Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

blondie95
Button Grecian

Re: Repeal major detrimental changes at Christ's Hospital

Post by blondie95 »

Spartacist wrote:
blondie95 wrote:
Mr Avenell retired, as for others who may be leaving soon, some again are retiring and others are fairyl so moving onto other projects

I am pretty sure Mr Avanell didn't retire because he wanted to. From what I hear, he retired due to the way he was being treated by the new SMT.

This is the same for various other higher ranking members of staff. Unfortunately I cannot say who, as I am obliged to not mention it anywhere public.

But think, Mary Ireland, Munna Mitra, Bruce Grindlay..... All of these brilliant people moved/are moving for a specific reason.

Mr Franklin said to Mr Mitra: "Either you change the way you conduct chapel, or you leave"..... This is a rather harsh ultamatum for a man that had made chapel a worthwhile activity - kept us awake and alive with his enthusiasm.... and not to mention his booming voice!

I hope people also agree with this post!

Kind regards
S
Bar Revd Mitra, I have to take issue though with your suggestion that the depature of Bruce Grindlay and Mary Ireland and others being more than moving on in their career. I have moved around 4 times by the time I was 14 due to my father changing jobs, partly due to career progression but also because change is a good thing, however yes the change in SMT may have made the decision clearer (but then thats happened in the org i work in so its not odd or wrong). Bruce Grindlay is moving onto become a headmaster at a very good school, surely it makes complete sense, he has been at CH for5/6 years as head of music and is now lookin to move on to another/higher challenge.

It is sad for the school to loose talented teachers but it happens in every school, whislt I was at CH we lost Mr Marlowe the English teacher who was such a fantastic teacher, also since I left Mr Reid my other Eng teacher left and to me thats a really big loss to the school-they probably like most others who leave felt they had given all they could to the school and wanted to move onto a new challenge. And this is common throughout out the world of work, no company/school want to loose talented staff but it happens, and sometimes it takes a change in management/approach to make people realise they want a change or to progress in their career.

Anyway thats just my opinon
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

99yorkpj wrote:
Spartacist wrote:Dear Pip,

I know for sure that it was not the same under Dr Southern regarding sex - I know many people that got caught in a "comprimising position" did not get expelled or a "last chance" .... this would not be fair on couples that are legally allowed to have sex, as well as if they are good academics and or musicians/sportspeople......
Maybe not expelled, but suspended for sure. I know 2 Grecians (from East (on my year)) who were suspended for being caught in their pajamas in the same room (- a guy and a girl who were dating at the time).
Suspension and no second chance has always been the norm to my knowledge.
Nothing`s changed AFAIK.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Shane, I will break my own imposed exile as you have addressed my points specifically, and again they are well reasoned.

Web group - if it was Facebook, the school should not have the right to close it down, if it was launched and edited from outside - your knowledge of the detail is more then mine. However if the school wanted to ban facebook access (possible and legal) then that is a different matter.

The governing body i sthe employer of the SMT and as such has power - even if it would take some considerable effort to mobilise it. If they collectivley wanted to change the situation they could.

Staff leaving - for Bill Avenall, who was one of my Geography teachers, my main rugby coach and an all round good bloke, he must have been nearing retirement age as he was in his 40's when I left 20 years ago. As for the others, if your assertion is correct (especially about revd Mitra) then that is a concern, however it is the right of the individual to leave if they don't like their boss or the regime - exactly as I put in my previous post. If enough leave then the Governing Body may want to understadn why, as no organisation can cope with a high level of staff turnover and maintain process and standards easily.

If the hearsay is incorrect, then be careful as it may be slanderous.

The huge issue is the parental funding - look back and you will find I am clear on this.

I will definitely stop now! :)
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

cstegerlewis wrote: Web group - if it was Facebook, the school should not have the right to close it down, if it was launched and edited from outside - your knowledge of the detail is more then mine. However if the school wanted to ban facebook access (possible and legal) then that is a different matter.

Staff leaving - for Bill Avenall, who was one of my Geography teachers, my main rugby coach and an all round good bloke, he must have been nearing retirement age as he was in his 40's when I left 20 years ago.

I :)
AFAIK, Access to FB was banned due to pupils spending far too much time on it during prep.
It has now been reinstated, certainly for Grecians , I don`t know about the rest of the school - and pupils are on it during prep instead of working!

Also, and I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Bill Avenell stayed on an extra year to help the transition from old to new, which would definitely not indicate that he was "pushed".
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Mrs C. wrote:
cstegerlewis wrote: Web group - if it was Facebook, the school should not have the right to close it down, if it was launched and edited from outside - your knowledge of the detail is more then mine. However if the school wanted to ban facebook access (possible and legal) then that is a different matter.

Staff leaving - for Bill Avenall, who was one of my Geography teachers, my main rugby coach and an all round good bloke, he must have been nearing retirement age as he was in his 40's when I left 20 years ago.

