Choir trip to Chartres

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Choir trip to Chartres

Post by JamesF35 »

The arrival of JDS on this forum has reminded me of some of my choir exploits whilst at CH. Is there anyone else out there that was on the choir trip / Chichester diocesan pilgramage to Chartres Cathedral ?

It must have been around 1975 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). A coach load of selected chapel choir members all headed off for a fantastic oportunity to sing in, and enjoy the 14 second (or thereabouts) echo in Chartres Cathedral.

I remember we had a great time although I think i spent a large amount of the time drunk. Wine with meals, chapagne receptions, litres of bierre in cafés and ending up with getting completely legless on the delayed ferry home. The staff (thank you JDS and MJMcK) must have been extremely tolerant to turn a blind eye - if it happened today I would probably have been sent home and expelled !!

We stayed in a dreadful, filthy hostel where they served up horse meat stew to us one night - it was quite nice in fact !

I think the highlite of the tour must have been singing "Hymn to the Virgin" (two choirs) in the crypt of the cathedral - but maybe that's because that was one of the few bits I was sober enough to remember.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
James Bishop LHA / MidA 72-78
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

So you joining the scratch choir and going to the CHA Carol Concert?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.