a suggestion or two

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

a suggestion or two

Post by Ajarn Philip »

May I suggest...:

1. A clearly advertised 'suggestions' forum - if there is one, I've spent so long looking for it and been sidetracked onto other old threads so often that I've forgotten what I wanted to suggest in the first place... (seriously - I'm hoping it'll come back to me before I get to the end of point 2...)

2. An 'introductions' forum/topic/whatever, where new members can simply 'reply' to the previous posting and say hello to all and sundry, without having to start a thread of their own, which can be a bit intimidating.

3. ... Nope... I've given it a few minutes, and it's not coming back to me. Maybe it was just point 2...? :oops:

Anyway, if I ever remember what I wanted to say, I'll post it in the soon-to be-highlighted 'suggestions' forum.

Somebody will undoubtedly now point me to the easily located suggestions forum.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: a suggestion or two

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Okay, another few minutes of exhausting thought has brought me to the conclusion that it is more than feasible that 'feedback' could equal 'suggestions', the fact that I farted around for some time is nobody's fault but my own... but I still think that point 2 is worth considering.

And I still can't remember what point 3 was...
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I remember! I remember! Quick, before I forget again...

3. I use Maxthon as a browser, which allows me to have several pages/sites/etc. open at the same time. On the only other forum I contribute to a new page automatically opens if I click on a link in a post, but with the UCHF that never happens and I have to use the back arrow and then find the post again and reconnect to the link if I want to. Erm, is that clear...? Anyway, it's not a major issue, but I'm curious as to why I can do it on one and not on the other.

Keep it simple, please, as I'm barely literate in computer terms.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Don't know if it works in Maxthon (never heard of it I'm afraid), but in IE, if you shift click on a link it will open in a new window, or alternatively you can right click and then select "Open in new window" from the little pop up menu that appears. I agree that otherwise it's a bit irritating to follow a link and then have to navigate back again.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

ok I will try to keep it simple - ie (Internet explorer) allows you to ADD as many web sites as you like to your opening ie page. (Mine opens on the BBC, then has a variety of "tabs" to allow me to go straight to the forum of my desire....

How to do it?

Open up Internet Explorer
Go to TOOLS
select the internet options at the bottom of the drop down tool bar
after the 1st option of where your IE goes to press the return/enter key (carriage return whatever!)
add www.chforum.info/php/index.php/

click on appy and ok close your internet explorer page and then click on it's icon again and you should get the forum come up on a tab.

Hope that works ok for you!

Jude
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

If you're talking about tabs, that sounds like IE7. I don't know if Maxthon is a tab-based browser. I tried IE7, but even though I quite liked it, I went back to IE6 because you can't customise the toolbars anywhere near as much in 7, and I like mine pretty customised!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I customise my AOL Toolbar so I rarely need to go to IE 7 - I am on Vista on my laptop and XP on my big box, so switching between the 2 does my head in.. but customising toolbars is easy - even on Version 7!!

Have a good day!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I think that it's an accessibility thing - the latest version opens in the same window, as opening in a new window is frowned upon.
Lou (Frogbox) is far more knowledgable than I on this - I think it changed in this version of phpBB (the software that the forum is based upon), to ensure it abides by www.w3.org

Oh, and I've added a Smiley by request:- :wine:

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I use Firefox (Mozilla) which is I think pretty similar to IE but, in older versions of IE, far less likely to be attacked by viruses (I still use every other protection and get an - unsuccessful - attack about twice a year)

On your browser (nothing to do with the operating systems such as Windows Vista, XP etc) you have windows** and are allowed a large number open at one time. By judicious sizing## you could get say 4 open on screen at the same time (ie legible, usable) but that is unnecessary. Your windows are listed along the bottom of the screen; versions vary - some have about 8 listed side by side but go over that limit either they concertinna and you gave to click on the item to get a list OR you get an arrow which opens the next set of eight or so.

** a confusing name - think of them as different pages
## if you don't know how to make a window smaller then ask.

Within each window you can have "tabs" which are also separate windows but are listed across the top under your normal icons (including Google if you use its toolbar). Again you click the tab name to open it. I have not found a way of having two tabs open at the same time on the same window. Of course copy and paste is available.

Why use it?

You can be working on say 6 different subjects at the same time and within each subject use tabs to have different windows available.

How to use it?

1. Left click File (top left) to allow you to open a new window or (your choice) new tab in the existing window.

2. On any link RIGHT click to get the choice of opening the link in a new window or in a new tab. Easy.

Currently I have my several email adddresses open in one window, the CHForum list of new posts in a second window and this as a tab in the same window. I could have had JR's jokes from last night in the same window but it is in fact in a third. A UK daily paper is in a fourth window and the fifth has "investegate" (sic) and other business pages in several tabs.

Using them is just one way of keeping your links neat and tidy. My guess is that IE is not much different

HTH
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I have now totally forgotten the suggestion or two - after reading all that - I just keep one page open and minimised and the write post and close that pane - after all there is no real reason for having more than one to keep you logged in and one that you are replying to open.....

