Wierd Hobbies

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Wierd Hobbies

Post by huntertitus »

Anybody have memories of kids with wierd hobbies?

Here's mine

1) Someone in Barnes B used to enjoy putting live mice into the terrapin tank and crowds would gather to see the gruesome sight of mice being eaten alive.

2) Mark Dawson (I think) used to take me to the barn up at Sharpenhurst, before it burnt down, and he would collect what looked like bird excrement and carefully take it apart with his fingers to find beautiful and extremely delicate birds skulls. The Poo was actually some stuff that owls regurgitate.

3) Roger Highfield used to collect "MOFFS" as he put it and gas them in a killing jar before pinning them proudly among his collection.

I had 2 hobbies:-

1) Walking past Weston's farm to the dump where I found fantastic treasures including a huge 1930's Stentorian loudspeaker, a lovely inlaid mahogany early Victorian clock, and a box of Chanel perfume samplers, among other things.

2) Talking to cows. I got caned for doing this during a football match. The punishment didn't work; I still fall asleep if football is on the TV.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Wierd Hobbies

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote: Talking to cows. I got caned for doing this during a football match.
Did someone have to chase you round the pitch with a cane??
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

You'd have liked to have seen that, wouldn't you

Come on now, admit it!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote:You'd have liked to have seen that, wouldn't you

Come on now, admit it!
It would have had some comedy value! :lol:

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Richard Ruck wrote:
It would have had some comedy value! :lol:
True, but it didn't happen that way, it was the usual "See me in my study"

You may have missed a carrer doing Carry On films with an imagination like that, or perhaps you could have been the next Benny Hill - He used to enjoy having people chased about all the time
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

huntertitus wrote: ...... or perhaps you could have been the next Benny Hill - He used to enjoy having people chased about all the time
I've got that tune going through my head now!

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Sorry rr

I know the tune

Must be driving you nuts

Time for another gin

Do you know how to post pictures on this forum - some have done it so it must be possible

I wanted to put one on who wd recognise you now? post

It wd be quite good to ask people to put their ugliest AND prettiest // most handsome pic on

Most boys wd cheat and put a sean connery pic on I know

Its Monday

I dont like them

How many gins have you poked down that ample throat???
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

There was a guy in Prep B, (the name escapes me), who used to spend every spare moment, doing breakdown blue-prints of modern warships, mainly from MEMORY ! Now that's weird.

Loads in Prep B were into moths and butterflies, using crushed laurel leaves in the jars to gas them. Must have been a slow death.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

On my UF, one of the girls in my year in my house decided to bring her pets back to school one term and kept them in the Upper Dorm under her bed. This was when the senior girls were upper dorm in cubicles. Her pair of white mice regularly appeared out of her pocket during lessons.. I think one escaped in the Rich's Lecture Theatre... Understandably the dorm cleaner got a bit upset by the mice. But worse - we all got upset when her stick insects escaped. The blasted things got everywhere.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Deb GP wrote:On my UF, one of the girls in my year in my house decided to bring her pets back to school one term and kept them in the Upper Dorm under her bed. This was when the senior girls were upper dorm in cubicles. Her pair of white mice regularly appeared out of her pocket during lessons.. I think one escaped in the Rich's Lecture Theatre... Understandably the dorm cleaner got a bit upset by the mice. But worse - we all got upset when her stick insects escaped. The blasted things got everywhere.
I like your story. My housemaster in Barnes B when it was a junior house (ages 11 - 13) decided to let kids keep pets and before he knew it there were a mass of hamsters, mice, fish, and terrapins - I got my hamster to mate with, I think, Paul Pennicott's and 13 babies were produced - all had to be housed by boys in the house and the poor housemaster, a wonderful, kind teacher called "Bwana" Goodall started to regret letting us have pets, especially when the rather testy matron said she found it difficult to sleep with all the squeaking wheels the rodents ran round all night!
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Don't know whether this counts......maybe need a thread on the generally wierd........

anyway, who recalls a couple of blokes who were in Lamb A, I believe in the mid 70s, one of whom had blonde hair, a limp and tended to wear army gear as much as possible, including some sort of scarf........anyway, their weird hobby, or was it just a myth? was going out on Big/Little Side after dark and hurling a sheath knife randomly up in the air and ........ :shock:

do not try this at home children
BaB, ColB 1973-80
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There was a guy a couple of years below me in Maine A who had 2 geckos in his study...

The noise of the crickets in the wind passage between the dorm and the lav ends was interesting...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:The noise of the crickets in the wind passage between the dorm and the lav ends was interesting...
Aaah, those passages! An overnight roosting-place for smelly socks......

Lovely!

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

I wouldn't want crickets up MY passage...
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

There was a guy in MidA (can't remember his name) who used to cultivate stick insects and, from time to time, eat them live !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
James Bishop LHA / MidA 72-78