Favourite teacher

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: Favourite teacher

Post by gma »

How do you define "favourite" and does it vary with time and experience? To give an idea,
- there could have been a teacher whoi let you get away with everything, who was warm and friendly - but from whom you learned nothing.
- another teacher insisted on good quality work and at the end of the academic year you realised that, for all the hard work she put you through, you had actually acheived a lot.
- another teacher you hated but, looking back 10 years you realised that she was doing and acheiving everything possible to ensure that you ended up a well rounded individal.
How very wise!!

It my time, my favourite was Miss Hann who taught English, although I don't remember her being there for very long; she was a tiny woman who carried an enormous briefcase around with her and had a shock of grey hair in a pudding basin cut! She encouraged me to read books that were well outside the remit of the syllabus, she encouraged 'exploratory reading' and was unconcerned about what I read as long as my main stream work was done successfully - she knew the power of the carrot and the stick, do my work well, read anything, not do work and see book but can't read book!Still have a house full of books and very fond memories of her.

Although Miss Morrison and I had, (as I though t at the time although I am more reassured now that I've been reading all the posts!!), our own private mutual loathing society, she imbued me with enough grammatical knowledge to laugh like a drain all the way through 'Eats, shoots and leaves'. How irritating!

Scariest teacher was Mr Watson, amazing nasal hair and taught German or Maths, (bizarrely can't remember, did he do both?), remember 3 things about him; his looks - aforementioned amazing nasal hair, Napoleon Solo glasses and a smelly tweed jacket but suspect that that was pipe smell; his habit of keeping time metronome style with a ruler (although God knows what we chanting, times tables? Satanic incatations?) and finally when he approached me at the end of term after exams and said well done for my results, nearly pooped myself as I thought I'd blown it!! But can still do mental maths and when teaching was staggered at the number of graduates who couldn't! Also can still shop in German so I'm guessing he was pretty good too!!

I guess the only 'learned nothing' one I recall was Geogo and RE, was it Mrs Woods? Only remember 'bunking off' one of her classes and realising too late that at boarding school there's nowhere to go so spent the whole lesson reading a book locked in the outside loos in 2's!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

gma wrote: Scariest teacher was Mr Watson, amazing nasal hair
What is it with, erm... 'gentlemen of a certain age...' and hair? I have one stray hair growing from my right ear, but regularly clipped by Mrs Ajarn, who also reminds me when I need to apply (very carefully) a pair of scissors to my nostrils. This is all comparatively new to me, as I'm not a particularly hairy individual (except on my head, thankfully), but I remember having a boss many years ago, who couldn't have been more than mid-40s, and who had a vast tuft of white hair (the hair on his head was still brown) sprouting from his left ear. Why???? It was torture every time I spoke with the man, trying to keep my eyes off it. Ah, perhaps I've just answered my own question...
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

sejintenej wrote::backtotopic:

- another teacher insisted on good quality work and at the end of the academic year you realised that, for all the hard work she put you through, you had actually acheived a lot.

Thinking about who were my favourite teachers at CH and other schools they fell into this category-with the plus of them being a bit of the first one i.e warm and friendly. My favourtie teachers were also the ones who opened my mind and encouraged me to learn beyond what was taught in the classroom such as how literature and politics affect/influence each other.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

gma wrote:
Scariest teacher was Mr Watson, amazing nasal hair and taught German or Maths, (bizarrely can't remember, did he do both?), remember 3 things about him; his looks - aforementioned amazing nasal hair, Napoleon Solo glasses and a smelly tweed jacket but suspect that that was pipe smell; his habit of keeping time metronome style with a ruler (although God knows what we chanting, times tables? Satanic incatations?) and finally when he approached me at the end of term after exams and said well done for my results, nearly pooped myself as I thought I'd blown it!! But can still do mental maths and when teaching was staggered at the number of graduates who couldn't! Also can still shop in German so I'm guessing he was pretty good too!!
Are you getting confused between Mr Watson who taught French and German, and Mr Mulholland (Monty) who taught Maths? Monty was a gentle (though could sometimes be sarcastic) old bachelor who lived with his mum and his cat, and lived and breathed maths. Mr Watson was a talkative northerner (can't remember whether Lancashire or Yorkshire; the former I think), whose wife taught French part-time (one essay class a week to sixth-formers).

The person you have described sounds like Monty - he did have a rather smelly tweed jacket and quite distinctive nasal hair.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Are you getting confused between Mr Watson who taught French and German, and Mr Mulholland (Monty) who taught Maths?
Well done Jo, I knew someone would remember! Def was French and German Watson; didn't his wife teach too? Vaguely remember her being very tall with short black hair and an enormous mole (probably wasn't that big but hindsight always gives size where it isn't warranted!!)

Given that he was German Watson, we must have been chanting "ich bin, du bist, er, sie, es ist" to the timing of the ruler strikes!

