Choir memories + Invitation to join a Choir in London

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Choir memories + Invitation to join a Choir in London

Post by huntertitus »

I sang in the chapel choir and the choral society both conducted by Malcolm McKelvey who had odd crinkly hair but nevertheless was an inspiring and dedicated music teacher and conductor. I wondered if anybody has fond memories of singing in CH choirs. It gave me a lifelong love for choral music. I sang Matthews and Johns Passion by J S Bach, Handels Messiah, and Mozarts Requiem among others in the choral society and particularly remember the beautiful anthem "Laudate Nomen Domini" sung regularly in the Chapel Choir. Who wrote that, I wonder? After a gap of about 35 years I have today been to choir practice for a performance of Mozarts Requiem to be sung in Westminster Abbey in March. In fact if there are any ex-choir members keen to join in I know they'd be keen to recruit more basses and particularly tenors.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Choir memories + Invitation to join a Choir in London

Post by englishangel »

I think half the guys on here are singers, Plum, JT and DBTS among them, don't know what parts they sing and DBTS is too far away anyway. Don't know if any of the women sing, we are all to busy on here :axe:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I loved the choir at CH - I was lucky enough to be part of 4 choir recordings which were always fun to do (well they were fun until you get to the 17th take of the 3rd verse of In The Bleak Midwinter)... I was also in the Schola Cantorum which was fun but I was probably in over my depth!

I sing tenor, but alas Mozart's Requeim in London is a bit too far for me to commit... (I think we sang this at an Angus Ross Memorial Concert - my UF or GE I think!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

I doubt it will be before my Easter holidays begin (21st March) but if you still need any sops then I would be more than happy to revisit Mozarts Requiem (lacrymosa is one of my favourite pieces of all time).
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

We practiced the Lachrymosa today as well as the top volume Dies Irae which has the most tremendously over-the-top words about days of wrath and the world being consumed in ashes. And by the way, Mr Plum, I was on an L.P. record singing in the chapel choir about 1972, and sang a concert with the school choir along with a visiting Flemish Cathedral choir which was put on the air by Radio 3
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

My singing career followed a slightly less illustrious path although I did sing Handel's Mesiah in the same choral society in the early 70's (sat next to Kit Aitken singing base and could still do with sitting next to him now, a good powerful voice to follow). I hadn't sung since but recently joined the Prudhoe community choir and am enjoying it immensely. We have sung a couple of concerts and weddings. Pity it's such a long way to London otherwise I could be tempted.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Do we have a confirmed date for this yet? Would love to attend and listen (I sing like a creaking door unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you're looking at it!!) and I'd liketo bring my Mum who loved to listen to CH choirs - she said they were always fabulous. And she was right. :)
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Concert happened last night. Poulenc's Organ Concerto, then The Lark Ascending, and finally the Requiem. We sang it by all accounts quite well with full (Westminster School) orchestra, complete with antique trumpets without valves and an organ. The echo in Westminster Abbey really puts the hairs on the back of your neck erect, especially in the Dies Irae. It was one of the best evenings this year and I will do it again next year if invited.