I :)
AFAIK, Access to FB was banned due to pupils spending far too much time on it during prep.
It has now been reinstated, certainly for Grecians , I don`t know about the rest of the school - and pupils are on it during prep instead of working!

Also, and I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Bill Avenell stayed on an extra year to help the transition from old to new, which would definitely not indicate that he was "pushed".
I think your right Mrs C I remember hearing something along those lines
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I know for sure that it was not the same under Dr Southern regarding sex - I know many people that got caught in a "comprimising position" did not get expelled or a "last chance" .... this would not be fair on couples that are legally allowed to have sex, as well as if they are good academics and or musicians/sportspeople......
This phrase concerns me as it seems to imply that someone with a good academic record or musician or sportsman should be treated more favourably.
I hope I have misunderstood the point. :?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

AKAP wrote:

This phrase concerns me as it seems to imply that someone with a good academic record or musician or sportsman should be treated more favourably.
I hope I have misunderstood the point. :?
Equal treatment for all.
I know of at least one excellent cricketer who had the misfortune to be "caught" and was suspended, missing one of the most important matches at the end of the season.
And there was the case of another very talented musician with , let`s say, a" high-ranking " parent, who was also suspended.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I'm afraid that all the recent comments on this Topic, seem to have got on to a completely different Thread, from that, in which it started.
I shall , therefore, retire from, and abjure it in future !
Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

Dear all,

I feel, and in agreement with others - we have strayed from the point!

I came here all guns blazing (yes... check my posts) but now seem to have lost enthusiasm as slowly, I feel more isolated!

However, you can find me on FB (Shane Hayden Jones) Or message me on this forum if you have any questions....

So far the petition has not been edited, but by June it shall be.

It has been brilliant for debate, and I am glad I joined the forum!

Kind regards to all that have put up with my large rants....

Shane

(ps, the whole musician, sportsman business was my bad - that was NEVER supposed to sound elitest.... I just feel the rules on sex are quite harsh!)
And In My Heart You May Die
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

The Inspection of Christ's Hospital Parents' Questionnaires arrived in the post this morning - our one chance to air our grievances :evil:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The subject of liasons between two consenting pupils, (over the age of 18), is a highly interesting one, legally speaking. Obviously, it didn't really arise that much in my day, (if you'll pardon the expression), due to it being a one-sex school.

1. The school, COULD take the view that they make the rules, so if you don't like the rules then don't play the game.

2. In this modern world of court cases for everything, I decided to ask a solicitor drinking-partner where these two consenting pupils might stand ! With money and time, there COULD be a case under the Human Rights Act which COULD in the long term, prove very very expensive for CH.

Carry on debating..............
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

As i have said many times before on this forum, the school is acting as parent for over 800 indivdiuals-they have to ensure they take a line that is in best interest of pupils and will satsify as many parents as possible that they are not letting kids run free and do as hey please.

But teenagers if they want to will find a way round the staff like they do with other forbidden things such as smoking and drinking
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Spartacist
3rd Former

Post by Spartacist »

blondie95 wrote:As i have said many times before on this forum, the school is acting as parent for over 800 indivdiuals-they have to ensure they take a line that is in best interest of pupils and will satsify as many parents as possible that they are not letting kids run free and do as hey please.

But teenagers if they want to will find a way round the staff like they do with other forbidden things such as smoking and drinking

I disagree.... Sorry.

Tbh, people that are 16 years old can... under rule of law, have sex without needing consent of any kind. Yes, you say the school is supposed to act like a parent - but if your parents banned you from having sex with a partner of however long, it is a breach of the Human rights act 1998. The school cannot say that "it is in the best interest of these two beings not to have sex" .... ..... seeing as they are old enough to decide for themselves. Otherwise, not allowing sex encourages the following:

1) Pupils will to have sex as it is a risk, and therefore, more thrilling
2) Pupils will not be prepared for outside of the restricted enviroment of CH, and may have a negative effect on future relationships and therefore self confidence.

I thought I had more to say than this ^^^ but clearly have run out of steam once again...

regards
S.J
And In My Heart You May Die
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

Spartacist wrote:Tbh, people that are 16 years old can... under rule of law, have sex without needing consent of any kind. Yes, you say the school is supposed to act like a parent - but if your parents banned you from having sex with a partner of however long, it is a breach of the Human rights act 1998.
I have been reading this thread because I was worried that things are happening at the school that might affect my son, who starts in September. I was getting a bit concerned in places, and then I got to this last message and it moves me to say "oh grow up!".

I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the human rights act wouldn't have any effect on whether I allowed my children to have sex at 16 years old under my roof. Anyone living under anyone else's roof, be it a school, or even staying with a relative, follows the rules or leaves.

Of course, it is bound to happen that some people will break these rules and I would hope that it is dealt with firmly but with some sensitivity, rather than it always being a final chance under all circumstances.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Go KenHo!!