Favourite Housey hymns

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: Favourite Housey hymns

Post by dinahcat »

Englishangel-don't fret we will break you out of custody -as if you needed it! Woman -know your place !

Vaguely on topic . Charlotte Lycett had a brilliant spoof on the Foundation Hymn which revolved on a pun on underwear. Catch up, boys.You have to be very conversant with the tune and the words of he original but I do remember the closing lines which exhorted 'come on girls just raise your C cups '. I saw her at Hertford in August and she could still remember all the words of this rebellious delight. I wish we could contact her and get the full version.
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Oh so do I indeed - Charlotte was really talented in this respect.

What does this mean, that Hertford girls go off topic?

Anyone whoever saw BJ, Willie Wilson and the like sing "Jerusalem" with such fervent ardour couldn't help but ask themselves for the rest of their lives what ever they really would have done with a spear of shining gold - and particularly with "arrows of desire" . And I can't for the life of me see, even in my wildest fantasies, Miss Morrison driving off in a chariot of fire!

Well, for God's sake! What do you expect?
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Gosh Mary... I tremble for you. Do you need a safe house to which to escape?
And to come back to Chaz's point....where do your Favourite Housey hymns fit in all of that?
But my succinct list opened the Forum!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am fine, as is husband, he is not pressing charges. I told him I wouldn't put the ribbon in my hair or remove his shoes if he did.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

How shall I sing thy majesty...the hymn i couldnt remember and is sung at leaver service-gets me EVERY time i hear it..thinking back to standing there tears streaming bible in hand all of us holding onto each other (a combination of sadness and distinct lack of sleep/hangover from ball night before :))
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Is it the hymn or the event it is associated with that gets us going?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

probably the event as its the time i remember singing it! Oh well maybe i will change that and have it at the wedding...but then again knowing me im going to be in either fits of giggles of tears!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

englishangel wrote:
dinahcat wrote:Jerusalem . Maybe Jo will remember Rosalind ? who played classical guitar and who was allowed to go to London(shock horror) every Saturday for a lesson with Mr Mills. There was some speculation amongst her peers ( Felicity Saaunders?) and others who I can't quite remember) thaat guitar lessons weren't all that was on offer. I distinctly remember sitting in front of them all -maybe they were LVI- in chapel when they they convulsed at the line 'dark satanic Mills' which they clearly thought was a comment on Mr Mills and his guitar lessons with Rosalind. They all seemed to me at the time so grown up and sophisticated but Rosalind really was very sensible and kind of English rose-ish and the others delighted to see her blush -but 'in a good way' I think.
Bush?
Rosalind Malcolm. She was a couple of years older than me. She is now a Professor of some sort of Law at Surrey University and, according to the photo on their website, looks not a day older than when she left CH. Pah!!!

Dinahcat, I believe I have Charlie L's email address if you want me to contact her?

Favourite hymns.....
I always liked "Through the night of doubt and sorrow" because Miss Taverner introduced a new tune, not the original one - I think it might have been the tune for "What a friend we have in Jesus". My dad liked it so much he introduced it in our church at home.

Thine be the glory, but only to Judas Macabbeus. We had it at Dad's funeral
O son of man to the Londonderry Air...as above (or maybe it wasn't O son of man - there are a number of hymns sung to the Londonderry Air, and it's tune rather than the words that I love)
Be thou my vision to Slane

I always quite liked belting out Glorious Things of Thee are spoken - we got plenty of opportunity, as Miss Taverner liked it to. But not to the German national anthem tune

Cwm Rhondda
Dear Lord and Father of Mankind

Gosh, that's more than 5 - and I don't really do hymns any more :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And Miss Taverner changed the tune of a well known hymn (CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE.. help me out here, girls) to Sibelius' 'Finlandia'.....
Whenever I came across that hymn as a church choir member I always wanted to sing it to Finlandia even though it means repeating a line. Only once did the organist/choirmaster allow it. I was very moved and transported back to the Chapel at Hertford.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Jo , do email Charlie and see if she will send you the words of her alternative Foundation hymn. We were in the library doing prep when she came up with it I think and cried and cried laughing. We didn't have much to laugh about usually.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Have just dropped her an email and will let you know what she says :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

The inimitable Charlie has come up trumps. She says:

"Tragically, I can remember the alternative version of the Foundation Hymn. I forget my own name sometimes nowadays, but these words remain stubbornly lodged in my mind, along with that poem Miss Champion made us learn in the First Year that starts, "What is this life, if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare?"

As you will see from the following, brilliant it ain't, but here goes:-

The Foundation (Garment) Hymn

Praise the Lord for our Foundation,
Praise Him for supportive bras.
What care we for liberation?
A jump, a flop, we're seeing stars.
We're not afraid of our proportions.
We think what we've got is best.
Therefore, ladies, raise your 'C' cups,
Long live the thirty eight-inch chest!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Jo wrote:
englishangel wrote:
dinahcat wrote:Jerusalem . Maybe Jo will remember Rosalind ? who played classical guitar and who was allowed to go to London(shock horror) every Saturday for a lesson with Mr Mills. There was some speculation amongst her peers ( Felicity Saaunders?) and others who I can't quite remember) thaat guitar lessons weren't all that was on offer. I distinctly remember sitting in front of them all -maybe they were LVI- in chapel when they they convulsed at the line 'dark satanic Mills' which they clearly thought was a comment on Mr Mills and his guitar lessons with Rosalind. They all seemed to me at the time so grown up and sophisticated but Rosalind really was very sensible and kind of English rose-ish and the others delighted to see her blush -but 'in a good way' I think.
Bush?
Rosalind Malcolm. She was a couple of years older than me. She is now a Professor of some sort of Law at Surrey University and, according to the photo on their website, looks not a day older than when she left CH. Pah!!!

Dinahcat, I believe I have Charlie L's email address if you want me to contact her?

Favourite hymns.....
I always liked "Through the night of doubt and sorrow" because Miss Taverner introduced a new tune, not the original one - I think it might have been the tune for "What a friend we have in Jesus". My dad liked it so much he introduced it in our church at home.[quote)

I think that was the tune I liked too Jo, definitely my favourite hymn at Hertford. I did like the Christmas carols-especially 'In the bleak Midwinter', still a favourite.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jo wrote:that poem Miss Champion made us learn in the First Year that starts, "What is this life, if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare?"
:lol: :lol:

She was still dishing that one out in the 80's :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Come on, Wordsworth's "Upon Westminster Bridge".

http://www.online-literature.com/wordsworth/543/

The one I remember was Longfellow's "Hiawatha", there was even a picture on the wall in IIIa of a most gorgeous Native American. (I may have posted this before.)

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/moden ... nHiaw.html
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"