GapYear Pilrimage

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

GapYear Pilrimage

Post by Eruresto »

In my gap year (September 09), I am intending to walk from Gloucester Cathedral to the Vatican City in the manner of Patrick Leigh Fermor's "A Time of Gifts". My route is estimated at 1600 miles and a total of four months.

I am wondering if anyone can help me in any way? My route, if you have Google Earth, is available online at: http://www.esnips.com/web/joshshikeathon, arranged by country.

If anyone knows of any good places that aren't too far out of my way, or can put me up for a night or anything else, I should be most grateful! I am hoping, on the advice of CFR, to write a book on the same lines as aToG.

For those on Facebook, you can also keep up to date with proceedings with my group, which you can search for under the name of "Josh's Hikeathon" if this link doesn't work: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8 ... 374&ref=ts.

On my hike, I will have a blog, which I will update as often as I am able (hopefully once a week at least). The address will follow when I get it!

Josh
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
nastymum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: GapYear Pilrimage

Post by nastymum »

Hello

I can't open the route link for Austria(don't appear to have the right software) on your facebook but I do know someone who lives nearish to Graz if that 's any good. Let me know if it is and I'll let you have their email address.Good luck anyway, it's fabulous idea.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Thank you! I now have a list of towns visited, and as I plot my route I'll put more info up...lots of training in order!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Hello everybody! I now have a full day-by-day plan for the entirety of the UK, beginning August 1st and departing October 12th. This and more is and will be (now working through Germany) at my pilgrimage blog, at http://lethimcomehither.wordpress.com.

Please do let me know if you can help at all :)

Thanks!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eruresto wrote:Hello everybody! I now have a full day-by-day plan for the entirety of the UK, beginning August 1st and departing October 12th. This and more is and will be (now working through Germany) at my pilgrimage blog, at http://lethimcomehither.wordpress.com.

Please do let me know if you can help at all :)

Thanks!

September 21st: London –> Reigate. Again, use public transport to clear London, then walk once in the open.

Keep us updated, myself and El Plummo aren't a million miles away !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Nor me! Do you realise that 21 September is St Matthew's day?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

That`s why he`s there then!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Fjgrogan wrote:Nor me! Do you realise that 21 September is St Matthew's day?
And my birthday!

The first St Matthew's Day I had at CH also fell on 21st & I remember having a party in 2's. (for St Mtthew's Day, not my birthday!)
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Maria, that is your cue to tell the tale of Alison's wedding!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

That is also the reason I'm taking public transport :oops: - no way I'd get to St. Andrew's Holborn from Elstree in time on foot!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Josh.... let me know if I can help around September 27/28/29?

PS Just realised you had your last A level yesterday. Hope you are feeling good!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hope you attain the results you need, Josh ! :D
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Unconditional offer, mate :wink:

Cheers, Kerren - will do! :)
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Hello everyone! Quick update in my last week before I board the 12-hour coach for the Lake District...

- Blog now has my route as far as the German-Austrian border, available at http://lethimcomehither.wordpress.com
- When I go, my co-ordinates at the end of each day will be posted on my Facebook Group and possibly my status as well, together with a short report (something like "camping outside York; weather good; pasta and cheese for dinner. Co-ordinates are blah-dee-blah"). Feel free to join the group if you're on the Face - the link's http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 374&ref=ts
- Still looking for a night in Durham (2nd week of August) and York (maybe a fortnight later), as well as two in London (Saturday & Sunday 19th and 20th), and another night in London in October before I leave the UK - please PM if you can help! Cheers :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eruresto wrote:Hello everyone! Quick update in my last week before I board the 12-hour coach for the Lake District...

- Blog now has my route as far as the German-Austrian border, available at http://lethimcomehither.wordpress.com
- When I go, my co-ordinates at the end of each day will be posted on my Facebook Group and possibly my status as well, together with a short report (something like "camping outside York; weather good; pasta and cheese for dinner. Co-ordinates are blah-dee-blah"). Feel free to join the group if you're on the Face - the link's http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 374&ref=ts
- Still looking for a night in Durham (2nd week of August) and York (maybe a fortnight later), as well as two in London (Saturday & Sunday 19th and 20th), and another night in London in October before I leave the UK - please PM if you can help! Cheers :)
Flippin' 'Eck, Josh ! 12 hours :?: Is it horse-drawn :?: