Becomming a New Dep

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

JohnAsh
3rd Former

Re: Becomming a New Dep

Post by JohnAsh »

Well, I'm not excellent. I'm so going to fail PE, Maths and Art...:(

Yay for getting out of sport!

Classics at Oxford? Wow. That would be so awesome. My ambition is to do composition at RCM.
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

That sounds like a good ambition. My current ambition is getting my buttons, which I am a quarter of the way to getting. Woohoo. Isn't composition really really hard?. Good luck.

Sport is actualy quite enjoyable at CH, I was scared and daunted by the amount that I thought that I would have had to do but it turned out that sport is much lass rigorous than you would expect is you are non-squad. to be honest I quite like it to the extent that I go swimming nearly every night ( read = sit in the sauna ) or go to the gym, do runs at 6.45, cycle touring. house leagues, STEEPLECHASE!.

Note to Josh: Check your webmail, I have an email for you from catherine about airline regulations. OMG POMPEIIIIIIIIIIII!
Deputy Grecian 07-09 Col B 31
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

gemmygemmerson wrote:Well, my ambition is to do Classics at Oxford :)
Go for it, Gemma. I had a great time at Oxford and thoroughly enjoyed myself. One of my best friends at school did Greats at Somerville, I was at LMH. The red brick buildings at LMH were reminiscent of Hertford (and Horsham). Of course we only had a choice of five colleges unlike you!

Have you done Greek? Did I read somewhere that there is a degree for those starting Greek at Oxford?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

I'm really jealous, I really really really want ot do Classics at Oxford since the course is just so amazing. I looked at it and its blows me away.
I have actualy started learning Greek, there is a class on Friday afternoons after double Latin with TSG which I go to and I really want to get good enough to be bale to show my dedication.

I think there is something about Blues wanting to go to universities which remind them of CH. Quite a few people are looking at Unis purely ont he basis of 'does it have cloisters'
JohnAsh
3rd Former

Post by JohnAsh »

I'm planning on applying to a tonne of universitys/academys. I might apply to Oxbridge, but I've got my heart set on London. My current list is Juilliard, RCM, RAM, Guildhall and Trinity, but I'm thinking of trying for Curtis just for fun.

I'm sure that you'll get onto the course, Gemma. You seem incredibly intelligent.

Usually I find myself giggling at the questions that are asked in Oxbridge interviews. I think one that I heard on Have I Got News was "What percentage of the world's water is contained in a cow?" Paul Merton's answer was very good - "Milked or unmilked?"
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

Yeah, silly questions really get my goat. In my interview for CH I was asked 'how is a dragon more real than a bus?'

I mean WTF!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Can't remember any of my interview questions, but I can remember one of the essays "The first man on the moon, can he do wrong?"
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

woah, has everyone planned what they want to do AFTER CH already?
i just want to get there first!
:P
be excellent to one another!
JohnAsh
3rd Former

Post by JohnAsh »

Alan P5age wrote:
JohnAsh wrote:I'm planning on applying to a tonne of universitys/academys. I might apply to Oxbridge, but I've got my heart set on London. My current list is Juilliard, RCM, RAM, Guildhall and Trinity, but I'm thinking of trying for Curtis just for fun.

I'm sure that you'll get onto the course, Gemma. You seem incredibly intelligent.

Usually I find myself giggling at the questions that are asked in Oxbridge interviews. I think one that I heard on Have I Got News was "What percentage of the world's water is contained in a cow?" Paul Merton's answer was very good - "Milked or unmilked?"
Mmm Juilliard. About ten years ago whilst I was a student at the Birmingham Conservatoire I met somebody who auditioned there. Something like £2,000 for a five minute audition.
Birmingham's then £24 seemed quite reasonable by comparison!!
In my prospectus it's £50 or so, if I remember correctly. But that's just for composition - performance is much higher, me thinks. What did your friend audition on?

Apparently it's uber competitive. I've heard of people putting shards of glass between piano keys...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

JohnAsh wrote:. I think one that I heard on Have I Got News was "What percentage of the world's water is contained in a cow?" Paul Merton's answer was very good - "Milked or unmilked?"
Could you have answered as quickly and effectively as Paul Merton. Surely the idea of this and the other cited questions (dragons v CH for example) is to see how quickly and outside the box you can think under pressure. The questions are not something you can consciously swot at per se - all you can do is to get a mate to throw inane questions at you and simply practice coming back with responses. One principle you could consider is to answer a question with another question - as Paul Merton did. It can really throw the other party.

If you read the history of Nautilus' first sub-polar voyage (Nautilus 90N) the skipper was thrown such a question to which he clammed up. The next day he sent his answer and got the job. The question there was along the lines of "name the last 5 books you read".
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

My my, there's a lot of material to catch up on! Here goes...

Hello, JohnAsh - welcome to CH and the Forum! You're luckier than most people, unless I'm mistaken Gemma was the first new dep to post on here, and she was the only one to do so on our year, so you at least have some new deps to know already. Is that a paraphrasing of The Verse of The Rings I see in your signature? Pray that it's not, lest I dub you tolkienite and start bombarding you with trivia!!!!!!!!

Gemma, who's being a vagabond on your bike, cos it certainly ain't me - the thing terrifies me! How is one meant to do a moving dismount with a bar between your knees? In fact, I've not even been a vagabond on MY bike! Oh, by the way: I couldn't get the valve caps off your bike-corpse so I'll take some pliers to them on Sunday - larger moment and all that... Oh, and your 'sob' - I've been like that since...oh, beginning of GE? At least you can go and lead a coup on The Department.

Idgie: Oh yes, that NY trip! Yeah, I'm dossing that - partly because I'm dropping BS at the end of this year.

Gemma: I will NOT keep out of this! It is my idea, yes, but Idgie (according to My Wall) has agreed to help me! And I don't want to stay ginger - I get comments about it!

John: You're looking more like a tolkienist every second. More than that, you're a Bombadil Fan!!! Have you heard the Tolkien Ensemble's rendition of it? I'll have to send it to you!

Gemma: You didn't hate Tom Bombadil's Song when you videoed it in Warhammer Club... But NDIW is a good excuse to miss stuff. But only if you are a new dep - which I wasn't. No, I had Mr. Phillips as my excuse for when I got caught on Back Asphalt at 10 past 11 on a saturday evening!!

Idgie: Brown hair's the way to go. Trust me.

Gemma: Maths. Yes - why ANYONE would want to do that abomination (that said, I do have one of my own) after GCSE I don't know.

Idgie: I so agree - I want to study CICERO!!!! and Molon of Rhodes and all that. But at least I get to learn Hebrew & Greek at university!

Idgie: Well, you say that, but a New Dep on my year has sworn during lessons before - CFR's grammar lesson wasn't it, Gemma? :wink: But other than that, you ought to be fine. Shouldn't be a problem.

Gemma: Actually, you were fine in NDIW - it was the first Lat Lesson of Michaelmas IIRC. The whole class turned around! Oh, and regarding latin swearing: borrow X-Treme Latin. This being a family-friendly site, I'll Wall you some words.

John: No, you're lucky! GE is the last time you have to do rugby. That's a lie: if you're any good they'll pick your for the termly torture session that is Block Comps.

Gemma: I've never once heard that word come from your lips. Mostly it's "oi".

John and everyone else talking about ambitions: I've seen a lovely little bible college in the peak district - it's like a mini ch! and they do a BA in theology, ministry and pastoral studies. *does the funny thing with his hand where his fingers flap together*

Gemma: I got the email thanks - but very few of us actually know about the webmail!!

Gemma (on page 20): Cliff has cloisters, and the prospectus has this line in: "most of the students stay in one of the 70 study bedrooms" - Grecians University!!!! Oh, and dragons are real. Look at...actually, that's not politically correct enough for here, so I'll wall it to you.

Ok, that's me caught up now!! More news on LS is on the group and I'm uploading reams of old photos i found recently...so enjoy!!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Two points...

someone said that CH didn't do the type of history they wanted. I had a choice of Medieval, Early Modern or Late Modern so went for Medieval becuase that rocks... what type of History did you want?

And Warhammer Club? Really? I mean... really???
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Duh, classical! Sulla and Marius! My Hero Cicero! Verres! The First Triumvirate! The Lex Gabinia!

Yes, Matt, Gemma really did come |this| close to joining the WC, probably as Club Photographer and Numenor-Player.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

Great Plum wrote:Two points...

someone said that CH didn't do the type of history they wanted. I had a choice of Medieval, Early Modern or Late Modern so went for Medieval becuase that rocks... what type of History did you want?

And Warhammer Club? Really? I mean... really???

Seriously, don't knock Warhammer!
personally, i don't understand the whole game concept, but from an artistic point of view, painting tiny metal figurines in ONE way to while away the hours!

anyway, it was me that didn't like the history choices
and josh is right it was classics i wanted to do
(if i were to go to varndean - my other college choice, situated in brighton - i would have taken classics, combined with Latin GCSE)
i find the whole era much more interesting than any of the other options - have done ever since my third birthday when my mum bought me loads of books on greek mythology :mrgreen:
be excellent to one another!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:
Great Plum wrote: i find the whole era much more interesting than any of the other options - have done ever since my third birthday when my mum bought me loads of books on greek mythology :mrgreen:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: really 3rd birthday
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/