Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

the 10 minute run/train ride to Horsham station and back was easier.
or the 10 minute cycle to Sainsburys.
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I see I'm reviving a dormant site, but never mind. There's one item of housey slang we use in our household because we can't think of a better word, namely "skiff-plate". A skiff-plate is a plate for skiffage (food scraps, see above). Normally the skiffage went into a skiff pan at the end of the table, but on occasion, notably when we had kippers, a plate was passed down the table so that people could put their bones on it. At home we still use it for a plate to put bones etc. on.

A propos "Brazilian" somewhere above, if you speak German (or even if you don't, it's mostly English) try this link:
http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedq ... de&lang=de
Thornton chimp
2nd Former

Post by Thornton chimp »

Richard Ruck wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "crotching" - secreting of smoking materials down the front of one's breeches in order to prevent them being confiscated during a search or when caught smoking.

Used to keep the Old Holborn nice and moist as well..... (sorry about that).
As a point of interest "crotching"or "crutching" is also female prison slang, for more or less the same thing. It most commonly refers to drugs, weapons and other illicit materials secreted internally, sick!
I still live in Shellys wood.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

See, even "Prisoner Cell Block H" can teach you something!! :oops:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by DavebytheSea »

Spud?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eh ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Farnaz wrote:It means: shiny forehead and is accompanied by a huge smacking sound of the lips. The boys said it all the time, maybe only in our day. :rock:
My children have used that phrase and lip smacking action but I don't remember it at CH in my time.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The kids round here tend to use the term 'slap-head' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

We used the word 'spam'
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Being now 80 !!! I was a Blue, when we drank everything in BOWLS in Dining Hall, these were quite thick and heavy, it took some time to learn the tecnique, of 1st and 2nd finger with thumb.
Everything liquid was "KIFF" which was supposed to derive from the Greek KOPHOS,---- a drink of uncertain origin !
This may not be so, but is a good joke !
I didn't do Greek --- being one of those Geography Deps, who numbered 5 of the first Rugby 15 in our last year, not, you will understand, academics ----but do not mess !
In my first term I had a "Nursemaid" do these still exist ? mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add.0 I think he went on, like myself, to the Army, and id very well, --- are you still out there ? or do we need a seance ?
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Kiff was still going strong in the 80s too along with Crud, Flab and Muck!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add
My heart genuinely bleeds for the poor so and so. I sense another thread starting...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add
My heart genuinely bleeds for the poor so and so. I sense another thread starting...
My wife's maiden name can difficult for a Brit to pronounce. Her cousin, with the same surname, was a teacher at Barking Technical College and, to save all the usual problems, instructed his pupils to call him "Mr Lucy"
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I didn't do Greek --- being one of those Geography Deps, who numbered 5 of the first Rugby 15 in our last year, not, you will understand, academics ----but do not mess !
You must have been one of the original Jogger Deps -- CH's first teetering step towards recognition that there were other choices beside leaving at 15 or getting an Oxbridge scholarship.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

In My day (the 40s) Trades consisted of : Laying out the crockery etc. Collecting meals, from the tables set up at the end of each House and Manned (Or Womaned) by a lady in Kitchen uniform, The Trades served these meals, in seniority order from the top of the House table and ALSO the two Monitors, at the lower end of the table. Clearing up after the "Second Knock" (Do we still have that ?) and taking the dirtys to the kitchens.
Related to that, I was tripped, deliberately, by a Senior and sprawled on the floor, dirty plates and all ! I said (Loudly) "Ill have you for that !" and in the dormitory, that night, I blacked his eye. --- I should explain that I was brought up in Stockwell, and even at 12 was "Handy"
The following day, I iwas "FOTCHED" (Used no more presumeably !) A slap across the face, bya Senior Senior, "You do not strike Seniors !"
Does anybody remember "FOTCHED" ?
I'll get my coat --- if I can remember where I put it !