St Matthews Day

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

darthmaul wrote:It's a struggle now to imagine having lived a half-century...my hat goes off to you all.

Did anyone keep any old currency?
just the odd groat
BaB, ColB 1973-80
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

sport! wrote:
darthmaul wrote:It's a struggle now to imagine having lived a half-century...my hat goes off to you all.

Did anyone keep any old currency?
just the odd groat
Pssst!

What's that?
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/fourd.html

I have the coins from my birth year.

No 18 year old can imagine being over 50, it goes with the territory, and it would be terribly sad if they could.

But most people over 50 are still 18 inside, even sadder!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A smack round the back of the head
A dry crust of stale bread
And a good dose of Diptheria !

Arr !! The good old days !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

From the lumber room of the mind .. 'Take with the left, shake with the right, and bow to the Lady Mayoress.'
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

postwarblue wrote:From the lumber room of the mind .. 'Take with the left, shake with the right, and bow to the Lady Mayoress.'
Taken in 1965 I think.
Can't see the Lady Mayoress
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

There's a game called "How many handshakes..." link you to this or that famous person. Having shaken the hand of Sir Bernard Waley-Cohen on St Matthew's Day 1961 (and presumably his successor in 1962, can't remember his name), I am linked very quickly to almost everyone (Stalin in 4, for example). This must go for anyone who went to London on St Matthew's Day.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: St Matthews Day

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The post about St Matthew's Day, reminds me that I sent a Press photo of the Band, (Of which I was a Member -- Cornet)
marching through a devestated City, in 1945, to the Blue.
I remarked that the Drum Major was obviously headed for a distinguished Military Carreer.
It was Paddy, who afterwards became editor of the Old Blue, is that not a Military Career ?
I seem also, from a fast-fading memory, to remember that, as Captain of Bugles, with the other two Silver Bugles, Vinsen and Lucy, we played Bugle Calls at Tea, and were in demand at local Churches on Remembrance Day.
I think the Tea Recital no longer exists, but do the Bugles still perform at local Churches --- Who knows ?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Sorry ! Here I am again --Having read the bits about being over 50 and keeping old currency ---( Groats,) you will gather from my last post, that I am 80 !! You are right about feeling 18 for ever -- the day after my Birthday, I did a 13000ft Skydive for Charity ( Diabetes UK-- Having been on Insulin for 52 yeaars, including my last 3 in the Army) This was a bit of a con ---- I got my Para Wings in 1948 ! but it was a good cause so excusable .
As to old coins, check the value of Florins -- (of Silver), Crowns, Pre 1900, Etc. You will find they ARE worth more today !
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The post about St Matthew's Day, reminds me that I sent a Press photo of the Band, (Of which I was a Member -- Cornet)
marching through a devestated City, in 1945, to the Blue.
I remarked that the Drum Major was obviously headed for a distinguished Military Carreer.
It was Paddy, who afterwards became editor of the Old Blue, is that not a Military Career ?
Do you want the photo back? I think I have it around somewhere.
Paddie was my predecessor as OBe and I know that he was active in the TA.
Great guy Paddie, who convinced me to take over during Lunch at the Army and Navy Club.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Thanks J Hopgood for the remarks about the ex OBe Paddy,
If you still have the Photo, it might be interesting to publish it in this Forum, if only to show what the City looked like in 1945 ----- I should add that my parents appear on the other side of the road, My Father was a City Policeman and I was actually BORN in the square mile, I have only ever met one other person who was so located at birth !
Can I add a little story about how I got to CH ---- St Sepulchres presented 3 boys, each year in a competitive Exam to reach CH, this was for the children of people who worked in the Parish..
In the 1940 exam I came FOURTH ! and so failed !
One of the 3 successful canditates, I don't know which, was killed in the first Blitz, so I got to CH late in 1940.
It was always said at School, that I slid into Housey "Under the Door !"
I was BA B 35,---- it would be interesting to know if any of the St.Sepulchre's intake of 1940 are still around.
I know of one chap--- Salmon, who entered the same way, also City Police son. but he is younger than I by about 4 years.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I had some St Mathews days coins along with a £1 pound note and a 2 metal £2 coin all in a lock up box in my Toist on my GE, a housemate stole them along with some other money from other people to go on a bender. He left shotly after and I was given back the same value of money into my house account (that was in the red) but it compensate for the fact they were more than just a monetary value.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"I remarked that the Drum Major was obviously headed for a distinguished Military Carreer.
It was Paddy, who afterwards became editor of the Old Blue, is that not a Military Career ?"
I believe that you will find that the man himself spellt his name as "Paddie" (his actual Christian names were Colin S). He was, indeed, following a successful military career as a professional soldier (Sandhurst then to major in the Royal Artillery) when he was compulsorily selected for redundancy. It was a very bitter blow, but he gritted his teeth and built himself a second career as a personnel manager with a large engineering company, whilst keeping up his military connections with the TA and with the Imperial War Museum. He also earned a degree at the OU, became a greatly admired member of the Society of Antiquarians and was an (perhaps even the) acknowledged international expert on a particular type of medieval font, known, I believe, as a Tournai font. Oh yes, and he also was editor of Old Blue section of The Blue and a very active member of the committee of the CH Club for nine years. He was also a highly qualified and respected rugby referee.

Those of us who went to his funeral were astonished to discover the enormous breadth of his interests and were humbled to find out about a series of family tragedies and illnesses which he had kept carefully concealed.

A lovely man and a great Old Blue

David Miller