Should Christ's Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Should Christ’s Hospital Stop Being a Faith School?

Post by englishangel »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Mary...re the 'Baptist ' with straight blond hair in my year, are you thinking of Chrissy Barnett - 3's?
That sounds right
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Not 'John', Then ?

:shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

midget wrote:I agree. Some time ago I read an interview with the Lady to whom Kerren referred. She appeared to condemn CH for not taking enough notice of her Jewish faith. Did she or her parents not know that CH was founded on CofE ideas?
Inadvertantly, and before the article was published, I said as much to her in the course of conversation whilst sitting next to her at lunch during the second Hertford Museum visit :oops:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Jo said "If I had had kids, I would have had a dilemma"

Jo, I am here to tell you that if you had --- you WOULD have had dilemmas --- and not only about Education !
We are so anxious that they grow tall enough to hold our hand, then to go to school on their own then --- the first request for a MOTORBIKE --- shock horror ! -- quite unaware that this may be a cunning ploy, to get a car !

I remember that all the nice girls, to whom my Mother introduced me, were total anathema -- for that very reason !

My Grandson (20) now has a Girlfriend who is the daughter of a CHOCOLATIER ! ----- this would seem ideal, except for the fact that Anne and I are both Type 1 Diabetics, on Insulin ! ! --- you can't win ! :(
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

RELIGIOUS, Royal and Ancient Foundation is what it "says on the tin" (awful phrase but apposite in this instance). Therefore people know what they are getting and are not being misled.

AKAP and/or Plum Senior will correct me if necessary but I am struggling to think of any non Christians at all in my time partly, I suspect, because the ethnic mix at CH was very different to now in the sixties and early seventies. I can remember a Jewish boy who spoke vehemently against orthodox Judaism and had no interest in pursuing it and a Catholic boy who occasionally attended Mass in Horsham and that's it.

As British society has become more diverse both in terms of ethnicity and religions practised it should of course be part of an evolving educational process to make pupils aware of other religions and their core beliefs but CH is a Christian Foundation and that should remain a fundamental part of the ethos in my opinion and CH should not be ashamed of that nor apologise for it.

I have Muslim friends educated in Pakistan by Jesuit brothers and they are very grateful to those Jesuits. However they are still devout Sunni Muslims.

As I said above people know what they are getting so what is the problem?

For the record I am no longer C of E and became a Roman Catholic quite a few years ago now.

That may or may not invalidate my opinion in Spoony's eyes :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Like Andy, (above), I know we had a few Catholic boys at Horsham in the early 60's and I seem to remember they were transported to Horsham for worship. They were, however, very much in the minority.

I cannot recall any of the Jewish faith, and certainly no Muslims etc.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

There was Gerinder Sumrah, a SIKH, when I was at CH but I am pretty sure he did not wear his turban.

Muslims there must have been, but unknown I reckon. Everyone just went to Chapel because you had to do it!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We certainly had Parvin Patel, who I believe was a Moslem, in 2's the year after me.

:offtopic: A phenomenal natural pianist. she had never had access to a piano before and was found playing all sorts of things by ear.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:We certainly had Parvin Patel, who I believe was a Moslem, in 2's the year after me.

:offtopic: A phenomenal natural pianist. she had never had access to a piano before and was found playing all sorts of things by ear.
Just imagine how good she would have been if she used her fingers !!!!

:lol:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

There were certainly three Jews during the 1949-55 period, but this only became obvious to me many years later when someone mentioned them in passing. At the time it was never a matter of discussion and even if it had been mentioned I doubt that anyone would have been in the slightest bit interested. There was also one RC, Bernie Rubbra, and the only reason we knew that was because he used to go to Mass in Horsham on Sundays - and thus did not have to listen to the dreadful sermons in Chapel.
Like a significant number of OBs, I became a Roman Catholic after I left, but am quite happy to attend Chapel on visits to the school. Happy, that is, apart from the paintings, which I loathed then and still do!

As to Housie being a "faith school" - long may it continue to be so. Its the same as the bluecoat - it's something parents sign up to when they enter their children for the school. If they don't like either, they are at complete liberty to look elsewhere.

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I remember Bernie Rubbra but never knew why he was "different" even though I was in the same house. (Just remembered - he always seemed to be in the Art School with Miss Todd who was, without any doubt, the absolutely most awful boring uninspiring teacher it has been my fate to suffer) As with Ashton, his religion was irrelevant to us.
A couple of points though; this was before the days of Vatican II and it was a sin (my wife t6hinks it was a venal sin) for RCs to read the standard CH bible. Were RCs denied a leaving bible or did they get special ones? I was delighted to see that the Jewish lady eventually received a suitable momento of her time at CH: I do think that they should have tried to get her a copy of the Torah or an Old Testament or appropriate equivalent. What did the Sikhs get?

Talking of religious requirements, immediately after school I lived and worked in "difficult" circumstances and, in order to avoid what might become a personal annoyance we were required to start with a very short haircut and we had to keep well shaven. None of the organisers thought about it until one member of the party - a Sikh - arrived, shaven, with short hair and without his ceremonial dagger. Apparently the leader of his shrine (or whatever name they use) had given him special permission. Of course the rules were dropped for him and apologies rendered immediately.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Since we are on the subject of "Religious Intolerance" ------ Is "Spoonbill" attending Old Blues Day -----

Can we burn him at the stake ? :lol: :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'd come to Horsham to see that! Nothing personal, you understand.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Since we are on the subject of "Religious Intolerance" ------ Is "Spoonbill" attending Old Blues Day -----

Can we burn him at the stake ? :lol: :lol:
Rump Stake?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Concerning which version of the Bible, there is only one woth bothering about in the English language. When I was receiving lessons from a Jesuit priest he asked if I had a Bible and I told him I did, so he asked me to bring it in next time (I think it was some sort of a test). On my producing my Housie Bible he remarked, first, on the beauty of the book itself (one of the old thick-covered versions) and then on the text, which, he told, me was the version he always used himself.