Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by J.R. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:56 am

The kids round here tend to use the term 'slap-head' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

We used the word 'spam'
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:28 am

Being now 80 !!! I was a Blue, when we drank everything in BOWLS in Dining Hall, these were quite thick and heavy, it took some time to learn the tecnique, of 1st and 2nd finger with thumb.
Everything liquid was "KIFF" which was supposed to derive from the Greek KOPHOS,---- a drink of uncertain origin !
This may not be so, but is a good joke !
I didn't do Greek --- being one of those Geography Deps, who numbered 5 of the first Rugby 15 in our last year, not, you will understand, academics ----but do not mess !
In my first term I had a "Nursemaid" do these still exist ? mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add.0 I think he went on, like myself, to the Army, and id very well, --- are you still out there ? or do we need a seance ?

CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 am

Kiff was still going strong in the 80s too along with Crud, Flab and Muck!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 am

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add
My heart genuinely bleeds for the poor so and so. I sense another thread starting...
I know exactly what words I am wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiffsquiddled around

Phil Underwood Ma A Col A Mid B 68-75

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Ajarn Philip wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: mine was a chap called LUCY,( his surname , I hasten to add
My heart genuinely bleeds for the poor so and so. I sense another thread starting...
My wife's maiden name can difficult for a Brit to pronounce. Her cousin, with the same surname, was a teacher at Barking Technical College and, to save all the usual problems, instructed his pupils to call him "Mr Lucy"
It is hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:27 am

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I didn't do Greek --- being one of those Geography Deps, who numbered 5 of the first Rugby 15 in our last year, not, you will understand, academics ----but do not mess !
You must have been one of the original Jogger Deps -- CH's first teetering step towards recognition that there were other choices beside leaving at 15 or getting an Oxbridge scholarship.
Th.B. 27 1955-63

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 am

In My day (the 40s) Trades consisted of : Laying out the crockery etc. Collecting meals, from the tables set up at the end of each House and Manned (Or Womaned) by a lady in Kitchen uniform, The Trades served these meals, in seniority order from the top of the House table and ALSO the two Monitors, at the lower end of the table. Clearing up after the "Second Knock" (Do we still have that ?) and taking the dirtys to the kitchens.
Related to that, I was tripped, deliberately, by a Senior and sprawled on the floor, dirty plates and all ! I said (Loudly) "Ill have you for that !" and in the dormitory, that night, I blacked his eye. --- I should explain that I was brought up in Stockwell, and even at 12 was "Handy"
The following day, I iwas "FOTCHED" (Used no more presumeably !) A slap across the face, bya Senior Senior, "You do not strike Seniors !"
Does anybody remember "FOTCHED" ?
I'll get my coat --- if I can remember where I put it !

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I always thought that "fotched" was a rap on the head with the knuckle of the middle finger.
I forget who it was but he had a long reach and could get you from a sitting position at the bottom of the table in Dining Hall.
In Barnes B, if memory serves me, the House captain and 2 house monitors sat at the top of the table and the rest of the house monitors at the bottom, one or maybe two of whom served the food.
The same monitor who "fotched" me also split a plate with a serving spoon when he brought it down too hard when serving something.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:26 pm

For Yadayada
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 pm

For Yadayada, just to bring it to the top
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:38 pm

As indicated in my other post, most Housey slang has now gone. Bockers (gone), Lav Ends (going as Lav Ends do not exist anymore), Kiff (never used in my time) ... i really cannot think of any word that is Housey only anymore other than words such as Housey, Broady, Rolls...ermmm!

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Some houses still have lav ends don't they though? (The houses that were 'partially' refurbed?)

what about the word 'toyce'?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Great Plum wrote:what about the word 'toyce'?

Came from Winchester, was introduced in 1964 with the first great wave of modernization.

I remember in 1963, when Seaman was outlining the plans, he mentioned these things. He said: "At Winchester they call them "toyces". Perhaps we should do the same."
Th.B. 27 1955-63

CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:23 pm

I have written about it here before but school monitors and the Sg used to get a small amount of cash from the school (beer money!9 called Q shott...I guess this may disappear too?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984