Ross and Brand.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Ross and Brand.

Post by J.R. »

Now that the dust seems to be settling, I just wondered on Forum Members views on the subject.

Controller of Radio 2 sacked - Quite right too.

Brand resigns from BBC, but still holds lucrative contracts with other broadcasting companies.

Ross suspended for 12 weeks without pay. That'll hardly touch his bank balance.

I was having a customery afternoon snifter in one of my locals earlier in the week. The time of day when retired people of my age meet to 'chew the fat'.

The general concensus was that they both should have been sacked immediately. On one thing we were unanimous, all having grand-daughters. We all agreed that a visit to the two concerned for a conversation involving a baseball bat would probably do the trick.

Woss doing his Friday night chat-show in a wheelchair has its attractions.

Incidently, I'll NEVER watch or listen to any show in which they are involved.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Re: Ross and Brand.

Post by CHAZ »

Ross's 16000£ a day salary is really quite absurd for the poor quality he apparently dishes out..In times of hardship, this kind of dough is quite staggering.

The Beeb could spend the money far much better elsewhere...they could lower your Licence fees for a start!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

The behaviour of Ross and Brand was distasteful in the extreme but, given that the show was recorded rather than live, the real blame lies with whoever allowed the sordid episode to be broadcast after Andrew Sachs refused permission.

There is a danger here that resentment of Ross' exorbitant salary means that he is being blamed for something beyond his control.

I can't help but wonder whether a person or persons within the BBC had their own agenda to stitch Ross and or Brand up.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Apparently Wossie's lawyers are looking into the legal implications of NOT paying him during his enforced suspension.

That really IS rubbing salt into Sach's wound !
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I suspect the number and volume of the complaints are more to do with a national feeling of being unable to affect the general dumbing down and filthing up of everything from radio to tv and society in general. The groundswell far outnumbers the actual listeners and I believe that people have piled onto the bandwagon and are taking the opportunity to express a much greater dissatisfaction than that generated by a rather sad radio show.

The fact that Brand actually had had a relationship with Sachs' grand-daughter is no excuse but Ross's puerile 'background' comments, which were far worse than Brand's attempt at humour, illustrate the fact that he is an aging broadcaster still retaining a 'schoolboy/student' mentality. For the record, I was a fan of both Brand and Ross.

The BBC and those 'in charge' of managing our society should be far more worried about what this mass protest actually represents.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I have never watched Ross because I can't stand the sound of his voice, and I saw Brand once when he was on HIGNFY. He looked as though he needed a good scrub with a yard broom, and sounded as though he as under the influence of something or other. A total waste of space. They should both have been sacked at once BUT why was a radio broadcast being filmed?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

[quote="Mid A 15"]The behaviour of Ross and Brand was distasteful in the extreme but, given that the show was recorded rather than live, the real blame lies with whoever allowed the sordid episode to be broadcast after Andrew Sachs refused permission.
quote]

Thats what i have been saying all week-yes what they did was incredibly distasteful but the producer should have known it was not good to broadcast and cut it! Secondly..........the number of complaints was only 1 within the first couple of hours-it soaredonce the press got wind of it and put it in the paper
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The controller of Radio 2, was not sacked, she resigned saying she was very sorry that such a thing had happened on her watch. If only some men were as quick to fall on their swords.

I totally agree with Gerrie, I too liked the humour of both Ross and Brand and Brand until this happened.

Unfortunately daughter has joined a Facebook group supporting them and several of her friends have told her off. Her Dad is visiting her today and is going to ask her what she would do if someone made a similar call to HER Grandpa.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sacked ? Pushed ? Whatever - It was inevitable she had to go !!

Tell Grand-Pa to invest in a baseball-bat. The aluminium ones are best.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I think Gerrie is asbolutely right that the furore isn't just about the Ross/Brand incident, but is about dissatisfaction with declining standards of broadcasting and behaviour in general. I also agree that, whilst Ross & Brand are far from blameless, they got carried away with silliness, but the real blame lies with whoever decided it was fit for broadcasting. What planet were they on? It beggars belief. Still, at least heads are rolling higher up, where the management control was clearly lacking. I find Jonathan Ross a bit irritating - a middle-aged man who thinks he's still a cheeky chappie is a bit sad, but actually Russell Brand does make me laugh.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Jo wrote:I think Gerrie is asbolutely right that the furore isn't just about the Ross/Brand incident, but is about dissatisfaction with declining standards of broadcasting and behaviour in general. I also agree that, whilst Ross & Brand are far from blameless, they got carried away with silliness, but the real blame lies with whoever decided it was fit for broadcasting. What planet were they on? It beggars belief. Still, at least heads are rolling higher up, where the management control was clearly lacking. I find Jonathan Ross a bit irritating - a middle-aged man who thinks he's still a cheeky chappie is a bit sad, but actually Russell Brand does make me laugh.
here here Jo
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Completely agree with everyone.

However, Voluptua and the Satanic Sluts have received the most astonishing publicity!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Angela Woodford wrote:Completely agree with everyone.

However, Voluptua and the Satanic Sluts have received the most astonishing publicity!
yes ve noticed that and the grandaughter in question 2 days after it all came out sold her story of sleeping with Brand to the Sun-now is that not going to cause offence to grandfather?
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Possibly he doesn't read The Sun
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Message one: As Brand begins to leave a message, Ross blurts out: "He **** your granddaughter... I'm sorry I apologise. Andrew, I apologise, I got excited, what can I say - it just came out."
Brand replies: "Andrew Sachs, I did not do nothing with Georgina - oh no, I've revealed I know her name. Oh no, it's a disaster."

Ross goes on to say: "If he's like most people of a certain age, he's probably got a picture of his grandchildren when they're young right by the phone. So while he's listening to the messages, he's looking at a picture of her about nine on a swing..."

Message two: "Andrew, this is Russell Brand. I'm so sorry about the last message, it was part of the radio show - it was a mistake."

Ross adds: "It might be true but we didn't want to break it to you in such a harsh way."

Brand goes on to say: "No, I'm sorry, I'll do anything. I wore a condom. Put the phone down. Oh, what's going to happen?"

Message three: The message opens with Ross saying: "She was bent over the couch..."

Brand then improvises a song which includes the lines: "I said some things I didn't of oughta, like I had sex with your granddaughter..."

Message four: Brand opens the message with: "Alright Andrew Sachs' answer phone? I'm ever so so sorry for what I said about Andrew Sachs."

"Just say sorry," adds Ross,

"I'll kill you," says Brand laughing.

"Don't say you'll wear him as a hat - just say sorry," continues Ross.

"Sorry, right," adds Brand.

Got to love the way that not many people originally complained but then the Newspaper (use the word NEWS extremely loosly) the Daily Mail (AKA Doom and Gloom, yuk) campaigned against it, thats when the complaints went up.

Come on she did sleep with him. After this and now people complaining about Jeremy Clarkson's comments when driving a lorry "change gear, change gear, check mirrors, kill a prostitue" (100 and somthing compaints on the day, after the media got hold of it, now gone upto 500) No one will be able to say anything on TV, back to the days of silent movies i think!!

You know that Ross/Brand/Clarkson are all outspoken people that say what they think, if you don't like it, don't listen to it.

What makes me laugh is that the grandaughter is now saying they should be reinstated and that suspending Ross was over the top, make your mind up love, your the one that made the fuss (oh yeah sorry that was to make money wasn't it)

Right thats my opinion now said, i'm off to compain about Phil and Fern for saying "Good Morning" I'm offended as it hasn't been!!
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?