receive more RAM, I'll try your suggested cleanup facility and see where we go from there.
Just put in 256K of 100 hertz memory so testing to see the result; loading was slightly faster, preview is considerably better but it is in posting where there is a problem. After that we can have a look at PMs

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mid A 15 wrote:It could well be my ineptitude but I cannot see how to hide my real name.
I just deleted my real name form my profile and then my posts did not have the real name section. (I have now put it back) I agree that this is not totally satisfactory, as I assume you are happy for other Forum members to know your name if they look on your profile, but just don't want Joe Public to see it.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've found the way to hide the real name - but at the moment struggling to then show it in the profile...
Will keep looking though.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:It could well be my ineptitude but I cannot see how to hide my real name.
I just deleted my real name form my profile and then my posts did not have the real name section. (I have now put it back) I agree that this is not totally satisfactory, as I assume you are happy for other Forum members to know your name if they look on your profile, but just don't want Joe Public to see it.
Correct!
jtaylor wrote:I've found the way to hide the real name - but at the moment struggling to then show it in the profile...

J
Thanks Julian!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have twice inadvertently double posted and have been unable to delete one of the posts. There used to be a delete button for the poster - any chance of getting it back?

Strangely I posted this just now here, and when I saw the message there was a little cross there so I deleted and went back to Hertford Question to try to delete but the cross wasn't there!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Bother, bother, I am struggling a bit. My pms are 100% full and I can't work out how to delete them! I'm missing seeing whose birthday is due in a week - or is there a way of seing this? A few other bits rather too high tech for me, but I shall maybe grasp them as I go along...

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Katharine wrote:I have twice inadvertently double posted and have been unable to delete one of the posts. There used to be a delete button for the poster - any chance of getting it back?
Strangely I posted this just now here, and when I saw the message there was a little cross there so I deleted and went back to Hertford Question to try to delete but the cross wasn't there!
It looks like the little "x" is only there on the LATEST post on a topic - i.e. once someone else has posted after you, you can't delete your post. ThIs is fairly logical, as deleting a post can confuse the flow of the topic.
You CAN though EDIT older posts
- so you could reword it or effectively delete it by rewording to "deleted".
Moderators can delete the post, so if one of us spots a post reworded to "please delete - duplicate post" or similar, we can delete it....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Angela Woodford wrote: I'm missing seeing whose birthday is due in a week - or is there a way of seing this? A few other bits rather too high tech for me, but I shall maybe grasp them as I go along...
Can't find a mod for this yet - when I do, I'll get it installed.
Angela Woodford wrote:Bother, bother, I am struggling a bit. My pms are 100% full and I can't work out how to delete them!
If you view your list of PMs, once logged in:-
ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox
you should see tick boxes on the right next to each. Tick the ones you wish to delete. The scroll to the bottom of the page, and choose "Delete Marked" and then click "Go". This will delete the marked items. (see attachment below)
Attachments
Deleting PMs
Deleting PMs
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh..yes... now I see.

What a splendid job you have done jt, now I am getting the hang of it a bit better! As Josh might say -

"Ecce, magnum opus!"

I hope that's right!

Angela
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

jtaylor wrote:I've found the way to hide the real name - but at the moment struggling to then show it in the profile...

J
I've now found a decent way of removing the Real Name from the topic screens, whilst retaining it as visible in the profiles screens.

So if you want to see a real name, just login and then click on a user's username...

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jtaylor wrote:

J
I've now found a decent way of removing the Real Name from the topic screens, whilst retaining it as visible in the profiles screens.

So if you want to see a real name, just login and then click on a user's username...

J
Thanks for sorting that out Julian.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72