Parent representation

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Parent representation

Post by Jo »

A troll is someone who goes on internet forums, email groups, newsgroups, etc, simply to stir up trouble. A couple of people have been accused of trolling here, but this is positively harmonious compared to other internet groups I belong to :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Ah.. thank you. Bit unfair on real trolls, really... they do get a bad press generally and I'm sure some of them are simply misunderstood. I've met some quite reasonable trolls.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Jo wrote:A troll is someone who goes on internet forums, email groups, newsgroups, etc, simply to stir up trouble. A couple of people have been accused of trolling here, but this is positively harmonious compared to other internet groups I belong to :D
I already have my suspicions about which members of this forum will be trolls on the CH chatroom :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Yup - where there's a bridge to hang out under... :D

I was quite fascinated by trolls as a child (the Billy Goats Gruff kind) and insisted on checking under bridges, just in case. Obviously this desire to believe in the magical runs in the family - my kids still cling to belief in Father Christmas (do you think that's self interest...?)

And my daughter thought leprechauns were real until very recently, she thought they were an Irish way of dealing with dwarfism. Saying "I wonder if we'll see any leprechauns" whilst out with friends on St Patrick's Day in Liverpool wasn't the easiest way to find out her mistake (she's 23...)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

My husband was in Finland last December for Hanna's birthday and was co-opted at short notice to play Father Christmas at granddaughter Hanna's playschool - she was apparently totally oblivious to who it really was. He takes playing the part of Father Christmas very seriously, growing a real beard every winter and shaving it off in Spring. One year he sent a postcard from Finland to the local primary school here, where he was due to 'perform' at their local Christmas Fair the following week, and had his photo taken at Helsinki airport with a stuffed reindeer. Now that is really what you call sending coals to Newcastle! Also at Christmas time he often warns small children in supermarkets that they need to be good if they want him to visit - one day he will get himself into trouble!!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:
Jo wrote:A troll is someone who goes on internet forums, email groups, newsgroups, etc, simply to stir up trouble. A couple of people have been accused of trolling here, but this is positively harmonious compared to other internet groups I belong to :D
I already have my suspicions about which members of this forum will be trolls on the CH chatroom :)

:?: :?: :?: :?:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Maybe very friendly, funny and highly entertaining trolls JR, not nasty ones :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Fjgrogan wrote:My husband was in Finland last December for Hanna's birthday and was co-opted at short notice to play Father Christmas at granddaughter Hanna's playschool - she was apparently totally oblivious to who it really was. He takes playing the part of Father Christmas very seriously, growing a real beard every winter and shaving it off in Spring. One year he sent a postcard from Finland to the local primary school here, where he was due to 'perform' at their local Christmas Fair the following week, and had his photo taken at Helsinki airport with a stuffed reindeer. Now that is really what you call sending coals to Newcastle! Also at Christmas time he often warns small children in supermarkets that they need to be good if they want him to visit - one day he will get himself into trouble!!!
He'd fit right in here... :D I love the beard bit...!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

I just heard of this chatroom - sounds rather curious! Stay on the forum though - or we non-parents will lose you! (Maybe we should badger the Head for an OB chatroom...)
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9