Maths Monty I really liked, he was very patient whilst I struggled with thingummyjiggly tables, mind's gone blank, cos and sin etc etc, got it in the end but still never saw the point, what percentage of us ever used them in our careers I wonder?!! I do remember we got a really funky young teacher after Monty and she was great too but never achieved his gravitas - was that age? If so, I wonder when mine will arrive? Given the threads devoted to postal disasters elsewhere on this forum it may bethat it was sent and never arrived! :lol:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

gma wrote:Are you getting confused between Mr Watson who taught French and German, and Mr Mulholland (Monty) who taught Maths?

I had Mr Watson for French and have to say I was terrified of him and as a result used to dread each lesson with him. His wife did also teach but only as a cover as far as I recall.
I also had Miss Hann for English - I can remember holding the door open for her to come into the classroom and as she was so short we were able to sprinkle itching powder on her head :oops:
gma wrote:Only remember 'bunking off' one of her classes and realising too late that at boarding school there's nowhere to go so spent the whole lesson reading a book locked in the outside loos in 2's!!
We used to sit in/outside the loos in the School block or Science block if we bunked off lessons or chapel :oops:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
EvilAkela
2nd Former

Post by EvilAkela »

Mr Watson loved his banda sheets; those purple smelly sheets. He handed out masses of them. Someone threatened to make a costume out of his banda sheets at the end of the year, he had given out so many.
I think Mrs Watson taught one day a week and she took those of us who needed extra lessons, in the museum, maybe at lunchtime?
Heather Barber (Parsons)
1's 1977-1982
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I don't remember seeing Mrs Watson around very much - I just remember having her a few times when either Mr Watson or the other French teacher (Mrs Pickard I think) weren't there. I did bump into her (Mrs Watson) in BHS Bouremourth during the school hols once in the early 80's :lol:
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

The 80's (1978-84) were full of great teachers and great characters. Very surprised to see that nobody has talked about Tim Kirkup who was in Lamb A as housemaster for a long while befroe leaving CH to go off to USA for a year and then I think to a school in Yorkshire. The pink T shirts, tight coloured jeans and such a great organist. I had him as an English teacher and he was great. Kirkup had been hired by Baker and was certainly one of the inner sanctum.

I feel that Pat Cullen deserves a mention too as he was a great German teacher and I remember him dancing around to the in an auf neben zwichen vor...

Waller, Kemp, DNP, Pinkie Wright, Jeffers, Carrington, Bardou....I could go on for hours
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

CHAZ wrote: I feel that Pat Cullen deserves a mention too as he was a great German teacher and I remember him dancing around to the in an auf neben zwichen vor...
Paddy never impressed me, maybe because he was junior Housemaster in Barnes B when I arrived, replaced by Pete Brotherton, a more likeable individual, but maybe because he appeared to have favourites.
I was struggling in German and he invited other strugglers to his house for weekly extra classes. I asked to join but was refused, probably because I was a lost case (I failed German "O" level), but it certainly did not encourage me to work harder.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

CHAZ wrote: Very surprised to see that nobody has talked about Tim Kirkup who was in Lamb A as housemaster for a long while befroe leaving CH to go off to USA for a year and then I think to a school in Yorkshire. The pink T shirts, tight coloured jeans and such a great organist. I had him as an English teacher and he was great. Kirkup had been hired by Baker and was certainly one of the inner sanctum.
He was at CH when I was there and although I was never taught by him he did come on our history trip to Florence in 1987 so knew him from that. He was a really nice bloke. One thing that sticks in my mind was one day when we went to the beach near Pisa he lost a ring after swimming in the sea - he was gutted. We all looked for it but it was never found.
I also remember visiting him with another old blue in Southampton a year or so after that holiday. I think he must have left CH by then & was teaching elsewhere - can't remember now.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Did he have sisters at Hertford in the 70s? Susan was in 8s from about 67-74 and Rosemary in 7s from about 68-75. I think they were both 617/Barnes Wallis presentees. Kirkup is quite an unusual name and it would be a coincidence if he was unrelated to them.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I have discovered that Tim Kirkup is now the Head Master at Scarborough College. I think he must have left CH a couple of years after returning from his one year sabbatical in US in 1984-1985...

As for him having sisters at Hertford that's a good question. I don't remenber him saying anything about that or even seeing sisters visit him at CH the 6 years I was there.

Anywy nice to see that others found him to be a great guy...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHAZ wrote:I have discovered that Tim Kirkup is now the Head Master at Scarborough College. I think he must have left CH a couple of years after returning from his one year sabbatical in US in 1984-1985...

As for him having sisters at Hertford that's a good question. I don't remenber him saying anything about that or even seeing sisters visit him at CH the 6 years I was there.

Anywy nice to see that others found him to be a great guy...
Once a cop - always a cop !

http://www.scarboroughcollege.co.uk/people/staff.php
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Thanks for the link, JR.
I did actually see it before but cripes when i was at Housey, Kirkup had a beard and a full crop of hair!
I guess in 28 years theere are some changes.
Still great to see photo of him in the Senior School section...

Any OB remember his fantastic fur on his Cambridge Music degree gown worn oat Sunday chapels?

great stuff...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984