Scout Camp....

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Scout Camp....

Post by lonelymom »

Quite a few years ago I worked in my local Chemists. The Pharmacist told me that when people start new jobs they tend to get minor illnesses (colds, sore throats etc) for approximately 6 months, because that is how long it takes to build up resistance to the new germs they will come into contact with. Of course, working in that environment, with all those sick people coming in for medicine, was not good for my health :(
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

And just look at how many minor illnesses children pick up when they first start school!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ah yes, the welford scout camp... one of the best venues even with the cowpats, the spring that runs into the canal and that it's on a farm so the only toilet facilities are the elsans!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Update: YOunger son had a couple of days on the sofa last week, and another couple off work as he works with the public.

I haven't shown any signs so far. I will probably get it really badly on its second swing past. Having said that, I haven't had flu since school.

"They" are saying that not so many people have it, but none of my family rang anyone, least of all the 'hotline' and I imagine many others are settling down with the Lemsip and a hot cuppa.

Reports today of the first death after a misdiagnosis, though one of the children who died 'with' swine flu actually had severe tonsillitis.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

actually my post wasn't about the mud on her more the clothes she took.

Despite my previous 10001 lectures about not taking her expensive **at one time** white sweatshirt with her she did!!!!

I'm now about to try and order her a new school tracksuit having managed to seriously outgrow her old one in an academic year :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: HOW much are they again :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

[I'm now about to try and order her a new school tracksuit having managed to seriously outgrow her old one in an academic year :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: HOW much are they again :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :([/quote]

It is not possible to order from Kukri at the moment (last on-line shop closed on 27/07/09 for delivery to school on 25/9/09!) and I do not know when the school will ask for it to open next. I believe that Broadbridges still have some of their tracksuits left and they now sell the tops and trousers separately. Unfortunately I do not have any in the Thrift Shop at the moment.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have only, ever, had Flu once.
Onc upon a time, I used to Exhibit at the Boat Show ( Sounds like a Flasher ! :oops: ) and our MD decided that we should all have anti-flu injections, since the whole World, and it's Family would pass our site.

This was the only time I have ever succumbed. --- there is a Moral somewhere !
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Onc upon a time, I used to Exhibit at the Boat Show ( Sounds like a Flasher ! :oops: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Great Plum wrote:Ah yes, the welford scout camp... one of the best venues even with the cowpats, the spring that runs into the canal and that it's on a farm so the only toilet facilities are the elsans!
Oh happy days. Not my favourite Scout Camp (obvs that was the Wye Valley) but it was still lovely.

As for the mud - I still have a white rugby shirt bought for me on my squits in 1988 that not only am I still waiting to grow into (which should finally be imminent given that I'm expecting) but still, despite various bleachings / vanish applications, has a large mud stain on it from a Scout Youth Hostelling weekend on Leith Hill where we jumped / slid down a rather high / steep slope. Looking at that slope today I can't believe we were jumping down it. Still the rugby shirt is good for house painting.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

I miss Leith Hill so much. Was that a Micklepage weekend? Sadly that's become too expensive now - have to use either YHA Holmbury (still not cheap) or Bentley Copse these days...
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eruresto wrote:I miss Leith Hill so much. Was that a Micklepage weekend? Sadly that's become too expensive now - have to use either YHA Holmbury (still not cheap) or Bentley Copse these days...

It's not far from me, Josh, and nearly had to close a few months ago for financial reasons.

That might have something to do with the cost.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think Wye Valley was probably my favourite too...

I did like being an instructor at Barnswood though as i got to use the showers!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Being an instructor's brilliant wherever you go, you get tea made for you. Unless you're bugling every year in which case you're normally up before the Duty patrol is!

Ever picolloed Reveille, Matt?
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eruresto wrote:Being an instructor's brilliant wherever you go, you get tea made for you. Unless you're bugling every year in which case you're normally up before the Duty patrol is!

Ever picolloed Reveille, Matt?

That's a bit of a personal question, isn't it, Josh ? :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

When I wer a lad --- and a Silver Bugle, at CH, we used to play Bugle Calls during the march into Tea.

I got, as the three of us did, to know all sorts of Calls eg. "Hay up and litter down" and "Charge !" (but they never did !)