Parent representation

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Parent representation

Post by Katharine »

My thoughts too, Mary!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

We like it!
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

You might have to be issued with a password by the school in order to access it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't think the other Mary (MKM) would find a CH password too much of a problem.

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

The new chatroom was mentioned in the 'are we alone' thread a couple of weeks ago. Mid A said he thought maybe the school didn't want the new parents to use this forum because it was 'too subversive' (ok, I admit I had to look up the meaning in the dictionary :lol: ) But I don't think it would be long before this forum was mentioned on the school chatroom anyway, but do you think that is something that the school is trying to avoid?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Well, they'd be daft if they did. But I've never understood why there isn't a more formal link between this forum and the school. And I reiterate my point elsewhere that reinventing the wheel is a bit pointless; a forum exists here - not sure why you'd want to set up another one. Aren't chatrooms a bit difficult to index and if so, it would literally be just a talking shop rather than a solid soursce of information. In other words, you wouldn't be able to look at previous threads to get info. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or just barking? don't answer that last question :P
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

(Ok, I'm not answering!)

I really think that the advantage of this forum is that current parents benefit from the experience of all the OBs (MOST of which is useful :lol: ). Plus, this forum is more or less confidential in as much as none of us have to say who we are if we don't want to, but if the school chatroom doesn't give that option (ie they can work out from our email addresses who we are) it probably won't have such juicy discussions because parents may not want to express their true feelings.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Agreed. It does seem to imply a certain amount of control... ohspacebar hasgotstuckoncomputer-timetosignoff!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

huggermugger wrote: ohspacebar hasgotstuckoncomputer-timetosignoff!
:lol: :lol: uneedanewkeyboardhuggermugger
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have recently discovered that I can touch type (to a certain extent) because the last one died the death and I bought this one from ASDA (their value range) for £5.00. Six months on the letters have worn off the the heaviest use keys, A, S, E and N are gone, some others are quite faded too..
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Lonelymom wrote:
I really think that the advantage of this forum is that current parents benefit from the experience of all the OBs (MOST of which is useful ). Plus, this forum is more or less confidential in as much as none of us have to say who we are if we don't want to, but if the school chatroom doesn't give that option (ie they can work out from our email addresses who we are) it probably won't have such juicy discussions because parents may not want to express their true feelings.
Well, call me an old cynic (as you probably already do! :lol: ), but don't you think that might be rather the point? I suspect that the school are more keen to be seen to offer parents a channel for communication than they are to actually hear what they have to say.

I wonder whether the chatroom will include any feedback on issues raised?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Is this afore-mentioned chat-room actually up and running, or is it just an idea ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

It's not up-and-running yet, but according to the letter we got from Mr Franklin, it will be soon. The school website is being revamped, and when it's done, apparently the chatroom will be via a link from there. I suppose it will be helpful for very new/prospective parents who might want information, but I suspect there won't be the variety of threads there are on this forum.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Best not advertise it too much on here, then.

The trolls will invade ! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

I feel a bit like the legendary judge here - but: What is a troll??