OK - I am ready for the men in white suits now....
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote: OK - I am ready for the men in white suits now....
I've got the white coat (well , it is slightly off white) and I'm sure I have cricket whites somewhere but I'm sure you don't need my ministrations :D :D :D

As for the computer - use what you need, forget the rest. I used to teach Word (the Microsoft wordprocessing program); our secretaries might have over the years and between them have used 10% of its capabilities and I reckon I knew a further 15% to 20%. That is 70% to 75% of the program's functionality nobody ever needed to know!

It's the same with Windows.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

sejintenej wrote:
I've got the white coat (well , it is slightly off white) and I'm sure I have cricket whites somewhere but I'm sure you don't need my ministrations :D :D :D

As for the computer - use what you need, forget the rest. I used to teach Word (the Microsoft wordprocessing program); our secretaries might have over the years and between them have used 10% of its capabilities and I reckon I knew a further 15% to 20%. That is 70% to 75% of the program's functionality nobody ever needed to know!

It's the same with Windows.
Then I definately need some TLC from the Nuts team! I teach computing to U3A (Some of you may know of this massive group being of or above the admissable age) it's the University of the 3rd Age (you have to be 50 to join) I teach voluntarily 2 hours a week to this group which goes from I have never switched a computer on, to ok I want to put several aspects of my digitally enhanced photos together - how do I do it? The group ages gor from just turned 50 (not including me as I am MILES away from it!) to 80+, and their numbers are 5 on an average day to 22 on the waiting list - so when we move in a week's time to better and bigger premises I suspect I will have about 15 students all trying to vie for my attention.... I started back last September with a "structured" approach (This is after a year of teaching them!!) so we took Word and I asked what people wanted to do with it - we are still working through the variables now, and picture inserts with multi-coloured borders and 3 d views etc... I think I am up to being able to use Word 2003 at 80%, 2007 at 40% (I need to buy the license as my free trial has run out argh!) A word to all who are used to word up to 2003 version - the 2007 version is radivally different, but oh so much easier to understand and use - you inset a table and the toolbars all change to things applicable to tables - colours, outlines, formatting etc.....

What were the suggestions or two??? I am interred in bed with a bowl of porridge ( my cupboards are a bit bare after charging around this past month and having dearest daughter home), and Mr Bank Manager won't allow me any more money so I am a bit stuck - so porridge is warming and filling, and having been out in the rain giving a friend 1 to 1 coaching in throwing pointy arrows at a target (Archery - and no I don't do it my DD does, and rather well at that, but her coach thinks I make a good coach so fills my head with all this data which I remember for some obscure reason and thus have to pass it on...again no charge!) - arh yes - warm and now dry - the cats are warming up my feet nicely, I have redried my hair as it had become a mass of curls (it does that naturally which is fine on a beach, but I prefer it to be "tidy") and have crawled into bed with dresing gown on over pj's to see who had written to me....

ok I will go and look at other things!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
Then I definately need some TLC from the Nuts team! I teach computing to U3A (Some of you may know of this massive group being of or above the admissable age) it's the University of the 3rd Age (you have to be 50 to join)

SWMBO wants to join but the two in our area don't seem to have choices of interest to me.

I think I am up to being able to use Word 2003 at 80%, 2007 at 40% (I need to buy the license as my free trial has run out argh!) A word to all who are used to word up to 2003 version - the 2007 version is radivally different, but oh so much easier to understand and use - you inset a table and the toolbars all change to things applicable to tables - colours, outlines, formatting etc.....
When SWMBO was PA to the head of IT for a large American group near home she usewd to get legal copies of all the major WP software tht they were considering and I had a licensed copy of what we ised in the office; my PC at times had 5 different such (programs at the same time mainly for evaluation.

Having been retired for 9 years I simply haven't bothered to update - this PC has Word 97 as part of Office 97. It does its job so why change it? I think in the UK we probably have Word 2003 or so on her machine and I'm not sure what is on mine.

As for the other problem, try searching around in "Dealing with Debt" under
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Boards.asp?fid=5008
This is a huge site about all sorts of financial affairs from personal debt problems**, tax, insurance to investment - in about 8 years I haven't found everything so you have plenty to look at as you lie there snug as a bug in a rug. (You may have to register but it is free and you decide if you want any emails or not)
** when he posts Carmensfella is worth reading)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Have you tried Open Office? It's free and just as good as Microsoft. Up to version 2.4.
It will save in Word and pdf's, which I find a great help.
It will also read most word processor packages, something for which Microsoft was not famous.
I also use Firefox and Thunderbird but have yet to have the guts to move to Linux.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:Have you tried Open Office? It's free and just as good as Microsoft. Up to version 2.4.
It will save in Word and pdf's, which I find a great help.
It will also read most word processor packages, something for which Microsoft was not famous.
I've used it and for what it is it is very good. (I do tend to use some of the bells and whistles of Word just because they are there). I woulds certrainly recommend it given the cost of Microsoft products Having got a working and legal copy of Word, why need I change?